• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I'd like to get Sator's take on which one of these two watches would look best with black tie.
devil.gif

Well, the Urwerk is black.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Well, the Urwerk is black.

True, but the other one is a Rolex and as we all know a Rolex is always acceptable with black tie.
devil.gif

contaygious

Reaction score
damn lol go figure my fav zenith on the site is hated on this forum lol. Well can people post some recommended watches without leather bands for me to see then? Excuse me if I sound crazy, but when I spend that much on a watch I would like it to stand out a bit.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by contaygious
damn lol go figure my fav zenith on the site is hated on this forum lol. Well can people post some recommended watches without leather bands for me to see then? Excuse me if I sound crazy, but when I spend that much on a watch I would like it to stand out a bit.
If you really want to stand out, these ones, at different price points, might fit the bill
ew0036vn1.jpg
master-compressor-diving-chrono.jpg

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
^^I think that is an intensely ugly watch.

Agreed. They don't look any better in person either.

But their watches with the black leather straps and the gray dials with cut-away faces are to die for.
inlove.gif

Originally Posted by LabelKing
I'm rather considering a vintage Rado Diastar. I'd wear it on a plain calf-strap instead of the metal bracelets they come on. I'm thinking Navy Blue though a grey ostrich might also look nice. No reptiles though.

super6.jpg

I had an old-school gold DiaStar back in the day. They're way too dated for 2008 though. I like the sound of blue or grey ostrich straps, but on the gold one it would just look goofy.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a thread soliciting advice on Omega's and finally made a buy today after work. I went into the local AD and in a few minutes got the price knocked-down 27% thanks to some great advice from fellow forum members here. Thanks guys!

I can't take pictures worth crap, but I saw a pic here of the exact same model which was pretty damn good.

Omega Seamaster Professional Chronometer w/ stainless steel bracelet and electric blue dial.
smile.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...P/brightsm.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I had an old-school gold DiaStar back in the day. They're way too dated for 2008 though. I like the sound of blue or grey ostrich straps, but on the gold one it would just look goofy.

I'm considering the silver one as I don't like gold-toned items that aren't solid gold. I'm surprised that apparently Rado is still making this watch as indeed, it's a very dated design.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a great buy, FC.

Originally Posted by LabelKing
I'm surprised that apparently Rado is still making this watch as indeed, it's a very dated design.

That's sort of the point, no? Without the quirky designs and innovative use of materials, Rado would be just another short-lived mid range Swiss watchmakers (Mido, Titoni et al), I think.
You probably know it already, but this forum is a great place for Rado-philes.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my dream watch at the moment. 360,000 BPH.

tag206_1.jpg

tag_calibre.jpg

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took delivery of my IWC SS Ingeniuer Auto (3227-01).

What a watch, I went from my Panda to the Inge.. Can't help but feel like IronMan with the heft & the steel of the Inge.

Will be hard to take of as I originally got the Inge as a w/end beater & my Panda for work etc.

Quick & dirty with my phone in the car today!

DSC00015.jpg

Mustapha

Reaction score
el guapo wongo, What's up with the yellow faced Mickey Rooney avatar. Your hero?

-Moose

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
Here's my dream watch at the moment. 360,000 BPH.

Admittedly I'm a novice to watches but that doesn't sound right 360,000 bph (thats only 6,000 bpm). Am I right or wrong?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
Admittedly I'm a novice to watches but that doesn't sound right 360,000 bph (thats only 6,000 bpm). Am I right or wrong?

Yes the division is correct. And if you've seen a the balance of a watch oscillate, you would notice that it doesn't oscillates 100 times per second but rather 5 to 8 times. For example, an ETA 2824 movement beats at 28,800 bph

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Yes the division is correct. And if you've seen a the balance of a watch oscillate, you would notice that it doesn't oscillates 100 times per second but rather 5 to 8 times. For example, an ETA 2824 movement beats at 28,800 bph

Thanks, I think my confusion came from bph v bpm. The 360,000bph is very impressive, what is the advantage of such a movement, it is a better time keeper or is it more of a marketing thing?

Would love to see a video of the movement if anyone has one.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
Thanks, I think my confusion came from bph v bpm. The 360,000bph is very impressive, what is the advantage of such a movement, it is a better time keeper or is it more of a marketing thing?
I think it's a bit of both. High bph doesn't ensure better time keeping but it allows for smaller increment of chronograph measurements. You can time a lap at the 1/100th of second while most sports chronographs give you 1/10th sec at best. That said, I doubt any serious sports event is timed with a mechanical stop watch any ways. Still an impressive technical achievement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads