1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

+1 Spot on my maaaan! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Both excellent points to live by.

The real keepers tend to be more fun in the long run, and the quick easy ones tend to be short lived fads.

1 person likes this.
  3. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Well-Known Member

Definitely. Although, in that sense, I think the Sub is about the least offensive of the "sports themed" watches, as it's no less rugged than it ever was and still performs its originally intended purpose.

Yes, agreed. Although, the nice thing about the Sub is that even if you don't dive with it, you can actually use it to track ellapsed time--in the bar, at the desk, or waiting for your pizza to be delivered. Along those same lines, I was looking at some watches for sale yesterday and realized I had no idea what the purported function is of the complication in the Yachtmaster II. After reading about it, I would hazard a guess that the YMII complication is rarely (if ever) used for it's purpose!

Interesting. The one on strap, was it SS or gold? Food is great at all locations at El Tiempo, although for some reason at the Montrose one they put bowtie pasta in the rice (WTF?). Dammit I have been on a super clean diet since New Year's and you are making me think bad thoughts!! :)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Well-Known Member

Isn't that the truth! I've seen the AP prices spike significantly since they raised dealer cost just 3 weeks ago.

5. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

Fun piece:

[​IMG]

Keeper piece:

[​IMG]

Both, I assume, priced rather high.

1 person likes this.
  6. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

LOL @ frilly

:fonz:

7. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

That's definitely a fun piece...but a keeper too!
    Yes, one can use the bezel to track elapsed time in a bar or for pizza delivery, but that is pretty far from its original purpose and you don't need a Sub to do those things. In the end, I've never used my Sub for diving, but I still enjoy it.

As for the Yachtmaster II, IMHO one of the ugliest modern Rolex watches available. Even if its purpose was far more useful to the average person, I wouldn't buy one.

8. rnguy001

rnguy001 Well-Known Member

Beauty..

1 person likes this.
  9. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

The Yachtmaster with its blue dial and red hands is very pretty. Like a modern day Stitchy ToG. As for the Yachtmaster II....I don't know what is going on. I will defer to the IWC discussion on the last page and assume they have computers for that. I doubt racing on the high seas and trying to read the watch on you wrist is easy.

1 person likes this.
  10. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

I <3 U guise! Have a great weekend errbody.

Agree with TC. imho, the sub is a true sports watch, as rugged, reliable and utilitarian as it gets. truly not just a sports themed watch.

1 person likes this.
  11. Viral

Viral Well-Known Member

Strap was SS.....thing was blinging across the whole bar area......

We ordered that sizzler thing they put on your table with sausage, steak and scrimp.......mmmmmm!!! They also make great micheladas!

12. marvin100

marvin100 Well-Known Member

I have one of these and like it a lot (my wife wears it these days and loves it). I like that most people around me don't know what it is, I like the shape of the pushers and how cylindrical the case is, and I love that generation of IWC bracelets. I don't dive and if I ever do I'm sure I'll use a dive computer. The idea that these mechanical marvels are desirable to us for "practical" reasons is cute, I guess, but hardly credible.

[​IMG]

13. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

Not So Fast.

When your eyes get weak like mine you will appreciate the readability of a dive watch. Plus I use the bezel on my 1680 all the time. I actually prefer it to the ISO rated bezels of today's watches because it works faster for casually timing things.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  14. marvin100

marvin100 Well-Known Member

Sure, there are always exceptions.

15. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Survived Burns night, but too much sauce!

This taken before refreshments

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

@Dino944, I noticed you quoted my IWC rant in your recent post #28455 without commenting on it. IIRC you agree on the Pilot chronos, but I was wondering if you had other thoughts that might have gotten lost in that post?

17. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

That's a beauty, Cleav.

1 person likes this.
  18. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

That one was my first automatic as well - I kinda miss it.

19. Texasmade

Texasmade Well-Known Member

Mine too. This is my only nice watch that I have and I've worn it everyday since I've bought it a couple of years ago.

20. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.