1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

Changing the conversation up to something more ubiquitous...
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. tim_horton

tim_horton Well-Known Member

I see your points, but (realistically) you can't commission a watch the way you would a bespoke suit. If someone was in the market for a two-handed dress watch, it's doubtful they will find something that ticks 100% of all of their boxes. A movement that is a couple of mm undersized isn't a very big concession (for some) in a watch that may otherwise satisfy all of the criteria that they are looking for.

I was looking at two-handed dress watches a while back ... it seemed like the majority of them were 39mm or above (a bigger issue for me than a movement that's somewhat undersized, especially since there is no subdial to betray it) or aesthetically weren't what I was looking for (Calatrava 5120). I'd take a Saxonia Thin 37mm with a movement a couple of millimeters undersized over a Saxonia Thin at 40mm with a perfectly sized movement (if one existed.)

That being said, $15,000 is a huge investment for a watch (assuming you have to buy it new, but why would you?!?), so you have to be sure you love the watch in spite of its faults.

3. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Other simple gold dress watches for ~$15K retail:

Reverso Grand Taille ($15,800)
    [​IMG]

Geophysic True Second ($17,500)
    [​IMG]

Cartier Tank Louis Cartier Extra Flat (~$18,000)
    [​IMG]

Vacheron Patrimony Traditionelle Small Seconds ($19,500)
    [​IMG]

IWC Portuguese Handwound 8-Days ($20,000)
    [​IMG]

4. tim_horton

tim_horton Well-Known Member

Those are all great pieces. I had been specifically looking for dress watches without a seconds hand, though, which narrowed the field a bit (and I wound up not getting anything.)

5. mafoofan

Can highly recommend that Tank. It was a joy.

6. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

"You can't really believe..." Is that how you normally speak to people you don't know? Put your dick away, mate.

What I said is that high brand awareness through ubiquitous advertising makes for a strong used market as well as higher new prices. Nevertheless you've made me think about the top end at auction, too: not every collector is knowledgeable, nor are many knowledgeable folks in the market to spend "hundreds of thousands or more on a single watch at auction". It is a fact that all buyers of such watches are rich, but a speculation that they favour the maker based primarily on great knowledge.

I would hypothesise that millionaires who get a new hobby are just as likely as poor people to buy the brand they know, and that they know their friends know. What would be your best guess as to what a wealthy "impressionable neophyte" looking for an impressive vintage watch, would want to buy?

What I would not argue is that in this case, they are indeed buying a good one.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  7. Nikolaus

Nikolaus Well-Known Member

You can look at Chopard Luc; Rolex Cellini is also elegant.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I'd suggest a used 1815. They also come in small. [​IMG]

9. Nikolaus

10. Nikolaus

pre-shrunk? [​IMG]

11. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

I haven't looked at the Tradititionelle Small Seconds in some time. However, I don't recall thinking the movement looked too small for the case. You may want to take another look at the Hodinkee article comparing the VC, Lange and Journe...just for some perspective. There is a photo showing the backs/movements of all three together. While the metal section of the VC case back isn't the narrowest on the market, its the case diameter is the size as a PP 5296, but the VC movement's diameter is larger 28.6 rather than 27mm. Anyway, no right or wrong, if you feel the movement in the VC would be too small for you that cool...I just think there are many watches out there that are worse small movement to case size ratio offenders than VC (or the 5296...just used that for comparison sake).

Always a pleasure to see another RO.
    Mine says hello
    [​IMG]

Lots of possibilities for dress watches without seconds hands, a few additional pieces to consider the Piaget Altiplano, Cartier Tank XL, VC, JLC Master Ultra Thin, AP Jules Audemars, etc.

2 people like this.
  12. troika

troika Well-Known Member

Hey guys, what's the number of this AP RO? 41mm with blue textured dial? Trying to aim for this in about 3 years after finishing grad school

13. mafoofan

14. DLJr

DLJr Well-Known Member

The one in Dino's picture is the 15202 and is 39mm. The 15400 is 41mm.

15. troika

troika Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, gonna start researching this further on. Currently thinkin about this or a coke gmt. A gmt is my fav complication, but I love the rugged simplicity of the RO...

16. Omega Male

Omega Male Well-Known Member

The Traditionelle Small Seconds is a 29 mm movement in a 38 mm case and the (new smaller) Saxonia Thin is a 28 mm movement in a 37 mm case, so it's a wash.

There are far worse offenders like the Patek 5196 (already mentioned) or VC Patrimony, which has a 21 mm movement in a 40 mm case.

Out of interest, which comparable dress watches in the 36/37/38 size range do have "appropriately sized" movements, if that was to be the deal breaker?

17. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Very interested in the responses

18. DLJr

DLJr Well-Known Member

FWIW, I don't mind movements which aren't "appropriately sized" assuming it isn't obvious on the dial and they use a solid case back. For me, it's more an issue of being able to see it and that visual irking me. Just find it visually unappealing.

1 person likes this.
  19. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

Same here. And I hate to just say ,"out of sight, out of mind", but there IS an element of truth to that.

For example, I've really always favored this version of the Altiplano (38 mm), as mentioned before ... but it has their 430P movement in it, which is "only" 20.5 mm.

[​IMG]

That wasn't really a personal deal-breaker for me, but ultimately I went with a different watch.

3 people like this.
  20. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Well-Known Member

Same here. I agree generally that oversized cases with smaller movements is less than ideal but it seems like we may be cherrypicking.

I have a Nomos Tangomat GMT which has a 31MM movement in a 40MM case. From reading the last few pages, that seems like perhaps an acceptable differential although the small seconds subdial is somewhat close to the center. I have a couple of sport watches with 10-11MM differentials which I would assume would be bad, but they are oyster cased watches (GMTII and Explorer) so I'm going to assume most would give them a pass. Is that because of the nature of the oyster case or because they're Rolexes? I would point to the nature of the Oyster case and the fact that it has functional advantages, but those don't apply to Rolex Cellinis with their 10MM+ differences in movement to case size.

Then Mafoo posts a number of alternative $15k precious metal watches but a few of them (VC and JLC) seem to have just as large a gap between case and movement size.

1 person likes this.