1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Never mind, Keith. there's always other love out there....

Anyway, chaps, we are now in the "refractory phase" for random, eclectic contributions and half-hearted bickering. Therefore I would like to offer this, apropos of nothing in particular:

Three very different watches, each under $3000, that I have decided I would like. Not that I have $9000 right now, nor $3000 for that matter, but I was just thinking about it. That's all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  2. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

I am going with the Tank. Your Omega and the Nomos would be a very similar pair and for some reason the Tudor is not speaking to me though their website has pictures of that watch on a nylon strap that may lead me in that direction.

3. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

mimo, of the three, i like the nomos best. lovely looking watch, and i like the balck/white/blue/gold going on on the dial. very pretty.

4. Flake

Flake Well-Known Member

That Tudor on a NATO = :)

5. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

Cartier Tank is a heckuva choice at $3K. In a world full of round watches, it just ..... distinguishes itself.

The WIS guys will know its history in the horological world, the design geeks give it props for simplicity and staying power-- hell, even the ladies love it.

It's pretty much a dress piece ONLY in my mind, although you could put it on a different strap to bring it down a notch. I've seen Tanks on ostrich (Dino's favorite LOL) that look pretty good to me...and with this newer, larger size it's probably more versatile than one might imagine. The presence of a day counter on this particular version would also make it more casual, strictly speaking.

Having said that, Cartier knows what they are doing by selling it on something black and glossy. It always shines that way.

In fact, another thing about the piece that I think adds a lot of value is that it just makes everything around it look better somehow.

You wear a Tank and all of the sudden your cufflinks seem more expensive, your tie seems more tasteful, your shoes seem shinier....I don't know, just something about it.

That's Nothing against the Nomos or the Tudor-- both great watches in their own right.

And I'm not sure that mimo even has a particular agenda in offering up these three watches, I just thought I'd use a bit of my "refractory phase" time to give Cartier some props.

2 people like this.
  6. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

Let the record reflect that Mimo has come a long way from his first impressions of the Tank.

7. in stitches

lol indeed.

--

keith, while i do agree with your sentiments, and i like the idea of tank more than the nomos or tudor, that particular tank i do not love as much as some others. at least not on my wrist. i prefer the models that are a little bit larger, and where the case is not so close in width to the strap.

8. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

As others have said, the Cartier Tank offers a lot of bang for the buck! The design has been around for nearly 100 years. Its a watch that is at home with a suit, yet looks great with jeans and a polo shirt. The Nomos is nice, but sometimes I feel its so stark that its almost lacking identity. I get the minimalist approach, but sometimes it reminds me of a dressier version of Mondaine watches. The Black Bay and Pelagos are nice watches...but if I want something with a snowflake, I'd probably go vintage.
    I think you really hit it out of the park with your first line. "In a world full of round watches, it just.... distinguishes itself."

One of my favorite things about the Tank is that most people wear round watches. So its refreshing to see something different. I really like going from my daily wearers that are mostly round cases to my Tank. Some watches need lots of functions and details to keep them interesting, but the Tank is simple and still interesting. A friend and fellow collector with about 30 watches including a rose gold Tank XL, a few watches from independents, and who has owned a Sub, and a watch or two from the big three said..."After having owned so many watches, if he could only keep one...it would be his rose Tank XL. To me that says a lot.

I know there are people that just don't like anything other than round watches. However, for those who want something traditional, yet different from the many of Datejusts (great watches), Breitlings, and other round watches we see on a daily basis...I say go for a Tank!

[​IMG] Lol.

I think the photo is a bit deceiving but the Automatic Tank Solo is one of the largest Tanks offered in recent years. I think the flat top surface to the case and lugs, along with the more pronounced "Cross Bars" at the top and bottom of it's case make it look smaller. Below is a photo of my Tank XL which has a more rounded surface for the case and lugs and the cross bars are barely visible.

[​IMG]

9. in stitches

^^ that looks infinitely better than the stock pic. ^^

i am on board. change my voat plz.

10. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Hahaha...I'm flattered that you remember. I think as Dino and Stitch have both managed to demonstrate, albeit from different directions, the Tank XL does look smaller than it is. But you're quite right to say I've come a long way, via the simple device of putting one on. Watch 1.1: it's always different on your wrist.

