1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Just wondering how Baume & Mercier made the cut and Lange didn't for the thread title.

2. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

My wrist is the same size, and 42 mm is the largest I'll wear. That said, several factors besides case width affect how large a watch looks on your wrist. These include bezel width, dial color, and lug-to-lug length. In my experience, dive watches tend to wear a little smaller than their listed size because of their wider bezel and darker face. The Tudor will definitely look smaller than the IWC Portuguese pictured on this page. As always, try before you buy.

3. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

I wanted to mention this earlier but decided not to. Could also throw in IWC, Nomos, Seiko and a host of others as well but I think Lange is a must.

4. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

I don't think any slight against Lange was intended. The brands mentioned in the title seem to be the ones most frequently mentioned in the thread. I'm more surprised that Panerai didn't make the cut.

5. alpyigit

alpyigit Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    German day!

10 people like this.
  6. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

Aw crap, when did the thread title get changed to the brand name list thing again? I find that a bit cheesy. :|

6 people like this.
  7. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the Seventies. I'm not a big GO fan, but both the Seventies and Sixties definitely have the "feel" down in my opinion. In fact it's interesting that they didn't do some sort of Mad Men collaboration, though the show using original watches was surely a much better idea and I think it'd be tough to top the Mad Men Reverso. Still I think GO has found a niche where they're doing a "tribute" watch if you will that is notably different than the other tribute watches being done elsewhere.

Also, nice little collection you have. Very different than a lot of other collections I've seen out there.

I've become such a big Lange fan and I've never even seen one in the flesh. I can definitely see how a Lange could be a "One Watch" and that's coming from someone who loves the 1815 (along with a few other Langes). Congratulations!

Same here. Have for years.

I think Rolex gets too much fanfare and that other watchmakers/watches don't get their due as a result, but I'd have to say go with the Rolex here and it's an easy choice. Not a big fan of that IWC either way (thought I agree with Dino's thoughts on some of their watches from the 90s), but that aside for how you're looking to wear the watch I would think the Rolex fits the bill more.

As for the hard and fast rules of wear, I think you'll find that the percentage of folks who get that is quite small. Not so much in your circles as in mine I'm sure, but still I would think that would be the case to some extent. I would add though that while neither watch suits a tux in my opinion, if you were to add a nice alligator leather strap to the Rolex you could make it work well at the office. I personally prefer a dark navy blue which would work well with that watch and with your suits.

While I hadn't noticed and don't think it's overly important, the thread title does beg the question.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. pmeis

pmeis Well-Known Member

Thanks for the complement. In general whether its bass guitars or watches, I've always been drawn to things that are a little bit different, even if its simply an uncommon version of a common brand like Panerai. I'm mainly drawn to watches that are fairly austere while having at least one aspect that's a little off the beaten path.

2 people like this.
  9. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I agree. I deliberately mentioned top-selling luxury brands - a lot of them - in the FAQ. That, and of course the hundreds of mentions in posts, I would have thought should cover the search engine needs. Apart from looking a bit tacky, I think this title sends the opposite of the message that supposedly made the FAQ so important: that this is a thread to discuss any watches, and not a brand-whoring exclusive vanity parade. Bah.

6 people like this.
  10. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

11. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

12. robw

robw Well-Known Member

Good call

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

Nice GT, robw.

Anybody got a cool engraving to show off?

Mine's still blank at this point.

14. apropos

apropos Well-Known Member

This is my TT1931 Rouge. JC Randell has sadly retired now - I never managed to get another Reverso engraved for my wife, which will probably be one of my bigger horological regrets going forward. :(

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. robw

robw Well-Known Member

Thanks but actually a Duo. Here is the other side. Crappy pic doesn't do the guilloche justice.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Well-Known Member

Running late per usual, but still in on Reverso Thursday!

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  17. IGotId

IGotId Well-Known Member

Thanks! I debated getting this duoface vs. a TT1931... a pic of the 'other side' for 'Reverso Thursday':

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  18. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

'

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
    3 people like this.
  19. tricky

tricky Well-Known Member

God I need a Reverso in my life.

20. OzWino

OzWino Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the JlC Reverso posts. Love them, very stylish and still classical. I was just looking at a few prior to visiting SF, so your timing is perfect.

One question to those who wear them; is there anything that annoys you with them - style or function, or whatever?