• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
i meant no racism in my posts.

I just want to echo Stitchy's sentiments here. I meant no racism in my posts, but I apologize if they came across as such.

Gents I know you're good people and some of my favourite members of this forum (most of whom seem to be TWATters, somehow), and I don't want to bang on about this excessively. But Nuke is right that making "assumptions that may or may not tie in with culture" is the issue. It seems deeply hypocritical in this thread of all places to make assumptions about people who collect expensive watches, while knowing nothing at all about who they are. After all, there are plenty of others who will make assumptions that someone's gold Daytona means he's a pimp/drug dealer, or that the guy at the mall in the Ferrari must have an unusually small penis. All we do know is that they were invited collectors who had some interesting and varied, and often non TWAT-approved pieces. Which is fine. But the automatic attribution of the hackneyed stereotype "oil-rich Arab sheikhs, probably don't know anything just buy whatever's expensive" etc., is not only an unjustified assumption about anonymous strangers, but deliberately demeaning. It's just one of those throwaway remarks that lesser minds assume everyone else accepts, like muggers being black or Jews being stingy, or there being no dentists in England. (OK, that last one is a bit true...)

Of course these things tend to sting more when, as Nuke points out, there is a a basis of truth, and frankly I find Dubai to be the most repellent place, run for and by some of the most hideous people I've ever met (both local, and among the 85% of the population who are foreigners). But I also know a lot of good people from in and around this region, some of them even from the UAE. And just for the record, Dubai doesn't really have any oil, and I think the company in question is actually of Indian origin. More importantly, I think we all know there are good and bad folks everywhere, whatever their taste in watches (!), and I find stereotypes that might be seen as bigoted, to be below the intellectual level of this thread (more suited to Streetwear and Denim, maybe...).

Anyway, I'm sure I'm stating the obvious here; you're all smart guys. I apologise if this comes across as over-worthy or sensitive, which might be ironic as casual racial abuse is a key element of many of my closest personal relationships. I think that's the thing though - it's only funny if it's between friends. Talking of which, I heard PP are making a watch with a karaoke complication. Anyone know who might be interested?
stirpot.gif

We all friends, right?
fistbump.gif

Originally Posted by Newcomer
Also Mimo, back on a more light-hearted topic. That Tank looks delicious. Did you have a chance to try the Solo XL with automatic movement? The quartz does look very nice on your wrist though. As for the Ballon Bleu... eh I would prefer to keep that to the womenz.

It's a 42mm monster; I think it would have to be a mighty woman. But I see what you did there.
tounge.gif

Also, Godzilla has to satisfy mimo's bottom-heavy preferences. I mean, he has to.

Yeah, species and gender I generally take as read before I get to butt shape. You are a peculiar man. But I like you.

Last edited:

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
or there being no dentists in England. (OK, that last one is a bit true...)

Now who is being casually racist?

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I'm English; that part's called "self-deprecating humour".

Anyway, sorry for the digression into do-gooding. I almost forgot the watches in that link. Almost.

The interesting ones, I suppose, should be all those oddities - specially commissioned "collectibles" that are rarely seen. But maybe because I'm not a collector, they are more novelties to me than objects of desire. Ditto the specials from less TWAT-beloved makers like Tag and Hublot: interesting, but I don't want one. It's just refreshing to see something different.

In the objects of desire category, the 5970 is definitely a super-grail. I love everything about it (but I'm with Red Devil, give me a "P" please, Bob...). It's not at all novel or unusual really, in that in simple terms it looks a lot like a dozen other PPs and the layout is hardly unusual. It's just something well-established, done fabulously well. That's why it looks so much like something you'd want to wear (cf 6002G!).

But one thing that's unusual AND massively desirable to me, out of that lot, is this:

And of course, its slender-but-yet-so-special, behind. This, Frilly, is your Kate-whateverhernameisgenericthinblondewoman.
nod[1].gif

I saw one for sale online a little while back, and, other-worldly-priced as it was, it still made me stop fantasising about Langes for...oh...hours...

Last edited:

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watch out Mimo our friends across the water really believe it!

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I would not be prepared to trade a single finger off any one of your hands, for a platinum minute repeater.

That, my dear friends, is bro-love.
inlove.gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

But one thing that's unusual AND massively desirable to me, out of that lot, is this:
And of course, its slender-but-yet-so-special, behind. This, Frilly, is your Kate-whateverhernameisgenericthinblondewoman.
nod%5B1%5D.gif
I saw one for sale online a little while back, and, other-worldly-priced as it was, it still made me stop fantasising about Langes for...oh...hours...
i sold one of those in YG on ebay in december. remember? :bigstar:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I wasn't as thoroughly "TWATted" back in December so might have missed it. But that definitely still scores ten awesomeness points.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I LOVE YOU ALL

<3

And that Patek 10 day whatever it is called is super hawt.

But you know, I really actually like the new Patek 5200 that was released at Basel:

For $60,000, it is a little more approachable than, say, the 10-day one that you linked to. My only qualm is with the faux bridges. That is quite strange to me. But this is definitely one of my favorite rectangular shaped watches out there right now. Especially the blue dialed beauty.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Hehe eight days is enough I guess!

Call me fussy though, but I much preferred the uncomplicated sub seconds. And the black dial (although those are nice too). And it has to be platinum. Because in dreamland, it might as well be perfect. :)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I wasn't as thoroughly "TWATted" back in December so might have missed it.  But that definitely still scores ten awesomeness points.

twas one of the highlights of my career to date. :)

newcommer - that is pretty, but something about the dial throws me. maybe the very overburdened south-side, and the very unburdened north-side? nitpick tho, its a beautiful piece.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I LOVE YOU ALL

So much love for TWAT going around today!

What a lovely vid. I don't think I will ever own a minute repeater in my life. But maybe if I won the lottery or found oil (or natural gas?) in my land, the dominion of which spreads over vast areas, in the millions of acres........

newcommer - that is pretty, but something about the dial throws me. maybe the very overburdened south-side, and the very unburdened north-side? nitpick tho, its a beautiful piece.

There is something about the way Newcomer's name is spelled in this post by Stitchy that made me LOL. But I cannot put my finger on it.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talking of which, I heard PP are making a watch with a karaoke complication. Anyone know who might be interested?

Wait. They are? That would be awesome. But you know what would truly be awesome? A PP that could you could sing into, and record your arias. And then play it back in tune, via a minute repeater mechanism. No software, all mechanical!

fistbump.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads