1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flake

Flake Well-Known Member

I had the original version of that watch, the 228, done as a limited run of 100 for their Florence boutique. Stunning blue in person.

1 person likes this.
  2. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

Thanks, Derek. To put it bluntly, a platinum Daytona is what some would call (and wear as) a "fuck-off" watch, and I'm fine with that. It has the capacity to be something other than a simple money bludgeon, though, due to its reasonable size and platinum's tendency to go a bit matte with use. It can still stand on its own as a beautiful and even semi-stealthy watch once you take away the whole Rolex thing. It's all in how you wear it.

3. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

cant speak for all the alloys, but i have spoken to many jewelers and read much about it, all of which said plat was harder. as well, i have held a great deal of plat and 18k jewelry in my hand. i can easily bend 18k jewelry with my hand, plat, not so. much harder. i am not saying there is no plat alloy that is not more pliable than a certain 18k alloy, but standard 950 plat is far harder than 18k gold.

now, by softer, you may also be referring to hardness, as in scratch resistance. in which case plat is very easily scratched, quite possibly more so than 18. but as far as bending it and molding it, as far as i know from working with it, and from hearing from jewelers, and from reading about it, plat is harder than 18k.

also, dino, 10k is 41.7% gold, or at least it is supposed to be. much of it is 39.5%.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  4. jhcam8

jhcam8 Well-Known Member

Until you take a Patek, BP, Glasutte, AP... - any of which can be beautiful- in for repair & cough up 5K, maybe you start thinking that a nice, reliable Rolex is the ticket.

5. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

agreed again. The point you raised of having a watch that you can wear in any situation is quite true...however, if youre buying an $80K watch, its safe to say its not gonna be your only watch. ;)

this is correct.

well, like i said above...if you can afford 80K for a watch, the 5K maintenance every 15 years isnt gonna be a concern. ;)

6. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH THAT DIAL IS AWESOME AND FOR MANLY MEN!!!

less is more? YO FUCK THAT SHIT!! MORE IS MORE!!!

the only issue with this is, that it will never be a 2k watch. not by any maker. if it were, it would be a substantially different watch. now, i know its not loved across the board, i used be very unmoved by it. but i have come to love it.

i mean, why cant chevy make the volt look like a ferrari and sell it for 15k? because what goes into making that what it is, by nature is costly.

the finishing of the nautilus, the lines and angles, the movement, the whole shebang. its a great watch that some love and some hate. nor price nor exclusivity is not a factor is a factor imo.

1 person likes this.
  7. Belligero

Bingo.

The time it can take to service them can be considerable as well, especially if you live outside the few cities that have their own service centres and have to get in the Swiss queue, in which case there's a decent chance that the duration is going to be measured in years.

8. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I still think the "ice" Day-Date looks like a girl's watch. But Counsellor Belligero for the defence is speaking sense. Ultimately, a watch that belongs to a jerk is a jerks' watch, and a watch that belongs to a gentleman is a gentleman's watch. If you look at this and love it, it's the one for you I suppose. I'd still balk at the price, and maybe take a steel Daytona and a Datograph instead. But those games we can play forever.

Apart from the fact that the PtD called to me weirdly in my dreams after I insulted it. I'm beginning to suspect that to destroy one, a tiny dude with no shoes will have to cast it into a fire with a big eye hovering over it.

9. jhcam8

jhcam8 Well-Known Member

I suppose for an 80K model. I was thinking of the more pedestrian types in the 10 - 20k range where a seemingly straight forward repair (not maintenance) can run 25% of the cost of the watch.
    Even a mere 3K for cleaning on a 16K piece seems a bit out of line.
    Just seems high to me. :eh:

10. Belligero

Such is the dark magic of Rolex. Beware.

11. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Ha. If you live outside a major market...hell, if you live outside the US or Europe, service is an eye-pulling, ball-crushing, motherfucking nightmare on stilts.

Last year I got my super-simple, scruffy, three hand vintage Omega put back together. Just a simple service, and replacement glass and crown, plus one non-original hand that had snuck in there about forty years ago. It was the ex-dealer who still had some parts and whatnot, and was able to do it for me. It was about $200 - plenty for just that, but probably as much as the watch is worth, just worth it for the sentimental value. I was delighted with it.

Two months ago I dropped the poor beast on the floor, smashed the glass and the movement stopped. Not wanting to take chances, I went straight to the new AD - a massive regional operation with about twenty brands including all the Swatch group and plenty of shittier designer stuff. Anyway, they sent it to their regional centre. Can't do anything. Then got me to undertake to pay insured shipping costs to Switzerland ($120-ish) - regardless of whether I accept the repair quote - and sent it away. After another month, I got an email: "We can't restore this as the dial is discontinued and this type cannot be restored". All I asked was for a new glass and check/repair the movement. So now I wait for a response to my angry-gram.

If that's what a manual-wind, three hand cheap vintage item does to you, I hate to think what I'd have to go through to service a Langematik, or, God forbid, fix one if it went wrong.

12. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Well-Known Member

This is happening to me with the skydweller a bit, but I don't really see one in my future.

13. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Hi Kewl, Congrats and enjoy it!
    Interesting opinion. I love the ideal of a Platinum Daytona. I had thought back in the 90s when I bought my first oen that it would be an amazing watch in platinum. Very subtle (only a few might realize its not steel or wg), I love the sheer weight of platinum, and its more durable than gold. Based on the amount of work it takes to mine platinum, the difficulties in working with it, and the volume of it you would be getting with a Daytona case and Oyster bracelet I can accept the price. As a do anything kind of watch, it would surely work. My main issue with it is the dial and bezel. I think they could have really done something great with this watch, but instead it really starts to resemble a fashion watch, rather than a tool watch. Ice blue and brown would work for me if it were a tie, but I just dont love it on a watch. Sure thats purely subjective but for that kind of money I would have to love the watch...and this one, well I don't. Maybe they will work on an alternative dial and bezel for those that don't want the "Paris Hilton edition." [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I'll take a wild guess at all platinum with mother of pearl dial and diamonds...

15. Cylon

Cylon Well-Known Member

I just returned to the US on Monday after a month of travel, and wanted to put this thread in reverse for a moment to go back to a great post I was unable to comment upon before I left

In case people need a small refresher, the broader conversation was between DLJr and Dino944 about whether or not the GO PanomaticLunar was a rip-off of the ALS Lange 1. It's not my intention, however, to bring us back to this specific question (or related questions of authenticity).

Rather, I want to draw our attention to Dino's response in terms of his ability to reduce his interest in our shared hobby to a single word: originality. The subsequent examples he writes afterward can all be traced back to this point, and I want to ask if can anyone else can do the same? Are you as acutely aware of why you're here?

1 person likes this.
  16. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

on a serious note...dino is great....very knowledgeable and polite.

1 person likes this.
  17. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

I concur. Should he be dubbed the TWAT Master?

On a serious note though, he has been a great resource, especially for me, as a young gun, who is so new to horology and has to learn all this stuff from someone else.

18. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

custom title? :lol:

1 person likes this.
  19. Cylon

Cylon Well-Known Member

I'm afraid my answer is slightly more narcissistic, and I'm not so sure I could boil it down to a single word as elegantly as Dino has done--though maybe narcissism is in fact the word I am looking for [​IMG]. I find my thought patterns revolve around the idea of purchasing a watch to symbolize various elements of my own identity. By this I mean something more than a simple dress-watch/sport watch dichotomy to reflect me "at-work" & "at-play"

I've shared before the fact that the JLC MUT Moon was a wedding gift from my wife. So on a basic level, the symbolic meaning independent of whatever watch I chose is always associated with me being a husband. But deeper than that is the fact that we were married in the mosque, and so the moonphase complication has added religious symbolism. The moonphase complication isn't so useless after all if you need to track the Islamic lunar calendar too. HA!

[​IMG]

Secondly, the Speedy Pro was purchased to commemorate the birth of my first child. I wanted something visually different than the MUT Moon (i.e. sport watch), yes, but also something that encapsulated certain notions (stereotypes?) of fatherhood--adventure, imagination, exploration. Throw in another aspect of my identity (American) and I had no choice but to go with the watch that represents the quintessential American achievement of the 20th century (sorry Hamilton).

[​IMG]

Finally, as an American Muslim of Indian heritage I will mostly likely have to purchase a Reverso at some point in the future to keep this whole story consistent. While Polo is strongly associated with Britain and Argentina in the modern era, the Brits learned the sport during their colonial foray in India, and as everybody already knows, this is where the story of the Reverso begins. There is an alternative in the Rolex Explorer since it is so strongly associated with the himalayas, but since Mt. Everest is in Nepal rather than India, the connection is that much weaker.

So there you have it. Hope I did not bore y'all too much.

2 people like this.
  20. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

^^wow. i just buy whatever watch gets my dick hard that day. ;)

great stuff.....its nice being able to tie in a meaning to each watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.