1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Well-Known Member

Anybody else really love the new RL67 chronometer? At $3k I almost pulled the trigger yesterday. It's 44.5mm but wears easy. Big numbers are easy to read, but no lumes, which surprised me a little. Richemont movement, and the aged steel just looks awesome on a military watch.

2. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

Look it's a Honda Accord.

More like Honda According TO ARNOLD SHOULD GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!

3. Devoti

Devoti Well-Known Member

IMHO I would keep looking. I don't think you'll get much appreciated value out this watch compared to other less known but better watchmakers. In the past RL were using known movements made by Richemont Group with this model they are purchasing no name movements. For $3+k you can buy a second hand IWC pilot watch and get a beautiful [FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif]timeless watch that won't lose it's value or looks. There's a lot of watches similar to this one at that price that should be a better investment and one with more history and caliber.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif]I can see why you like, a bit too big for me as my regular watch and don't worry about no lumens, some of the most collectable and desired watches have no lumens (or worn out). RL is just trying to give the look of other watches collectable watches[/FONT] (mil., pilot) from the past with a little modern twist to it.

Good luck

4. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

Now that Devoti has played good cop, I shall play bad cop.

Designer label watches are ridiculous. A Seiko 5 bought on clearance for $75 would have more integrity.

I won't even comment on the appearance of the piece apart from noting that no wristwatch actually worn in a military environment would resemble that in any way.

I don't see how they can call it a chronometer either. The biggest crime, of course, it's the price.

If you want a weekend watch with a bronze finish, you could try Helson:

http://www.helsonwatch.com/gauge.php

It has a similar whimsical look, better technical features, probably better workmanship, 2/3 of the price.

5. Devoti

Devoti Well-Known Member

Thanks Hayward, I was only aware of there skindiver model.

That's a pretty cool watch, I really like the bezel of the Guage although I think if I ever got in a fist fight, I would probably be quickly charged with using a deadly weapon with that thing strapped to my wrist.

There so many cool watches out there, one just has to put a little time into searching and asking. We have to remember we're on a clothing/style site and not one of the hardcore aficionado watch sites so I think it's totally understandable to ask such questions and help each other if we can. I'm rarely ever called the good cop.

PS>I wish there was a Shoe Appreciation thread like we have here for watches. The shoe threads on styleforum are all over the place but nothing central or has any traction (no punt intended).

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  6. Devoti

Devoti Well-Known Member

What do you guys think of this watch (Omega Chronostop)? I think I prefer the Dynamic

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  7. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

^^ It's interesting, but I'm not sure it's fundamentally attractive. It's more appealing for it's novelty that its looks, to me anyway.

Re. RL67: $3k my fat white arse.

- used IWC as suggested
    - genuine WWII pilot watch from any number of makers
    - Sinn
    - Nomos
    - two Stowas!

8. Devoti

Devoti Well-Known Member

Thanks mimo, I agree

9. Devoti

Devoti Well-Known Member

Maybe this could be another alternative, there sizing is similar, a well known brand and cheaper, don't ask about there box case.

Bell&Ross 123 PVD coated black case
    [​IMG]

Carbon version:
    [​IMG]

Or the Phantom version:
    [​IMG]

10. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Agreed with all of that. Have you seen the new Omega DSOM - ceramic version of our Speedy 9300?

My cautionary approach to ceramic is caused in large part by my experience as a custom knife collector and maker. Ceramic blades have seen increased popularity of late. They don't scratch, don't rust and stay sharp just this side of forever. All sunshine and rainbows until, you drop one and have it shatter. Or get it stuck in bone or cartilage while dressing out a deer, try to wiggle it free and have it snap like a toothpick. Properly heat-treated steel is virtually indestructible by comparison.

1 person likes this.
  11. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

double tap

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  12. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Devoti,

Bro, you post too many pics of too many watches for too little reason in too short a time with too little comment. And posting Bell & Ross is a sin by itself, because that product is definitively and empirically the preserve of wankers.

But apart from that, I like you. Keep 'em coming. Just...slow down. :)

P.S. On a more positive note, after reading the last twenty pages or more of this thread, making a suggestion like "hey, why not buy a ceramic Bell & Ross?", certainly takes some nuts. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Hi Frills, with the exception of their diamond versions of cufflinks, when one considers the price of gold and then compares it with the price of gold cufflinks from Cartier, Chopard, Piaget and a few other well known companies, they really in the same ball park. Places like Cellini have trays of some private label cufflinks, but with the price of gold being what it is, some of theirs are not that much less than cufflinks from better known companies.

