1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Well-Known Member

Wow ... looks like a spaceship

1 person likes this.
  2. marvin100

marvin100 Well-Known Member

3. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Was that strap review by Gazman70K?

If so, he was on SF until early last year, when he seemed to decide to take a break after his epic thread on his and maomao's Italian tailoring journey.

He still sometimes blogs (along with one or two others, I believe) at "The Sydney Tarts", a blog about watches and also about food in Sydney.

1 person likes this.
  4. tchoy

tchoy Well-Known Member

Not my cup of tea but the details and workmanship is amazing. I had the pleasure of meeting Maximilian Büsser the creator of MBnF last year, he is very nice bloke and very passionate about his watches. If I were to pick a watch from the brand it will be one the LM1 Legacy Machine. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

I really like them a lot. Its a watch I definitely look forward to seeing in person. In fact, it was the only watch released at SIHH that I thought was fresh, interesting, and could some day be on my list of must haves. Granted, I have not seen it yet in person, but I really like it. Its definitely a brand that is IMHO, very under appreciated, but their quality and workmanship is top notch. While not a member of the Big Three, its a brand who's quality, complications, and workmanship are such that IMHO, its a direct competitor with them (other than in terms of popularity...its not as well known as the Big Three).

Its also nice to see a brand come up with a new concept for an ultra-thin. Today, it seems most brands just focus on making bigger & thicker watches, with little regard to how many people can truly wear oversized watches without looking like they borrowed a watch belonging to an bigger brother who hits the gym a lot more frequently. Kudos to Piaget for offering something different and in a wearable size!

I love seeing older watches that have all their boxes, papers, and other items that were provided to owners when the watches were cool. Pocket watches never really excite me, even from the big three...but again for an older watch to have boxes and papers, you know the owner cherished it and took good care of it. Spending Sunday with some nice watches, sounds pretty good to me.

Name of it....Metal Rocket Boobs...seems like an accurate name for that one. While I like seeing companies do something different, I just wouldn't spend good money on something that really isn't wearable to anything other than a Mad Max or Star Trek convention.

6. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

Please think carefully before buying Metal Rocket Boobs watch. Think of what sort of person the watch was designed for.

[​IMG]

7. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Also, the kind of person who carefully but casually positions his wrist shot to include the SLS AMG in the background

8. Dino944

Hayward, you crack me up...got a good laugh from the photo.
    I've seen that guys posts on IG. I find him to be mostly flash, but not truly having a sense of style.

9. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

I love the Piaget Altiplano. As Dino mentioned it does not get the respect of the Big 3 but they do have then ice Altiplano line and their Black Tie line isn't too flashy. Some of their other lines I do not like but I haven't found a company where I like everything they make.

10. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

I have to bow to superior knowledge re the Piagets. They are competing in a serious price bracket with some big hitters which would make me rule em out. Having read Nuke and Dino I am swayed though. Anyway at that price point it is about window shopping right now for me.

Had to do some work today and went like tis, trying to match brown and pink.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  11. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

:cheers:

yeah, the PW is not my thing either, but having the orig box and papers is really cool. the dial and hands are also beautiful. but what impressed me most was how well it still runs.

12. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

I was hoping that you would weigh in, I know that you are a fan of Piaget. It really is a shame that they do not get more "respect." I have to say though, the PiageT kind of bothers me. I wish they did away with that. I really like the font, but that damn T.

I too would really like to see it. I look forward to checking it out in the metal.

And I concur, it is nice to see progression that is not mere evolution. And the beauty of this new watch is that I really am not sure why the idea did not come about earlier. It is a simple idea masterfully executed.

Which one is your favorite of the two? I really like the pink gold for some reason. Pink gold and grey is such an attractive combination. I could see myself picking one of these up, especially at the "relatively" modest price. If this watch was put out by one of the big three, I could see it retailing for an obnoxiously larger price.

13. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Nice name!

14. mtc2000

mtc2000 Well-Known Member

15. Dino944

I've yet to find a company, from which I find I like everything they produce, and that goes for AL&S, Patek, AP, VC, Piaget, JLC, Rolex, Panerai, Zenith, GO...etc. I'm not a huge fan of AL&S's perpetual calendar (and for years I disliked the Datograph), Patek (I dislike their annual calendars), AP (I don't like the Offshore ROs, the Scuba might be the exception), VC ( I don't like the Quai de l'lle) and I could keep going. If someone finds a brand and they like everything the brand makes they are either very lucky, or very easy to please.

Looking sharp Cleav. As for Piaget relative to the big three...while Piaget does make watches in the same range as the Big Three, if you compared complications or time only models, you would find the Piaget to be a bargain. A time only Altiplano before a discount is easily about 10K less than a comparable Patek or AP, and a VC might be a bit less than a 10K difference. If one already has scratched their itch for something from the Big Three, or if one likes a slightly less obvious choice...then Piaget is a great choice.

Nuke...embrace the "T." Its cool. I love that its a bit different than how most other makers sign a dial. Its an odd and unexpected way to add some symmetry in an unexpected place. For me, often times its these small nuances that help me to appreciate the individuality of a brand. So again, I say embrace it and move forward.

I'm not really sure which version I prefer. I generally prefer pink gold (but usually when paired with a silver dial rather than a dark dial). White gold is really not my thing, I've only owned one watch in white gold, and I lost interest in it quickly and just kept its steel sibling that I also owned. So I think these are pieces I will need to see in person before I would know which one really speaks to me. Without a doubt if the name on the dial was PP, AP, or VC we would be seeing at least another $10K for this piece. I have had a desire to add a Piaget to my collection at some point. Whether this would be the one...only time will tell. However, as I said earlier this was the only watch released at SIHH that even remotely peaked my interest.

16. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Well-Known Member

Take it with a grain of salt because I've never been a big Paneristi, but I can't see how a Panerai fan wouldn't like everything they make.... they really mostly look the same to me.

1 person likes this.
  17. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

It's true that there are basically only two Panerais (OK, four at a push), but I can certainly understand someone not liking, say, ceramic cases, or smaller ones, or one shape or the other, or certain dial layouts...

I mean, it's no surprise that people who like watches seem to be fussy motherfuckers, is it?

1 person likes this.
  18. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I don't think it's reasonable to expect that you'd like absolutely everything a company makes. No one's perfect.

I've traditionally been a big fan of ALS, JLC, Apple, BMW, Porsche and John Lobb - just to name stuff off the top of my head - and all those brands have released some real dogs

19. tchoy

tchoy Well-Known Member

I do owned a few Panerais but there are many that they produced that I don't like.

Pam 232 with JV strap

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  20. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

^^ Sweeet.

Struggling to think of a "real dog" from Lange or Lobb, but I think the point is valid nonetheless. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.