1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

Post picture of baby on beach holding sand to signify WIN here.

2. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

You know, I saw this post years ago at Leffot, and it has stuck with me for quite sometime! I finally caved in when I went to New York. They are stupidly, unbelievably comfortable. This last weekend, I legitimately went hiking (in the Appalachian mountains... err foothills) with them. Sockless. No blisters.

http://leffot.com/tag/leffot-ivy-loafer-navy-shell-cordovan/

And I really do like the Speedmaster Moonphase aesthetically--it is a great watch. But I just have a general qualm with that combination of complications. In some regard or another, I like purposive timepieces. A timepiece that sticks to a theme, and embodies a certain ideal. That is one of the beautiful things about the Perpetual Calendar Chronograph--to me, it embodies a mastery of time. It calculates everything from seconds to years. It is poetic. The original Speedmaster has a similar purity, and at least in my case, I do not believe that the Moonphase makes it a more coherent watch. The moonphase is a beautiful complication--easily my favorite aesthetically. But I feel like it clashes with the general purpose of a sports watch.

Of course, this is just me being a nerd :).

Well, that diabolical plan is working perfectly. With what y'all are doing though, I will end up buying both :).

Also, that Cayman is awesome! I hope to transition straight from my 'Yota to Porsche, after a good amount of saving and prudence.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  3. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

I must have missed this moonphase discussion. A Speedy with moonphase? Seems like it will be just as crowded as the OP who mentioned the Speedy day/date.

As for other posts in life, congrats to TC on the business opportunity and Dino on the new car. When I first saw the insta pic in its wrapping I thought you got a 918...

As for my personal outside of TWAT news February not only brings my marriage (2 weeks away!) but also a new house. Got word over lunch ours is as good as sold and our offer is waiting to be signed. New watch funds will be routed directly to new decorating funds and I doubt a JLC Atmos is in the cards for a mantle piece...

4. MatthewG18

MatthewG18 Active Member

[​IMG] yeah thats kinda me in a nutshell, I'm trying to post more often but i don't have the copious amounts of knowledge in watches as the rest of you "regulars" have

5. akatsuki

akatsuki Well-Known Member

Just pulled the trigger on a BLNR...

4 people like this.
  6. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Congrats. Where'd you score? :lurk:

7. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

Awesome! Congrats! So many BLNRs on this thread, very cool!

8. DLJr

DLJr Well-Known Member

@Newcomer
    @mimo
    As someone who saw those slip ons in person on Nuke, I approve. They aren't my style, but after seeing them on Nuke I was nearly converted enough to kop.

9. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I don't know as much either. Don't even know what a blnr is

10. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

^^Rolex GMT Master II with a black and blue ceramic bezel.

11. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Btw heard back from my sweetie at the AD. Panerai repair is gonna cost me $180 for "general service and refit". I asked her what that meant and she answered in somewhat vague terms. Oh well, she's such a cutie that all is forgiven

12. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Thank you :) googled it but still didn't get it

13. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

H, that's a very good deal. So good I'd ask about details. Sounds like any excuse to speak to Bella!

14. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

Dino944 - congrats on the car! Waiting for you to post those pics. Awesome stuff!

akatsuki - 'Grats on the BLNR!

Nuke, what was that?

[​IMG]

And you know I highly approve of the "can't decide between two beauties? Get both" philosophy!

----------------------------

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

1 person likes this.
  15. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

Somewhat on topic.

I have several perpetual calendars. And yet I still want to get this calendar. Why is that?

[​IMG]

----------------------------

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

16. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Dino - SWEET ride!

17. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Well-Known Member

The Joke down there goes, "how can you tell someone works in the oil patch? 9 fingers and a rolex"

2 people like this.
  18. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

Well since everyone seems to be pining for sleeper brands, let me throw this up and ask what people think of it. Not so much the brand, we've discussed Grand Seiko before, but what do people think of the look of this particular model?

[​IMG]

19. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

20. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

^^^ Not overly fond of the power reserve indicator or the somewhat blocky crown guards.

There are a few GS models I would likely select over this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.