1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!

Bought it because (1) big fan of IWC, (2) pricing (got it at a family & friends sale), and (3) I found the shape to be very distinctive - the square design is great, and I thought the size would also be great (on paper, it seems only a little larger than my 3777).

A couple of months on, and as you guys mentioned, I'm personally still getting used to the busy-ness of the dial and the square design - it's just so different to the 3777. I don't have a huge issue with the size - it's just a little bigger than the 3777 on wrist and it still fits under my shirt cuffs (that were tailored for the 3777), but yeah, that dial - takes some getting used to.

I like it overall, very distinctive and general feedback from third parties (non watch lovers generally) have been great too, but I'm not sure it'll be a permanent keeper like the 3777 is. Let's see! In the meantime, a few more photos.

(Forgot how to hide the below...)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Definitely looking forward to the new arrival. '

It can't be much more difficult than having a dog, right!? :p

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

HA, that made me laugh...
    congrats and best of luck.

1 person likes this.
  4. tigerpac

tigerpac Well-Known Member

Back to the finishing on the mystery movement...

While a macro lens may tell otherwise, to the naked eye - I think the finishing looks excellent. You see several of the hard to accomplish interior angles on the anglage. The vast majority of makers, (including the trinity brands) don't include this handwork until their very complicated watches. Some 'high-end' brands don't include it at all.

5. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

So, if anyone of you have one of these collecting dust in a drawer, please let me know:

[​IMG]

(26mm, Ref 179174)

Or if you know where to pick one up at a good price (would probably have to be from somewhere in Europe)...

Alternatively, how far back do you have to go to find a lady's Nautilus in steel (or maybe white gold - quartz is fine), smaller than 30mm? What references to search for?

6. culverwood

culverwood Well-Known Member

The Nautilus 4700 is 26mm and 10 year old examples are available

7. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

Thank you, I actually just stumbled across one of those. Do you know if it only came with a black dial, or did they offer it with a blue as well?

8. SteveH35

SteveH35 Well-Known Member

Been moving and haven't been on SF much. Can't believe I have 300+ posts to catch up on here!! This has been my darling for the last week. MB&F HM5. Very tough watch to photograph.

[​IMG]

9. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Well-Known Member

Thanks, tiger. Anyone else? Much like elsewhere we've got responses ranging from mediocre to excellent, which again leads me to believe that 'finishing' is still a nebulous concept for most people.

[​IMG]

10. Grammaton Cleric

Sorry, mimo - not trying to be combative, but I genuinely don't know what the above means. The question as posed is simply if the movement in question is well finished (as people say Dufour or Kari or Datographs are).

11. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Well-Known Member

To my mild surprise my wife prefers the 31mm Datejust w/ jubilee bracelet and fluted bezel. We tried on some things this weekend and she loved that version. She's taking a few days to think it over before we pull the trigger. And, I didn't even have to convince her that I needed a Sub for myself... good times. I'll post a pic once acquired!

12. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

I suppose there are things related to the finishing on that movement that appear well executed and others that may appear as only so/so.
    To me the beveled edges, although nice, seem not perfect.
    The surface underneath appears bead blasted. meh...
    Some of the components are unfinished.
    I am not a watchmaker, nor do I even know all of the watch specific finishing terminologies, so take my input with a grain of salt.
    I am however an engineer who spent a 7 years as a machinist while in school prior to graduating, so I have some knowledge of the basic methods here.

3 people like this.
  13. firenze_rob

firenze_rob Well-Known Member

Disappointed that a tri-compax won out. Then again, I didn't vote. A portend of things to come this November.

14. Grammaton Cleric

That's not a tri-compax. This is counter-intuitive, but a tri-compax has four sub-dials.

2 people like this.
  15. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Oh neither am I, really. Just referring to a previous discussion, and then taking a punt on this one: to be more specific about my ignorant first impression, it looks like a lot of work has gone into it to make it pretty. But, it doesn't project to me the kind of other-worldly precision that I get from looking into a Lange. That might be my own positive prejudice, and is certainly from a position of limited knowledge.

What I feel when I look at the decoration on the plates and the anglage is something homely, artisanal and hand-crafted, and what I don't see (I could be wrong), is tiny chamfering on the teeth of the wheels to reduce friction and wear. A difference of perspective. It's just a feeling, and I don't know anything about the watch in question. But as I hinted in my first post, I thought I'd just start the ball rolling by shooting from the hip and wait for someone to set me straight. I'm still there. :)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  16. Grammaton Cleric

Ah, gotcha - thanks. I'll leave it open for a bit and then share the make / model.

17. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Well-Known Member

Red, white and blue palette seems fitting for primary day here in NY. It has been a great first three months of owning this 1675. I have found it to be exceptionally versatile.

[​IMG]

Edit: sorry guys, dont know how to resize the image so I have put spoiler tags around it.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  18. firenze_rob

firenze_rob Well-Known Member

Thanks for the point of clarification.

19. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Well-Known Member

This guy has been getting lots of wrist time lately.

[​IMG]

20. roomiller

roomiller Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Been a few years since I've posted on Styleforum(I had some good laughs looking back at my 22yo self), but I've lurked in this thread plenty. Feels good to finally be able to contribute...

Had this for little less than a month now and I couldn't be more in love. I was celebrating my engagement in Paris with my fiance and sort of "impulse" bought this. I had always admired and longed after the Pelagos, but had never planned to pick one up. Walking around, I started peering through watch shop windows pointing out the watches I loved and my fiance could see the twinkle in my eye. I was hesitant to finally pull the trigger, but with the 1-2 combo of her encouragement and the VAT refund I finally went for it.

I tried on many(too many, if you ask the fiance) watches, but ultimately settled for the Pelagos because I loved the casual matte look and the idea of owning Tudors first movement. Despite the above pictures, I've been wearing it on the bracelet 95% of the time. I've never been much of a bracelet guy and i expected to swap it out right away, but it wears incredibly nicely and the spring setting on the clasp is very comfortable.

Ultimately, I'm ecstatic that I purchased this as my first watch because its something that I can see myself wearing for years and years.

11 people like this.