1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Viral

Viral Well-Known Member

Thanks - LOL.....not looking to buy 8, just figured if a couple of people were really serious about buying, I would shop around and see what type of deals could be had. I'm also definitely going to contact some of the grey dealers and trusted non-AD sellers.

for real! Sometimes makes me think I'm in the wrong business........

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  2. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

"Cheap" is relative, though. And if there are 200, they won't be leaking at once...

Single digit discounts are there on a Sub, but at that difference maybe the AD is worth it? Tax free with a lucky currency swing maybe...but then there is that whole Rolex import thing.

2 people like this.
  3. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

You might do better if you got a few people to buy from a gray dealer, but I doubt much will happen with an AD, beyond maybe a small discount if you are lucky. Subs are good sellers for ADs, and many don't need to discount them. One AD told me years ago having Rolex in a store can make or break a month, all the other high end stuff is nice eye candy but they don't have the same positive impact on a store's cash flow as Rolex. Wishing you lots of luck !

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  4. Classic37

Classic37 Member

Posted this before, but liking it very much today
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. atia2

atia2 Well-Known Member

Excellent. You've managed to make a gold Rolex look classy and understated. Would benefit from a long sleeve, but I like it.

6. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I suggest a brown or navy strap too. But it's still classy. Thanks for sharing.

7. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

The Rolex import thing is now nonexistent. People are freely importing from the EU. RSCNY, however, is now demanding a sales receipt when servicing an EU sourced watch under warranty. There are huge threads detailing all this information on TRF.

8. cchen

cchen Well-Known Member

The morning session of the Christie's auction was pretty crazy. Was eyeing some lots and the bidding got so crazy I couldn't click fast enough. The almost $3M Breguet pocketwatch that was bought by the Patek museum was just stunning and all of the good lots broke the estimates.

Hoping I might find some "value" lots in the afternoon session

9. ctp120

ctp120 Well-Known Member

I bought a new sub a year and a half ago from a local AD. I told him I preferred to buy local but was considering buying out of state and having it shipped to save the sales tax. They offered to meet me halfway by giving me a single digit discount, but it involved a lot of "let me talk to my manager."

10. jhcam8

jhcam8 Well-Known Member

Pams are widely sold on all the forums you mentioned. Most of the dealers will give you a fair trade-in value if you don't want to sell directly - and they'll send you a mailing label.

11. Joenobody0

Trading for something you like better is almost always going to yield less of a loss from new, with a dealer.

12. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

9 times out of 10....any watch you buy new from an AD will yield a loss even if selling privately.

13. Joenobody0

99.999 times out of 100 more likely. It's a question of losing 20% versus 70%.

14. tigerpac

tigerpac Well-Known Member

Quote:Yeah I'm watching it now, some interesting pieces that still don't cost as much as a house... some.

15. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

Nice....seems like you almost always see this type of fluted Rolex as a DJ or Day-Date, but it looks quite fetching to me sans cyclops.

16. Joenobody0

17. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

Well, I'll be honest: I've never really paid a *whole* lot of attention to anything outside of Rolex's sport models anyway.

And to me, the Cellini family is kind of like its own ball of wax.

1 person likes this.
  18. Joenobody0

Nobody pays attention to Cellini. I love them, but never give them a second thought when I buy.

19. Dachshund

Dachshund Well-Known Member

Been away for a while. This today.

[​IMG]

11 people like this.
  20. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Well-Known Member

^ gorgeous, always loved that model.