1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apropos

apropos Well-Known Member

I'm getting a vibe that you're relatively new to watches, and would like to say that picking a colour scheme via consensus is not a good idea. This is not the same as asking for opinions re: various watches.

If you lack confidence in your own taste then hold off the purchase for a while longer - they will still make them 6 months from now.

Or do what I do - save several images of "candidate" watches into a single folder and use them as your desktop background... set it so that the images change every 10 minutes or so, i.e. slideshow mode... within a week you will know which ones you prefer, and which ones you have grown tired of.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. scottcw

scottcw Well-Known Member

I like all three for different reasons. Just curious what others see.

That's a great idea.

3. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Well-Known Member

It was for this very reason I sold my L1 to help fund my L1 moonphase. :D

Given that both the moon and stars are applied gold, there's a wonderful dimensionality and depth to the dial which overall adds a touch of whimsy or romanticism to contrast the otherwise stark design. This isn't the best shot, but it does illustrate the difference between the depth of applied gold vs. the flatness of the typical moonphase complication.

[​IMG]

As it so happens, I got this secondhand with boxes and books, but the seller no longer had the original certificate so was able to get a terrific deal. Lange confirmed matching case and movement numbers, and my Proof of Origin certificate (which is as large as my diploma) arrived from Glashutte shortly after I received the watch. Alkis serviced the movement and polished up the case, and it was indistinguishable from new. One of my ATF...

3 people like this.
  4. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

absolutely stunning. love this expat!

5. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Well what can I say, great minds....[​IMG]
    BOOOO !!! Off with his head! Just kidding..thats ok, its just means more Lange 1 Moonphases for the rest of us!
    Grids or not...that watch is SMOKIN HOT !!!!
    DL keeps bringing up his love of diaphragms in The Watch Appreciation Thread.
    Sorry buddy, I couldn't resist.
    I have an aversion to pink/salmon dials. I know many great companies have offered watches with that color dial, but I find it unattractive and kind of girly.

The bottom photo, I can't tell if the lighting is a bit off or if its my montior, so I am uncertain if the dial is blue or black. It looks a bit flat too me in terms of real depth of color. So my vote is for the black and white, since I am positive of the dial colors and I think the dial layout is a bit more interesting.

6. scottcw

scottcw Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback. The first one is actually copper color, although it does look pink/salmon on the computer. The bottom one has a black dial.

7. Dino944

Absolutely stunning! It is hands down my favorite Lange design. I love how your photo captures the depth created by using applied gold for the moon and stars! [​IMG]
    To me the moonphase complication took a beautiful, and as Newcomer describes it a cold design or maybe very teutonic design (which I think can be a positive description) and added a new layer (no pun intended) to the Lange 1. The color and moonphase complication added a slightly warmer character to the watch, while still retaining a level of coolness and beauty that has made the Lange 1 so famous.

8. Dino944

My pleasure. I also meant to say, that I'm not a fan of the use of the number 3 with the date to the right of it. I would have preferred no date, or no number 3. Again, I'd pass on the copper color...I just don't care for it. Then again orange is one of my least favorite colors...so there is some serious bias. So even with the dial color clarifications I'm sticking with my original vote. Good luck with whatever you decide.

9. gusvs

gusvs Well-Known Member

+1, great watch Eddie, congratulations!

10. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

medtech_expat - 100% agree. no comparison between applied and non applied.

11. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

This is excellent advice.

12. rnguy001

rnguy001 Well-Known Member

Personally I like the middle one.

13. Stefan88

Stefan88 Well-Known Member

baume & mercier capeland chronograph with white dial, used for 1200$. Should I kop? Uploading picture later! MV045216

14. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

I am not sure how one would characterize this detailing (see close up pic below). Applied or non applied?

[​IMG]

15. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Well-Known Member

From Patek's annual and perpetual lineup I've tried on, the moonphases appeared non-applied.

16. Dino944

Very handsome, but appears to be non applied.
    Agreed

17. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

It certainly looked flat versus the raised goodness you can readily observe from the Lange 1 moonphase, but I was thrown off by what seems to be these raised/etched borders around the stars.

[​IMG]

Here is the "official" description from Patek:

"A disc, decorated with golden stars and two golden moons against a blue background representing the sky, rotates within an aperture. The disc is cut from a wafer of corundum crystal (sapphire).

Gold was condensed onto the disc by means of a vacuum process through a photographic mask to create the shape of the moons and stars."

I do like how the dimensions of Lange's moon and stars look like they are jumping from the disc. It's lovely.

However, why not extend the whole "moon likeness" and all with THIS:

[​IMG]

No stars though. Figure that might be tough to really get a likeness of that one, although I'd sure like to see some watchmakers try:

[​IMG]

18. Stefan88

Stefan88 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Baumer & Mercier,
    Considering buying this used for around 1200$. Think it looks great, currently waiting for confirmation on the condition.
    It seems to have this model number: MV045216

Does anyone have any good information on the movement, or any tips? Says it´s automatic.
    Would be my first "better" watch, and kind of between this and some Oris watch. Want to buy the Omega Speedmaster Professional in the future, but currently it´s a bit too expensive. I have read many different opinions of the Baumer & Mercier watches, but personally I think this would look amazing with a brown leather (possibly matt crocodile) strap. Open to other suggestions!

19. rnguy001

rnguy001 Well-Known Member

That's a nice watch. Capeland chrongraph.

Here's a link to it with more info and how it looks with a strap

http://www.chrono24.com/en/baumemer...eferenceNumber=mv045216$21&manufacturerIds=21

That seems to be a good price with a bracelet. Personally for my first watch I might opt for a new watch from Oris or Hamilton. But if you really like this style and it fits your budget then go for it. I wasn't sure how it would look on a strap with those lugs but it actually looks pretty nice based on that link

20. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

It looks nice, but if I were you, I would hold out for the Speedy Pro. This B&M is likely equipped with a Valjoux 7750, judging by the 6, 9, 12 subdial configuration and date. It could also be the ETA equivalent. Sturdy, robust movements. Aesthetically it is not my favorite thing out there, but that is a choice only you can make!

With discount, a Speedy Pro will run you ~$3,300. If you go used, you can easily get it under $3,000. Personally, I think it is better to hold out for what you really want. Otherwise you just will not be completely satisfied. My recommendation is exacerbated by the fact that this watch and the Speedy will play similar 'roles.' When you acquire a Speedy, what role do you foresee this watch playing?

Last edited: May 4, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.