1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

indeed!

that is interesting. i think the general styling of that reverso just lends more to that strap. the elegant moon-phase and indices shape on your MUT moon just make it a much more dressy watch. i think round v rectangle also play in here.

1 person likes this.
  2. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

Good points all around.

Also, in regards to the dark brown strap--I would caution against too dark of a brown. I really am not sure how well a dark brown strap would go with this watch. I think navy, maybe even a dark grey would look nice.

3. mezentius

mezentius Well-Known Member

^I'm going to point out the louvre-like things on the case of the reverso. Helps to tie in the rougher texture, as opposed to the stark contrast between the totally smooth and polished MUT case and the ostrich.

So what's the deal with changing straps? Thinking about ordering a navy croc for my MUT grande from CF - can I change it myself or do I have to get someone to do it for me?

4. in stitches

thats a good point about the art-deco lines in the reverso case.

you can change it yourself, but you have to be careful. if you have never done so before, id recommend taking it somewhere trustworthy and watching them so you can learn for yourself.

5. Newcomer

Open up my picture in a new window, and look at the lug above one o'clock. If you notice, near the strap, there is a nice little ding. That little bugger is a direct result of the spring bar tool slipping, and I have changed many-a-strap.

Frankly, I don't really trust shops either. At the end of the day, to be perfectly honest, it just adds a little bit of wabi sabi if you get a ding, scuff, etc. It is going to happen eventually, it is inevitable.

Good call on the textural difference. The MUT Moon is definitely a much... smoother watch.

6. in stitches

Agree about the wabi sabi and the inevitablity of scratches, but if youve never changed a strap before you could really scratch it up badly. Also, steady hands are best.

7. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

Stitchy, the Pam 210 is a great choice, one of the few I would consider should I ever pick up another Pammy. I think the Radiomir lends itself perfectly to a base dial, but (without checking) they don't have something like this anymore, do they? (Actually, I think my perfect Panerai would be a reduced Radiomir (42mm), steel with solid caseback, brown base dial and a slightly curved crystal (plexi or sapphire).)

On straps for the MUT, I'll second both Dino (I don't like ostrich, exept maybe from the leg, which I don't believe looks as plagued?, and not a fan of light straps, but I had to get one to find that out), and Stitchy, with his dark brown gator suggestion. Something along the lines of Cleav's Radiomir strap (without the contrasting stitching), would be perfect, I think.

Isn't the Reverso's dial silver as well?

1 person likes this.
  8. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

An example of a smurf blue dial is the WG Submariner. See this in person then comparing it to even the 2-tone YG/SS Sub is a huge difference.

[​IMG]

As for strap preferences. I have not ventured out on my Hamilton as I quite love the brown calf it is on. If I were to change I may go some sort of vintage leather because gator is a little too formal for the case.

9. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

Earlier Dino asked for a lume shot of my Seiko, so here it is!

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  10. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Well-Known Member

Did someone say navy croc?

[​IMG]

This is one of the most gorgeous watch's I've ever seen

1 person likes this.
  11. in stitches

i dont know what the current line up is, but you can always find a 210 around. i am a sucker for sapphire case-backs though, so id always prefer that route, and im glad the 112 and 210 both have that feature. not an amazing looking movement, but nice to look at.

isnt it though!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  12. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

both those JLCs on ostrich are great fellas! :nodding:

and Superfluous.. I second Stitchy... that Glashutte is indeed lovely.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  13. MatthewG18

MatthewG18 Active Member

I absolutely love that strap! Black and brown are to normal, the blue pops!
    Frills good choice mate! [​IMG]

14. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Current line up has two Rads, 337 and 439 both 42mm

The value though, for me, will be the 210 market.

Beauty

I love that Reverso

15. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

The 337 definitely comes close to what I have in mind, had it come with a base dial (no seconds). And, as blasphemous and un-historically correct as it may be, I would prefer an automatic movement.

Mostly I just find it strange that they don't offer a base Radiomir.

16. Newcomer

Agreed, that is a great, great picture. And my favorite of Frilly's watches.

17. rnguy001

rnguy001 Well-Known Member

Stitchy and Cleav - the 210 is awesome. Used to be so desired but kind of got lost in the past few years with all the attention on the new models. But you can't beat that classic and I think people are realizing it now..

again, might make an exception for the 210 even though no date. But for me - the 190.. that is scrumptious

R

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  18. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

RNG, the190 is indeed a real bloke's watch :nodding:

19. in stitches

210 is where its at for me for the simplicity of it all. 2 hands, sandwich dial, sapphire case back, onion crown, classic design. thats what i want.

1 person likes this.
  20. rnguy001

rnguy001 Well-Known Member

Get it Stitch - it's delicious

R

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.