1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Dino - thanks. End of the evening, several little marks...as I said, it's not a very practical choice. But that's the price of gorgeousness. :)

2. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Thanks Dino kind words indeed, much appreciated. I'm encouraged to swell the strap collection, as per many Paneristi, and change over the strap myself when the mood takes me. However, the AD strongly advised not to as the Rad is more difficult to do. To be fair they said I could drop by anytime and they'll do it but what the ...

V interesting view on the IWCs. In looking at it now I'm seeing in a different light i.e. That look at that price point there is more out there.

----------------------------

Mimo - it's a price worth paying!

3. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

Look what I found in the melting snow and dirty ice!

[​IMG]

----------------------------

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

4 people like this.
  4. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Well-Known Member

Oh boy . . . T-minus 24 hours.

5. alpyigit

alpyigit Well-Known Member

Another GP from the collection. The photo is not great but chose to post because it captures the blue hands nicely.. Time to time, I get a bug for certain brands, go on a buying spree and then work hard to rebalance the collection. 3 GPs in 6 months is a bit much but like them all.. (Yeah they are a pain in the secondary market!)

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

:slayer: :bounce2: :slayer:

7. Chuckie Egg

Chuckie Egg Well-Known Member

That's a great watch, Roger. Here's its chronometer cousin saying hello... :)

[​IMG]

Universal used this style of faceted markers in the 1940s, as can be seen in some vintage compax, along with this blued steel hand with the spear counterweight. The bombe lugs were first made a brand feature by Universal in the early 50s with the Polerouter (Universal was the first watch house that Genta designed for) although of course they existed before. Nowadays Omega is probably the brand most well known for bombe lugs but it didn't feature with them until the late 50s/early 60s, which coincidentally was when Genta was working for Omega. Thanks again for sharing, Roger :)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. TC (Houston)

I seriously have no self control, and you are such an enabler! Lol Stay tuned . . .

9. in stitches

10. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Gents I picked up this Art Deco watch at an antique shop on the weekend. It's a manual Incablock from the Marvin Watch Co of Switzerland. I haven't been able to find out much about this company. Does anybody know much about the watches that they were making a that time? [​IMG]

11. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Well-Known Member

Received a couple watch straps -- British racing green and burgundy -- from Hughes just now. Very pleased with the commissions. Hides are top-notch and hand stitches are neat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  12. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Alpyigit: I really like that - love the feuille hands and the contrast of blueing and rose gold. The quirky Arabic numbers make it kind of friendly too. That's real charisma.

BBSC: Straps look very nice, congrats. Watches are even nicer ;)

On a complete tangent, here's something that made me smile, and that Frilly and Stitch will recognise as a representation of my deepest inner nature.

[​IMG]

In the mean time, here's a great rear end to get us back on track. Sorry for the diversion. Thank you.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Chuckie, that UG Chronometer is gorgeous - thanks for posting. I'm a sucker for dauphine hands.

14. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

I really like their watches a lot, particularly the their 1966 collection pieces such as yours. However, as you have noted, the secondary market on them is very tough, so I've been hesitant to pick up a GP. Fantastic looking watch, enjoy it!

I have lots of watch books/reference materials at home, but I've never heard of that brand. Your best bet is to search the net and see what you can find out about that watch/brand. Good luck.

15. in stitches

bboys - very nice straps, very nice watches.

1 person likes this.
  16. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

Loving the TWAT lately. The PAM on brown croc is lovely. The GP above has interesting contrast the just draws you in. TC with his 24hrs comment making our mouths water.

My time crunch has been less on watches and more on buying/selling houses lately. Spending similar amount of time looking at the nuances and quirks of each house and which one I want to sink my hard earned pennies into. The other option is a cardboard box and a PP!!!

17. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

^^^^ LOL how many guys are thinking, "If I only had a nickel for every time I've clicked a link like that...." ^^^

alpyigit, that's a lovely GP

California Dreamer, that's an interesting tank-style watch....can't say that I'm familiar with Marvin, though.

1 person likes this.
  18. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Thanks re the Pam

Ps live under a bridge and have a pp for both wrists

----------------

alpy, great GP I like the blue

19. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Well-Known Member

Thank you :)

1 person likes this.
  20. TC (Houston)

Boom! Found a new 15400 in San Antonio and drove over today to pick it up.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.