1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

Quote: Pretty much agree with all the above. I would love to see more center minute chronos made, but to combine it with everything else on the dial defeats the purpose. It would be interesting however to see how Patek does titanium. Ti is problematic because it scratches easily and has to oxidize to a stable color, which can vary based upon finish. As far as I know only Seiko has gotten titanium right with their Diashield coating.

2. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Just goes to show that this thread is frequented by a better class of gentleman/dreamer/obsessive/lunatic (delete as appropriate).

3. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    As an AP owner, to me the original RO's are the only ones that are really handsome and worth having. While not everyone's taste, they are classic, iconic and started an entire genre of sports watches.

As fore ROO's and their owners, well I've never understood them. Big, clunky, bloated versions of an original Genta classic, just don't do anything for me. I think of most giant sized ROO's (and other similarly sized pieces) are for people that need attention from other people. They want people to notice they are wearing something the size of a tuna can on their wrists. How can people not notice something that is ridiculously large, won't fit under a shirt cuff, and frequently has very bright contrasting colors. Also, I don't understand all the insanity over their "Limited Edition Offshores." Generally, all they do is is change the color stitching on the strap and the color of the hands and hour markers and people go crazy trying to get one. Just wait 6 months and another color variation will be out. However, if AP (and dealers) can get a bunch of people (suckers) to pay MSRP (or more) for watches that hardly seem limited (or special) and merely receive different contrasting color trim...more power to them. As for Hublot...all of the above applies, except I find them to be worse than AP, as Hublot doesn't even have an original idea. They just seem to make less attractive copies of Offshores. If you are going to choose a watch I dislike, at least get the original.

So if those are the guys that want and love what might be one of the least attractive and least tasteful Pateks in some years, let them have it. As Groucho Marx once said, "I don't want to belong to any club that would accept me as member."

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  4. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

The other problem with Titanium is the difficulty in working with it. From what I understand it does not machine well and requires special equipment.

5. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

Agreed 100%. Another thing I don't get about the APROO line is how the same model will cost much more in disaster-waiting-to-happen ceramic and about double in forged carbon glorified plastic. Evidently, there's a market for $30K G-Shocks-without-the-shock-resistance (carbon diver), but I struggle to understand how that's possible. Carbon fiber is great for its intended applications, but watches ain't among them.

The best part is that carbon production is so inherently cheap once the mold is paid for that I think we'll be seeing it as a low-cost replacement for steel and aluminum before too long. I would not be surprised if even crappy department-store mountain bikes started using it for cost reasons within ten years. In the bike world, handbuilt steel and titanium are back big-time in desirability as mass-produced carbon keeps coming down in price. It's not exactly exotic stuff any more.

6. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I saw a rose gold ROO a few weeks ago in the local AD. With the unusual combination of a tourbillon and a rubber strap. They were selling it for over $200k, And someone will buy it. My business partner tried it on; me too because, you know, I could. It was the most charmless expression of $200k I could imagine.

The funny thing is, if you imagined a rose gold tourbillon watch with a sporty twist from a big three maker, all sorts of wonders are possible. The kind of things that even Frilly could lose sleep over. And what they came up with was...that.

7. Joseph Matthews

Joseph Matthews Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Georg Jensen bequeathed to me by my grandfather. I do not know the exact model.

8. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

Now, now, Dino, we all acknowledge that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For example, mimo here will probably not be able to deny that this limited edition (1,000 pieces) piece is the one that truly bewitches him. The 48mm case, the lovely asymmetry of those... pushers, the understated nature of it all...? Love at first sight, right mimo?

[​IMG]

(Image from PuristSPro <- as if you couldn't tell by the note on the bottom right hand side)

I know a dealer who can get it for you for under $19,000! Say what, mimo? You'll take four? One for each wrist and a pair for your ankles too?!

9. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

48mm is a stupid case size. 47mm is what the real men are wearing, and half the price too!

[​IMG]

10. no frills

First time for me seeing this magnificent example of what we're discussing, mimo. So, I had to do a bit of research. Like, what the hell is that covering the crown and what does it actually do. Fun review here:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/21/review-graham-chronofighter-oversize-gmt-watch/

"The Chronofighter is a huge watch for folks who like huge watches and, for the money, I haven’t seen anything beat it in terms of visibility, utility, and sheer cheek."

Nice. I look forward to those wrist shots, my friend...

1 person likes this.
  11. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

Is that a bottle opener for beers and a button to keep count of how many you had? If so, bravo...that would have helped in college.

1 person likes this.
  12. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

Eye wash, please.

Somebody jump in here...

13. scottcw

scottcw Well-Known Member

Very nice.

14. no frills

Oh alright. Here you go, Charlize Theron wearing a Christian Dior, I think, with diamonds.

[​IMG]

If you can find a nice wrist shot featuring Kate Upton, I would be most appreciative.

15. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

No no no. To make it more beautiful, you have to go to a 50mm case. I mean, bigger is better, right?

[​IMG]

or maybe....

[​IMG]

Eyewash indeed, but back to the Patek G-Shock: if you're going to make insane one-offs, this is the way to do it. And to be blunt, this sort of thing does make a "carbon fibre effect embossed strap" look a bit...well....shit, doesn't it?

1 person likes this.
  16. NonServiam

NonServiam Well-Known Member

Vintage Heuer Autavia this evening. Rosé in the glass, warm breeze.

[​IMG]

A nice view of the automatic (spot the rotor?) movement, thanks to a custom display back.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

....aaaand we're back on track.

I knew I could count on you guys. A little Charlize never hurt anybody.

Nice one, NonServiam. Couple of dings on the bezel ===> character.

18. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

Allow me to contribute to the eyewash. Here's what a center minute chronograph should look like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. gambit50

gambit50 Well-Known Member

You show Charlize but desire Upton? This does not jibe with the ridicule and hate(justified) of all those monstrosity, tasteless, XXXL watches shown previously. It is the bizarro version of that preference, actually. How is taste lost across these different avenues? They are close enough that I would think one's applies the same all the way. Stick to the watches, you are aces there. More generally, I do question whether people take into account the wearer's own size(wrist, body) to determine where the line to grossly large watch for its own sake has been crossed. Akin to those in the styling of suits. Some people should not wear certain styles even if, ideally, that style looks best in a vacuum or on a model. And depending on your own proportions, etc. you just cannot(alright, should not) employ specific features for they accentuate your faults rather than dulling. blurring or distracting from them to create the best possible image one might attain from a more proper suit.

20. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

NonServiam - love it.

:nodding: DO EEET!!

+1

correct. in the JLC catalogue i was looking at the other night they even point out that some of the titanium models cannot be restored to the original factory finish. to me, it only belongs on rugged watches where the scratches add character, not on any watch you would want to polish.

--
    dino - great looking green sub!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.