Keith is right that there's no particular question here: I was just noodling about online and put a figure in mind, and asked myself what could I get for it that I've always liked. These were my three picks, in no particular order, just off the top of my head without any great soul-searching. They also, I think, make a pretty neat triumvirate for a mini collection (cf. three watch pics a couple of pages back). So maybe that was somewhere in my subconscious too when posting this, although this three I was talking about to my beloved a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, in their own right, of course they are a nice mix of daily dress, showing off, and casual/sport. I like the Nomos for what it is - understated, classy and I do have a thing about the German watches for some reason. I'd happily wear this every day with a suit, knowing that nobody would know what it was, or care, but that it looks so clean and sharp, and is prettier the more I look at it: the whole blue hands thing moves me, as does a small seconds dial. A while back I talked about a Portuguese that disappointed me because the gold numbers popped more than the blue hands in person. These little gold sticks won't have that problem, and as Stitches said. there's something about the balance of those black/white/blue/gold elements. Perfectly simple with all the bits I want to see in a pure dress watch, I think.

I like the Cartier for what it says - timeless class, history, powerful but not trendy brand...I can't believe how much I fell for this watch, even with its "day-counter". I'd seen a pic and ridiculed it as looking a bit girly, but as soon as I had it in my hand, then on my wrist, I didn't care even if it was. It sits nicely, the peculiar grain of the croc strap is weirdly ugly-beautiful, the width and un-tapered shape makes the whole watch look heavier and more manly (the reason I wear a straight strap on my little Omega too), and overall it just looked great. It actually made me smile. And it's also got blue hands. Boom.

And finally, I like the Black Bay for what it does: a more distinctive and muscular Sub-a-like that looks different enough not to be a tribute. Of course, you educated fellows will point out the history of snowflake hands and the markers and and and...and naturally you're right: a cynical voice could say it is not just an homage, it's a whole jumbled collection of homages to Tudors and Rolexes of yesteryear. But I don't care. I put it on, I loved how it felt and somehow I even like that it's not quite "pukka" to the aficionados. Me neither! I like the matte red bezel - something I'd never choose, yet just works; I like the almost eerie glow of the metal, and most of all I just like the proportions of the thing. You all know I wear a 35mm watch quite happily and have no interest in the dinner plate big watch fad for its own sake. This just feels great, though. Like a lower-priced pickup truck that's got no satellite navigation or leather seats, but has the bigger engine and extended cab and the skid plates and locking diff as standard. It feels purposeful, even if its purpose was silly. It's not fashionable, but I still like its style.

11. Omega Male

Omega Male Well-Known Member

Bollocks. Suddenly I'm 15 pages behind again and have spent all my money on wine and shoes. I hate that.

1 person likes this.
  12. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Sounds like quite a night[​IMG]

It has rather dawned on me that on the third day of the month, I am currently waiting for several ties and pocket squares, enough cloth for several suits, one jacket already under construction and another OTR en route, just one more pair of shoes and...er...two watches. This is going to be a long four weeks...good job I gave up drinking anyway....I think....

13. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

....the rest of it, I just blew!! (paraphrasing George Best, I believe.)

LOL'd while checking out the Cartier website for the specs on that Tank... they refer not to a date function, or a day-counter....it is rather called, in their parlance, a "calendar aperture".

C'est magnifique, non?

2 people like this.
  14. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Well-Known Member

Is that term dopey approved?

15. in stitches

what would dopey say?!

16. AriGold

AriGold Well-Known Member

I'm interesting in buying a pre-owned sub, don't mind either no-date or date versions. This one caught my attention, but wondering if $5700 (less 10% tax) is a good deal for a circa 2002 model.

http://clockmaker.com.au/w/k3853.html

[​IMG]

17. in stitches

great watch, but way too much $ imo. i have a great '98 model, with date, listed on eBay for 4995. like new, just serviced by rolex. and you could probably find cheaper too.

18. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor.

Go to the following website and check out their classified section and compare prices.

https://www.rolexforums.com/index.php

19. stafa

stafa Well-Known Member

or checkout watchrecon.com

it aggregates all the listings from the major watch forums that allow people to sell watches

2 people like this.
  20. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Ari, if you buy from an Australian site, you will always pay more - often considerably more - than buying from overseas.

The upside to buying in Australia is, of course, that if the seller is local, you can try it on and have a look at it to make sure you're getting what you want. The downside is that you'll pay a lot of "Australia tax".

Of course, if you order a watch costing more than $1000 from overseas, you'll most likely have to pay tax on it, particularly if it is sent via a courier service as the courier service will collect the tax/duties on behalf of Customs and they'll kindly charge you a fee for doing so, too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.