• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since several were nice enough to offer opinions I'll update... I've decided I can't make the decision on my wife's watch on my own, it's just too personal a decision and not really fair to her for me to decide. So, even though it could mean major pushback from her, I'll take the risk and I'll take her out one afternoon soon and just tell her she has no choice but to pick something
smile.gif
Never thought I would spend retail for something like this, but this will have to be an exception.

I also decided on the Sub for myself... Now, Sub date or Sub... LOL.

Thanks for the help from everyone...
Sounds like you have made some good decisions. As for Sub Date or Sub...unless you specifically prefer the date, the cleaner look of the Non-Date Sub is very appealing. Not to mention, it will save you some money and be good practice for getting used to other watches you may own in the future which do not have a date
wink.gif

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since several were nice enough to offer opinions I'll update... I've decided I can't make the decision on my wife's watch on my own, it's just too personal a decision and not really fair to her for me to decide. So, even though it could mean major pushback from her, I'll take the risk and I'll take her out one afternoon soon and just tell her she has no choice but to pick something
smile.gif
Never thought I would spend retail for something like this, but this will have to be an exception.

I also decided on the Sub for myself... I've taken a few days to think about it, went back to the AD again and I've simply been resisting for no reason. The Daytona does make me swoon and it probably is my grail watch at the moment, and it KILLS me to be this close and let it pass by, but honestly I can't swing something for my wife (especially at retail) plus even a used Daytona right now. I'd rather have my DJ and a new Sub to switch between than just the Daytona so that's the route I'll be going. Now, Sub date or Sub... LOL.

Thanks for the help from everyone...

Sub is a great choice, but absolutely go no-date.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Got myself two modern reissue Soviet officer's watches, the legendary "Komandirskie" - literally translated as "Officer's". The original was commissioned by the Soviet Ministry of Defense in 1965 and was a staple wristwatch for most Soviet officers up to the mid and late 80's. Not high end by any stretch of imagination but near and dear to my heart - the gold variant was my first watch given to me by my dad who was in the Soviet Army.

Nice looking and pretty solidly built watch with good readability and time-tested manual movement, fun to wear to get a break from the hoity-toity Swiss pieces :)

Cool. Do you have any of the Russian divers? Just curious...they are also fairly popular and come with some interesting history as well.

Igor01

Reaction score
Cool. Do you have any of the Russian divers? Just curious...they are also fairly popular and come with some interesting history as well.

I don't have any Russian divers. Haven't really been into them probably because I've seen the birth of that genre unfold in the early 90's when USSR broke up and all the kitchy Soviet-themed paraphernalia came into being. The real Komandirskie Amphibia models were relatively rare during the Soviet era for a couple of reasons: the Komandirskie watches could only be purchased by active duty officers in specialized stores located within the restricted perimeter of a military unit or a base and the regular non-Amphibia models were viewed as less suitable for regular wear with your everyday garrison uniform. Most wore the regular models as they were dressy and slid under your shirt cuff very easily.

With the general degradation of economy prior to USSR's breakup and the outright disastrous collapse after, the Chistopol watch plant had to lower their quality standards when it comes to materials and assembly and was force to start producing the garish watches with tanks, planes, parachutes, KGB emblems and all manner of crazy dial decorations which would have been unthinkable in the Soviet time.

So, the popularity of Russian watches left me unaffected, I saw the quality slide and the new kitchy pseudo-Soviet/militaristic aesthetic rise, and neither trend was a good thing in my view. The reason I grabbed these two reissues was because this model has a strong sentimental appeal to me. Also, the company that produced them, Meranom, is based out of the Chistopol plant that used to make the real Komandirskie watches and they used just the right amount of the original Komandirskie DNA while injectected enough of modernity into the classic design. The original ones are a little too small by today's standards - 35mm, the reissue is a more wearable 39. There is an exhibition caseback on the reissue with some decoration on the movement which certainly adds to the visual appeal of the watch. The original are almost impossible to find in mint condition now, so getting these two at just over $100 a pop was a no-brainer.

Having said that, I might pick up something from Meranom.com in the future, I like some of the things they are doing with their watches and yes, a lot of people like their drivers.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sub is a great choice, but absolutely go no-date.

Strongly leaning that way. But, my local AD said it was a 'Sub Jr' and everyone would wonder why I didn't get the 'real one'. :fu:

And ADs wonder why the grey market is so compelling.

robw

Reaction score
Don't listen to the A.D. and don't listen to all the Internet experts either. Do what you like. I have a date sub and I'm very happy I got it. I understand the appeal of the no date sub, I just like the date sub more. Plenty of people disagree with me. Who cares?

It's your watch, your call.

Strongly leaning that way. But, my local AD said it was a 'Sub Jr' and everyone would wonder why I didn't get the 'real one'. :fu:

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds like you have made some good decisions.  As for Sub Date or Sub...unless you specifically prefer the date, the cleaner look of the Non-Date Sub is very appealing.  Not to mention, it will save you some money and be  good practice for getting used to other watches you may own in the future which do not have a date ;)

The answer is easy. Just get the no date so you have an excuse to pick up the blnr blue/black bezel down the road. That one has a date.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A nice, clean ref. 5513 or (even better) a ref. 5512 Submariner is the way to go, if you're gonna go no-date.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Anyone who knows; knows that the Sub (no date) is the real one.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strongly leaning that way. But, my local AD said it was a 'Sub Jr' and everyone would wonder why I didn't get the 'real one'.
ffffuuuu.gif
Both are great watches. Your local AD is merely trying convince you to buy the more expensive one (he doesn't have your best interest at heart). How the hell would he know who you hang out with or what they would think? Hell, most of my friends aren't watch guys and don't care about my watch choices, and my watch friends are just happy for me if I buy something that puts a smile on my face. Buy the one that makes you happy, and who gives a **** what the AD or anyone else thinks!

dan'l

Reaction score
When I was searching for my first "real" watch, I naively thought one would be enough, so I sought out something with a date. It is quite handy to have this feature if you wear only one watch. But as my collection started to grow, I found myself drawn to watches without a date, merely for the fact that I do not have to set the date after not having worn the watch for some time.

This is also why I like hand-wound watches - it somehow doesn't seem right to manually wind automatics after they've been sitting in the watch box.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics