1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Haha I'm just getting started on real watches, got my Hamilton khaki last week
    [​IMG]

And would probably get nomos then maybe this one if I could find it: [​IMG]

One pair of Saint Crispins I can live without. Not sure if I can live without rare horse butt!

2. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Well-Known Member

Thanks! Oh yes, I completely agree with you that for a daily you want something smaller. I think the 41mm Royal Oak is the max size that I could tolerate under the cuff and with a suit/sport coat.

3. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

Going vintage, something like this would certainly fit the bill:

[​IMG]

(Found that pic in the 4 year old thread where I last asked around for this kind of watch.)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    3 people like this.
  4. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

Looks good! I have the same watch (Hamilton) and wore it yesterday. It takes a beating and keeps on ticking.

5. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

kalplan that is stunning. id love to have that watch but in gold.

1 person likes this.
  6. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

+1

I agree, especially about working to enable him to pick up a 15202! There really wasn't much in terms of new releases that truly peaked my interests. While the incredibly complicated pieces are cool and are often a way to show a company's technical abilities and imagination, they are often priced at astronomical levels that only the wealthiest of collectors can afford. Oh, well, hopefully there will be some interesting offerings at Basel.
    Sadly, I'm not surprised. I find their SA's there uninformed, pushy, unprofessional, and generally a waste of my time. That BS about going with a smaller watch if you are older, but because of your age you need a large watch to make a statement is completely ridiculous. That's just a bunch of sales talk.

I agree with TC, that there are brands that have always made larger watches, and have continued to do so for historic reasons. However, there are a good number of brands that have all increased their watch case sizes to follow the larger watch trend. This is true of even some of the top brands such as Patek, AP, and VC. Years ago Calatravas were around 32-34mm. Now the smallest I believe is around 35 and they make some that are 38 mm. This is not a new trend, its been going on for 10+ years. In the end, its important to find what you like, what works with your needs and your sense of style. Its the same as buying a suit, not every cut or maker is right for every person. Some are a better fit for some people both physically and in terms of their sense of style. Find the right one for you and regardless of how the watch size trend goes, you will have a watch that you will enjoy for a very long time.

Good luck with your journey to choosing the right watch.

7. robw

robw Well-Known Member

+1 on all of the above

A good example of watches that may seem trendy but are based in history in my view, is the IWC Portuguese. If you look at the history of the watch it was originally produced in 1939 using a pocket watch mvmt and was 43mm or so in size, HUGE in those days. The current models are in may ways faithful to this, in size and aesthetic.

I happen to think the perpetual calendar models are absolutely stunning, although the one posted earlier in this thread (rose gold/black dial, looks like a ref 5032 ) is my least favorite combination. Way nicer are the ref 5023 in rose gold with white dial or in white gold with dark grey dial. There is another ref 5032 in white gold with a beautiful blue dial but I don't care for the overall dial design. Much too cluttered IMO

[Full disclosure: I own a couple]

8. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

I'm so glad you came to this conclusion that I just took a (rather crappy) pic:

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

Haha, Kap I was wondering when you were gonna say, "Told ya so!" Should have trusted the pro from day one.

10. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

:cheers:

Btw, totally not a pro, I just have the taste of a stodgy, grumpy old man :laugh:

1 person likes this.
  11. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Kap, that Seamaster looks v noice :nodding:

I may go back to the DJ and compare...

I had a blue day today.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  12. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what reference this is?? I want.

13. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

Not crappy!

Quoted just for the next page re-post!

14. akatsuki

akatsuki Well-Known Member

Quick throw on the wrist (need to get the dealer to remove some links still)

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Congrats!!! Enjoy it!

16. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Well-Known Member

+1, so awesome! Really want one of these!

17. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Yeah baby :slayer:

18. in stitches

This. Looks great.

Also, with a small precision screwdriver you can take links out yourself and make the micro adjustments on the clasp.

Also, does the BLNR have the bracelet where you can fold up the last link next to the clasp to make it tighter a bit without any tools?

19. akatsuki

akatsuki Well-Known Member

I'll let the Rolex service center take care of it. I need to have a link added into another Rolex I have anyway (a Yachtmaster I have from my father, it is just a bit too tight right now).

20. in stitches

Sounds good. I just personally enjoy doing those tinkerings. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.