1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

(RN, I do, but I don't wear gold myself)

Hahaha...you know you've arrived when you get your own meme! Thanks Keith! Well, as you're on TX time, I'm guessing you've a while before bed and there's only this quick one to go:

I mentioned in the previous post that only IWC and Panerai had natural light. The Panerai boutique in particular was a delightful and airy place to be. The Chinese sales assistants were very knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. I didn't really have much to do there, as the new Panerai boutique in my city of residence has a dozen or so models at a time (not bad for this town, believe me), and I've already been in and tried a few things I liked. If I had the dough, I'd probably get a base Luminor. If I had a lot, I'd get a 423 - when I say a lot, it's because in that price bracket of about $10k, there are a lot of other choices, and frankly a Panerai is not going to be my one-off watch treat. More like a gap to be filled in a rotation if I ever get to that stage.

Anyway, I asked about a couple of more special items - anything in platinum, or the elusive bronze 507. All are sought-after, and I was disappointed. So I just enjoyed a chat, tried on a basic model, and the 423 they also happened to have in stock. I still really like it.

The 423: I like the asymmetric thing, while the power reserve also balances the small seconds. And both are features I like in general, especially on a manual wind. 44mm = proper Panerai.

[​IMG]

Less is more? Nothing wrong with this simpler Luminor. And I like the hands. Sandwich dial is an essential ingredient too, I think.

[​IMG]

One more: another attempt to be artistic with a show of the Burj Khalifa/Downtown area outside the window, and the cheerfully choking Dubai sunshine. Panerai Boutique at Dubai Mall is a happy place.

[​IMG]

And finally, why did I save the Panerai until last? Nothing much about the watches really, although the pictures are nicer, which brings me to the real point: I don't normally put pictures of myself on the internet, and certainly not in public. I will probably delete this one again soon. But as we're all friends, I thought I'd show a human face for a minute, and introduce myself. As it happens, the pics at Panerai came out best. So, er...hello.

[​IMG]

My name's Alex. I'm happy to know you all, and thanks for sharing your knowledge and friendship.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
    2 people like this.
  2. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

:lol:

mimo, you should get a job as watch correspondent for your local paper.

3. in stitches

also, i LOVE this:

[​IMG]

also, alex, great goatee. i am happy to know you as well, and enjoy your friendship and participation here in this thread.

4. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

5. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

6. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

thanks for the entire collection of write ups, should post it up in the article section as well. :nodding:

7. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with Tudor, mimo.

1 person likes this.
  8. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Hi MPA,

The only thing you really can't do with most Cartiers is wear them to go scuba diving. They are only water resistant to 30m, which means its ok if it gets wet, but you really don't want to submerge it in water. For that, you want something with at least 50m of water resistance, some people go further and won't wear it in water unless its water resistant to 100m.

However, if your routine is say going to the office, the gym, and some weekend activities, it is more than up to the task. You can really bang the hell out of Cartiers and they just keep going. One of my friends wears a Cartier Santos Galbee XL (similar movement to a Tank Solo XL) every day and for sporting activities and its fine, no issues. In addition, about 10 years ago my wife wanted the men's large size automatic Tank Francaise and it has been her beater for 10 years. Trust me she has been mean to that watch and no issues at all. She plays racket ball with it on its gotten its share of scuffs and scratches, but its been very reliable for her. Also, keep in mind, the Tank has been in production in some form or other for nearly 100 years. Its one of the most iconic watches in the world, and its incredibly versatile. If it were a dainty watch incapable of daily wear, its unlikely it would still be in production and have the reputation that it possesses.

The Rolex Explorer is a nice watch. I had one for nearly 10 years. Its a very understated and versatile sports watch. Its advantage over the Tank Solo, is its water resistant to 100m. Its a bit sportier than a Tank Solo XL, but its still versatile enough that it can be worn with a suit. With a $3,000 budget you could probably get a pre-owned 36mm (classic size Explorer). The new models are 39mm. At $3,000 you could probably get a 114270 or a 14270. My preference would be the later 114270, which has a slightly revised movement and solid end links on the bracelet part that attaches to the watch head (rather than the old hollow clam shell ends of the bracelet). The caveat is to wear this pre-owned watch in the water is to either get it pressure tested to make sure water won't get into the watch (always possible a seal dried and cracked), or make sure you have a recent receipt from an overhaul from Rolex at which point the gaskets would have been replaced. Sure some indies could do a good service, but unless you know their rep, there are some indies that are hacks and I wouldn't trust their work.

The Omega Speedmaster Pro is another good choice. Definitely on the sport side, but not really water resistant. In addition, its a manual wind. Some people don't mind and enjoy the ritual of winding a watch to get it going. Others forget to wind it, and find it annoyance to have to wind it each day.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  9. Flake

Flake Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

A little Saturday morning lume

2 people like this.
  10. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I have been looking at those Panerai pics quite a lot....although my Saturday mornings must be lighter that yours!

Thanks for all your kind comments, gentlemen, it's really an honour from men of your knowledge and standing: Wurger - what's the "article section", and how does it work?

Wraith - I have to agree. As my post indicates, my first hands-on encounter with them made me feel very differently: I'd really thought of them as a lame Rolex substitute, and not until putting one on did I really feel the distinct identity they bring. I stand very much enlightened and corrected. That Black Bay is a very charismatic piece of wrist candy, and the price only makes it better.

Incidentally, having looked briefly at the links in your sig a while back, I meant to introduce you to a good friend of mine who threw himself into a similar living a couple of years ago. He's a great guy, and what he's producing seems to be received very well so far: http://www.neilgibsoncomics.com/

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  11. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Can't help but notice: like most of the forum, it's quieter at the weekend. But there is definitely a correlation between TWATters and those most likely to be online during their working hours! It's a morgue in here on a US weekend...maybe because it's a holiday too (is it?)

12. Flake

Flake Well-Known Member

It is, Mimo.
    At home smoking a turkey and enjoying a cigar while re-reading your posts. Nice day!

1 person likes this.
  13. MPAVictoria

MPAVictoria Active Member

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. I have some research to do I guess. :)

1 person likes this.
  14. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Mino, on the bottom of the page, in small fonts, there is a row for the different sections: home, reviews, forums, article and my profile.

You click into articles and add a new article.

1 person likes this.
  15. TheWraith

Great :)

16. apropos

apropos Well-Known Member

To be honest, growing up Tudor was always sold as a poor man's Rolex, with the Tudor lineup mostly comprised of lame rehashes of Rolex stalwarts. It's really only in the last 2-3 years that they have attempted to reboot the brand.

Americans go nuts over them (and the press driving their demand is mostly from America) because they have no or next to no experience with them - IIRC Tudor was not even distributed in America for a long long time.

That said, there is no better way to reboot a brand than releasing some really good looking models, even if the faux heritage card is perhaps a little overplayed in this instance.

1 person likes this.
  17. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

Hopefully IWC and Rolex will one day get that kind of reboot :devil:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  18. in stitches

mimo, thanks for the compendium. i may bookmark that. :)

1 person likes this.
  19. TheWraith

Even before that time, there were some fine Tudors.

20. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Well-Known Member

+1

mimo, I really enjoyed your tyre-kicking diary.

While perhaps closer to 'poor man's watch thread' than what's usually discussed on TWAT, worn&wound is looking for writers... You should contact them if you'd be interested in tyre-kicking, maybe even test driving some lower priced watches.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.