I have seen the watch movement cufflinks in person. You can even find them with real vintage movements from Hamilton and Gruen. However, there is a big difference in the construction (not just matterial, say gold versus non-gold). Go in an look at a set of Patek Calatrava gold links, and look at its post and the flexible swiveling section. The ones pictured above are very flimsy. I picked up a set of sterling silver ones in college with the same back and posts, the the swivel mechanism wears out quickly and just spins. Also, on ones from say Cartier or Chopard, they have much more finished backs, sometimes even a smaller but matching back to the cufflinks. They cost more, but are built to last. I can understand if its not your thing, and sure 4-5K is nothing to sneeze at but if you really compared a bunch of cufflinks from Cartier, Chopard, Patek, etc... with novelty cufflinks you will notice some big differences in construction.

Below are a few pix of some Cartier links I have. These are quite useful as they are white, yellow and rose gold and I can change the colors of the bars (which are semi precious stones).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Interchangeable bars for these links.

[​IMG]

Another set with matching backs
    [​IMG]

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Many watch companies make cufflinks to go with their watches. Not sure I see it as any different than Patek, VC, etc making deployant buckles with their insignias, rather than plain tang buckles to enhance the appearance of the watch or to give a more complete look. Matching cufflinks is hardly any more of a diversion of effort or focus.
    +1

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

You know, normally I would agree about a suggestion regarding B&R being a little nuts. But I saw this one of the 'dink the other day and honestly, it is a pretty good amount of watch for the price.

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/hands-on-with-the-bell-ross-br-123-sport-heritage-live-pics-pricing

[​IMG]

Don't get me wrong, it is a bit of a hodgepodge of design. But it is a fair price, it is a great size (41mm), it is slim, and it certainly appeals to a certain aesthetic.

15. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Well-Known Member

she has eyes?

16. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

As you know from experience, steel is far, far tougher than ceramic in the technical meaning of the word. Engineering ceramics are extremely hard so they're essentially immune to scratches and scuffs, but they don't handle impact loads nearly as well as steel does. It's all or nothing; if something other than a diamond hits it, it's either unscathed or it shatters.

Though softer, steel can dissipate much more total energy than a hard/brittle material before it breaks. That second Doppelchrono with the lug broken off was said to have been "whacked against the bar in a pub...not that hard". At a different impact angle, it may well have been fine, but if a certain stress level is exceeded, it's toast. You can mitigate this brittleness to a certain extent by making the contours smooth/radiused to distribute stress risers, as simply copying an existing sharp-cornered case design in ceramic is far from optimal. But even with fairly smooth transitions, ceramic will still break much more easily than metal:

[​IMG]
    (said to have been dropped from 3 feet, resulting in an $8700 repair estimate)

For me, the triple date window, the 7750-movement-containing 44mm case, and the other watches that can be had for its price are reason enough to avoid the 3786, let alone its smashability. But that's just my opinion; I could be wrong. (And at least it doesn't say "TOP GUN" on the back and left side like the 46mm model.)

17. rnguy001

rnguy001 Well-Known Member

Not bad at all. B&R gets a bad rap for a lot of reasons but this is a nice watch and as you said for a reasonable price. From an aesthetic standpoint, I think it's quite cool.

RogerP - sometimes I feel you don't know me at all :D
    Seriously it was my favorite piece of Basel. Already called my AD to inquire. My wife thinks I'm crazy since I have the 9300 already. I'll have to see it firsthand I think.

Well if I'm honest, after reading these posts I have actually started to worry about the merits vs. risks of ceramic a bit more. Damn this forum. Next thing you know I might actually prefer sub-40 mm hand wounds! ;)

18. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Quote:I am hoping the OE DSOM strap isn't outrageously priced - I would love to add that to spiff up my Speedy.

19. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I confess I was just being a bit of dick because I was bored. But I do think it's a hideous minger of a design with randomness and glitter inserted as incompetent substitutes for style and coherence. :)

20. rnguy001

rnguy001 Well-Known Member

Me too, though I think the buckle might be .. wait for it... CERAMIC..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.