1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

^^^Such a great phase of ownership^^^ Enjoy!

I'm wearing the Roadster, back in the office today (old pic):

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  2. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

^^ very nice! ^^

speaking of cartier, anyone need a gift for a lady friend? :devil:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    2 people like this.
  3. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

Stichy - Does the Cartier look that flat in person? Maybe that particular watch is hard to photograph but when comparing it to the Roadster above, which is quite lovely, the one you posted seems to be lacking in that department. Hopefully this made sense.

4. in stitches

not sure what you mean by flat, but its freaking gorgeous irl. :)

5. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

@Keith T lovin that roadster :nodding:

6. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

I took some pictures so I thought I'd post here since it features my watch. I don't really own expensive watches, so here's a nice, but I think, good and stylish Seiko Premier Chronograph.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I pretty much only wear Seikos. Right now I do not see the appeal of going up in price range and brands; I'd rather go more upscale with other parts of my wardrobe first (as this thrifted jacket might indicate), still I appreciate the sweet watches posted here.

2 people like this.
  7. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

It looks like there is no depth from the crystal to the dial. I will take your word on the look irl

8. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

Watch plans for 2014? Finally getting around to actually selling my Luminor. And if I win the lottery, a RO Jumbo :satisfied: (and maybe a Speedy original; plexi + solid case back plz).

Meanwhile, I'm looking for a new, rather specific strap and hoping that someone here might know where to locate it.

It's for a Mk XV, that came on a black buffalo strap with a deployant buckle, but I have a 16mm tang buckle, so the strap needs to be 19/16mm (or if I ponied up for the 18mm tang buckle, 19/18mm).

I already got a dark brown cordovan (the ones Leffot in NYC sells), that looks like this:

[​IMG]

but I'm not very happy with it; it's too dark and I dislike the large stitches. Not particular fond of the cordo either.

So, I'm looking for a lighter brown strap in plain calf or buffalo (no exotics for this watch), with either a same colour or a contrasting ivory stich. It should be lined and the stitches neat (and no box stitching).

The specific colour of brown I'm searching for, is pretty much exactly like this one - so far the closest I've found is this:

[​IMG]

Rather particular, I know :embar: - but short of going custom, does anyone have a recommendation?

9. Keith T

Isolation, nice look and nice Seiko....you will find they get plenty of respect here.

Stitchy, I've never warmed up to the design of the Ballon Bleu, and THANK GOD my "lady friend" is not into watches. But I will say that Cartier is going to be an appealing piece for many of our ovarian-enabled population. Looks pristine.

Kaplan, sorry I can't help with a specific strap recommendation, but I think that Hirsch might work as a "close-enough" option.

Hell, I don't see what's so bad about the cordovan one in the first place.

I mean, I can see what you're saying about it being pretty dark, but that's not necessarily such a bad thing. You know how when you look at something (not necessarily a watch strap) from a distance, and you think it looks black-- or your brain registers it that way-- but then when you get closer, you realize it isn't black, and it actually has that "surprise depth" to it. Sometimes I find that appealing.

Having said that, if you don't like the stitching or material, I can understand. I'm pretty picky about my straps too. And that's a great Mark XV.

2 people like this.
  10. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

Quite nice. It looks good on you.

What you said inspired me to write a brief thought.

As some of you may know (or have noticed), I was first interested in clothing before I started to spend the bulk of my time looking into watches. Although I still am interested in shoes, clothing, etc., I have found that watches provide (at least for me) me with so much more enjoyment than those other parts of my wardrobe. Unlike my favorite pair of shoes, I can wear my favorite watch every darn day. It is not uncomfortable, it does not fit differently if I have gained or lost weight, I don't worry about wearing it in the rain, I don't need to think about how it will pair with various accessories. I can just strap it on and admire it. Additionally, a watch is not afflicted with the same temporal constraints as clothing. If a watch is well taken care of, it can last for generations, easily. It can also look great with very little maintenance. There is no need to shine it, or brush it, or dryclean it, or wash it, etc. Simply wipe it down with a cloth at the end of the day. There is also less chance of it getting "injured." Nothing is worse that getting a grease stain on a tie, or someone spilling coffee on you, or (if you are into cars) somebody rear ending your vehicle. The only dings I have in my watches have been put there by none other than myself.

It is the one thing that I own that has almost become a part of me. And without me, it will not function. The only thing that has seen more is maybe my car, and it has seen a lot :D.

Just a little bit of musing on why my watches give me so much enjoyment.

And Keith and Stitchy, nice Cartiers :).

Oh yeah, and Frills, the links look pretty damn delicious. Nice combo.

1 person likes this.
  11. Zeppelin

Zeppelin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Hm, okay that's just a dirty photoshop mockup, but while I love the Mk XV I'd keep it on a black strap. Either black leather or black Nato. Sand Nato might work as well for a cool military look. FWIW, my previous boss used to carry her Mk XV Spitfire on a military green/muddy green Nato (not camou!). It looked stunning. But the Spitfire had a lighter, non-black dial.

If you like the Hirsch strap, isn't that one available in 19/16 or what?

12. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Well-Known Member

Uggghh, you know what sux? Going watchless to the office because you're expecting to find a new one in box sitting on your desk when you arrive, and then it's not there! Apparently there was some bad weather up northeast on Friday? Anyways, my watch didn't make it onto the plane, so won't be here until tomorrow. Another looong night. LOL

13. Keith T

14. in stitches

^^ :( ^^

I see what you mean. Thats an angle think. With the overhead lighting and camera flash, its really hard sometimes to keep reflections off the crystal. So I resort to odd angles to capture the dial without light flashes obscuring it.

Sometimes it leads to cool pics, but it can also cause the flat look you see here.

15. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

TC Dat weather clearing? You going bare tomorrow? I'm with yer man. :lurk:

16. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Well-Known Member

It's unseasonably (superseasonably?) cold here and will be tomorrow as well (overnight in 20's), but it hasn't been disruptive at all. I'm looking at the tracking info and FedEx doesn't seem to anticipate any delays. Yes I will be bare tomorrow, gotta keep the faith! LOL

17. CHRK33

CHRK33 Well-Known Member

Just wanted to share a belated pic of my Christmas/wedding gift from my little sister - I know the Mark XVII doesn't get lots of love here, but considering the context and the fact that it was a thoughtful and charming gift (the Le Petit Prince tie-in), I really do love this watch. Even with my Reverso 1931 and 15202, this will get a ton of wear. I really love it.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. in stitches

that is an awesome gift.

2 people like this.
  19. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

TC Rock and roll man, I'm feeling it across the pond. god speed to your package (!)

Chrk33 you've been a good brother man, obviously well deserved. Wear in good health

20. CHRK33

CHRK33 Well-Known Member

Thanks, stichy and Cleav. Much appreciate the kind words.

I feel very lucky to have such a great and accomplished sister and now such a lovely timepiece. It really is awesome on the wrist - the blue dial really is dynamic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.