1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

Love this design. Make sure there is enough padding to protect the watch.

ALSO - if you want to use it as a tray, you might want to have the sides attached, so when it opens up, there are no open areas. :)

2. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

Love this design. Make sure there is enough padding to protect the watch.

ALSO - if you want to use it as a tray, you might want to have the sides attached, so when it opens up, there are no open areas. :)

3. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Must own a Reverso again. It's been too long.

4. kungapa

kungapa Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  5. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

yes.

6. akatsuki

akatsuki Well-Known Member

7. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

It certainly is a beautiful watch. I would gladly accept it as a gift.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  8. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

I love this watch, very impressive and exactly what I would like to wear.

Please forgive my ignorance though could you tell me more about it? I really would appreciate it.

9. Flake

Flake Well-Known Member

If you like the Breguet Type XXI, check out my favorite from that collection, the Type XX Aeronavale

[​IMG]

10. akatsuki

I only wish the Type XX was 40mm... It is the one thing that keeps making me think I should get a Sub over any of the "nicer" sport watches, they have overcompensated in the size department.

The Type XX in brown is just ridiculously nice looking, until you see it on a wrist and realize how large it is.

11. Flake

Flake Well-Known Member

The Type XX is 39mm. You thinking of the larger Type XXI perhaps?

12. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

The Gyro will age better, cost less, appreciate in value eventually, and you will be one of fewer people to have it ;)

I always liked the look of these,and ever since I tried one I've been in love. I'm with you, Flake, it has to be the XX Aeronavale for me. But I just love something about them in general.

13. akatsuki

Ah, I had no idea... that opens some doors, may have to go hit up the watch shop soon.

14. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Many thanks Flake et al appreciate it.

Now searching...

15. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Cleav; here were my thoughts on trying one for the first time.

16. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

17. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Mimo, you're very kind. Fascinating read, thank you.

As a young man I always found frustration in the fact that the apple of my eye was always tantalisingly out of reach, some things just don't change!

18. Flake

Flake Well-Known Member

In the past 18 months, I have tried it on the wrist at the Breguet boutiques in Vegas and NY, as well as the Tourbillon boutique in Gustavia. It does not wear any larger than my Sub. I like it and keep coming back to it. I already have a Breguet, so I keep thinking I will scratch my Patek itch next. But then again, I keep coming back to it...

19. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

His and Hers!!?? (not respectively)

20. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Newcomer's JLC Ultra Thin Moon really inspired me, what a lovely watch, and I also got interested in the Master Calendar, to add another dress watch to my collection.

With an asking price of around $10, 000 AUD, there are no available stock in the new Master Calendar in Australia, so I tried on the Ultra Thin Moon in pink gold, again, nothing in SS available. The proportions are perfect for my small wrist, the only thing is that I find the dates a bit small to read, which is important to me as I use the date display function all the time for work.

So I decided to wonder around in the 2nd hand watch store on the weekend, been an authorised dealer for some brands too, they had a SALE section in the middle of the store; and there she was, a silver moon phase dial watch with a black leather strap, and 50% OFF, from $4100 to $2050 AUD. Got the salesman to take out the watch, the brand is Maurice Lacroix, which I never heard of, the salesman was telling me that it's in the same league as Longines, a relatively new brand and a new managing director that is making some changes thus some heavy discounts on certain lines. Upon closer inspection, I like the simple elegant dial design, easy to read date display and silver moon and stars.

50% is a really heavy discount and I thought it could be too good to be true, I excused myself and walked out of the store, took out my phone and started to google about the brand and price of the watch, turns out to be a independent Swiss watch manufacturers and also does in house movements, and the pre-discount price is an accurate RRP. So after another 10 minutes of umming and ahing in the arcade with a very serious face, I decided walk back in to try out the watch again, except this time when I walked out, I was wearing the Maurice Lacroix Classique Phases de Lune and $2000 poorer.

Post Purchase

I quite like the single deployment clasp, compare to the double deployment butterfly clasps most leather bands use, since it's very simple to put on and take off. The strap is calf leather with alligator imprints, feels rather stiff and course. I will put some Reno on it to condition it.

I found on the month display, the letters are not displayed horizontally, instead it's at a small angle, which I took it back to the shop and got a 2nd replacement watch. The 2nd watch's Day and Months are displayed horizontally in the windows. However, on the 2nd watch, there are some shiny patches on the leather strap, like glue; so I got them to swap out the strap with the 1st watch. The salesman was saying can't expect much from a watch that is been discounted more than 50%.

Now I will wear this watch happily on a daily basis. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.