1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rnguy001

rnguy001 Well-Known Member

That GP is money honey. I think the case:lugs are perfect. Never handled one, but doubt I will be disappointed when I do..

1 person likes this.
  2. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

MY GOD what a shameless bunch of enablers we've got here.

I just kinda threw that out there before lunch...been trying to distract myself from getting a stupid quartz Tank anyway....

And of course, immediately, there's the expected TWAT reaction: "Awesome! Buy it!"

LOL. What would I do without this thread?!

You guys make some very good points. Yes, it is a GP 3300 "manufacture" movement. The price (IMO) would be more than fair for this kind of piece (it is from a gray dealer, but quite a reputable one).

Unfortunately, more to rnguy's point, I haven't even handled this one myself either.

It's all about how she sits and feels on the wrist after all. I would definitely need that 'smile back' reaction before pulling the trigger. To date, I've just ogled some pics.

Looks to me like this one would be fairly 'large' 38...it's more dial than bezel...and I'm definitely in need lust of something on the classier side these days. They also offer a 1966 reference at the larger 41mm.

Of course I'd also want to see how [COLOR=FF00AA]rosy[/COLOR] it looks in real life too.

But thanks for the quick feedback. It really does look like a pretty sweet watch, and it will receive full consideration as a potential purchase.

Newcomer, I'm sending you a PM.

3. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Well-Known Member

LOL seriously. If I didn't read this thread I doubt I would have made any recent watch purchases. These guys really have a way of bolstering your enthusiasm, if you know what I mean.

2 people like this.
  4. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

To comment on the discussion a few pages back, I have no issues with not being able to see the movement of my Speedy 3570. I love that it's exactly the same as the model that went to the moon, and quite frankly there is nothing like the Hesalite for that cool/unusual effect when viewed from the side/angle. The sapphire has a (to me) strange white/frosty look where the sapphire meets the metal on the sides. It was a turn off when viewed side-by-side with the Hesalite version.

On that note, if someone has a lead on the factory black leather gator strap and clasp for the Speedmaster at a discounted price (I think it's like $400 new... :uhoh:) please let me know.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  5. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Well-Known Member

My friend at work just traded an AP Royal Oak Chrono (white face) and a small amount of cash for a Patek Aquanaut 5164. He said he wanted a completely in-house movement. I think this is a disaster move. His other watch is a Patek 5205 so at least he chose wisely there. Will try and get some pictures of the 5164.

6. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

I disagree, I think the 5164 is a fabulous watch. Then again I have a 5167 so what do I know.

7. dddrees

Duplicate post

8. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Well-Known Member

Wow, you must really disagree. I much prefer the 5167 to the 5164 - cleaner.

9. dddrees

It's not that I prefer the 5164 over the 5167, however I do think the 5164 is a great watch..

10. durdanta2

durdanta2 Active Member

also disagree i love the 5164, and the aquanaut in general, although i prefer the uncomplicated dial of the 5167. I fell in love with the aquanaut after trying it on and have always preferred it over the nautilus (sacrilege i know) which has never done much for me. :hide: Who knows maybe its because im a younger guy (pateks target demo for the aquanaut)... any one else feel the same? and willing to admit it?

11. academe

academe Well-Known Member

JLC have a much longer history of being a true manufacture (compared to IWC that only recently began making everything in-house) and a reputation for producing high quality movements. They regularly supply movements to two of the big three (AP, VC) and designed the now legendary ultra-thin automatic calibre 2120/2121/2122...

12. academe

academe Well-Known Member

My interest in ultra-thins was renewed recently when I read an article on the ALS Saxonia Thin and also reading this comparative review of the VC Patrimony Contemporaine. I'm still on my quest for a very minimalist dress watch...And have been tempted along the way by the VC Patrimony Traditionelle and AP Jules Audemars Extra Thin (both reviewed here)...Also the Parmigiani Fleurier Tonda 1950 Any thoughts from the WIS? Must confess that the ALS and VC Patrimony Contemporaine are my current running favourites...

13. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

legit lol'ed.

---

did you buy it yet, keith?

14. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

No I haven't stitchy.

Rest assured that any koppage will be fully publicized in this space. :D

15. in stitches

do it sooner than later please. :)

16. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

You got pretty much universal approval bud. I say you gotta go for it!

And... in regards to the Aquanaut question... I actually really like the Aquanaut. Well, at least the "head" of the watch. I am not really sure I understand the rest of the watch. I think it makes a great second Patek. I have tried it on, and enjoyed it. The one thing that draws me to the Aquanaut are the "user reviews." Everybody who owns one absolutely loves it. And I really think that speaks volumes. Heck, even John Mayer said that it is one of his favorite watches. Then again, everyone who owns a Nautilus or an AP RO also seems to love them. So maybe it is just a lovable sub-genre.

1 person likes this.
  17. member2000r

member2000r Well-Known Member

18. dddrees

Yep, by owning all three that you mentioned I guess I just fall into that lovable sub-genre. LOL

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  19. in stitches

POAST A PIC OF ALL 3 TOGETHER!!!!

20. dddrees

My pleasure.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.