1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have made some good decisions. As for Sub Date or Sub...unless you specifically prefer the date, the cleaner look of the Non-Date Sub is very appealing. Not to mention, it will save you some money and be good practice for getting used to other watches you may own in the future which do not have a date [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Well-Known Member

Sub is a great choice, but absolutely go no-date.

3. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

Cool. Do you have any of the Russian divers? Just curious...they are also fairly popular and come with some interesting history as well.

4. Igor01

Igor01 Active Member

I don't have any Russian divers. Haven't really been into them probably because I've seen the birth of that genre unfold in the early 90's when USSR broke up and all the kitchy Soviet-themed paraphernalia came into being. The real Komandirskie Amphibia models were relatively rare during the Soviet era for a couple of reasons: the Komandirskie watches could only be purchased by active duty officers in specialized stores located within the restricted perimeter of a military unit or a base and the regular non-Amphibia models were viewed as less suitable for regular wear with your everyday garrison uniform. Most wore the regular models as they were dressy and slid under your shirt cuff very easily.

With the general degradation of economy prior to USSR's breakup and the outright disastrous collapse after, the Chistopol watch plant had to lower their quality standards when it comes to materials and assembly and was force to start producing the garish watches with tanks, planes, parachutes, KGB emblems and all manner of crazy dial decorations which would have been unthinkable in the Soviet time.

So, the popularity of Russian watches left me unaffected, I saw the quality slide and the new kitchy pseudo-Soviet/militaristic aesthetic rise, and neither trend was a good thing in my view. The reason I grabbed these two reissues was because this model has a strong sentimental appeal to me. Also, the company that produced them, Meranom, is based out of the Chistopol plant that used to make the real Komandirskie watches and they used just the right amount of the original Komandirskie DNA while injectected enough of modernity into the classic design. The original ones are a little too small by today's standards - 35mm, the reissue is a more wearable 39. There is an exhibition caseback on the reissue with some decoration on the movement which certainly adds to the visual appeal of the watch. The original are almost impossible to find in mint condition now, so getting these two at just over $100 a pop was a no-brainer.

Having said that, I might pick up something from Meranom.com in the future, I like some of the things they are doing with their watches and yes, a lot of people like their drivers.

1 person likes this.
  5. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Well-Known Member

Strongly leaning that way. But, my local AD said it was a 'Sub Jr' and everyone would wonder why I didn't get the 'real one'. :fu:

And ADs wonder why the grey market is so compelling.

6. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

The No Date is the classic of classics, the true original. Go that one and never look back.

7. robw

robw Well-Known Member

Don't listen to the A.D. and don't listen to all the Internet experts either. Do what you like. I have a date sub and I'm very happy I got it. I understand the appeal of the no date sub, I just like the date sub more. Plenty of people disagree with me. Who cares?

It's your watch, your call.

8. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

The answer is easy. Just get the no date so you have an excuse to pick up the blnr blue/black bezel down the road. That one has a date.

2 people like this.
  9. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

Submariner is the greatest watch ever made. :slayer:

2 people like this.
  10. Andy57

Andy57 Well-Known Member

A nice, clean ref. 5513 or (even better) a ref. 5512 Submariner is the way to go, if you're gonna go no-date.

1 person likes this.
  11. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

You can't go wrong with either Sub, but I'm naturally predisposed to the classic No Date.

1 person likes this.
  12. P12OFIT

P12OFIT Well-Known Member

I couldn't be happier with mine.

1 person likes this.
  13. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Anyone who knows; knows that the Sub (no date) is the real one.

1 person likes this.
  14. Dino944

Both are great watches. Your local AD is merely trying convince you to buy the more expensive one (he doesn't have your best interest at heart). How the hell would he know who you hang out with or what they would think? Hell, most of my friends aren't watch guys and don't care about my watch choices, and my watch friends are just happy for me if I buy something that puts a smile on my face. Buy the one that makes you happy, and who gives a shit what the AD or anyone else thinks!

1 person likes this.
  15. dan'l

dan'l Well-Known Member

When I was searching for my first "real" watch, I naively thought one would be enough, so I sought out something with a date. It is quite handy to have this feature if you wear only one watch. But as my collection started to grow, I found myself drawn to watches without a date, merely for the fact that I do not have to set the date after not having worn the watch for some time.

This is also why I like hand-wound watches - it somehow doesn't seem right to manually wind automatics after they've been sitting in the watch box.

16. eton97

eton97 Well-Known Member

2 great great references. And if you want a superb classic vintage, this is the way to go for sure. And if you want a date, the 1680 is what I'd go for.

17. Dino944

Actually, if your AD had any sense of wrist watch history, he would know that years ago the so called "Sub Jr" was the Tudor Submariner. He would also know that today the Tudor Subs have a strong following and nice vintage Tudor "Snowflake Subs" easily sell for as much as if not more than some 10 to 15 year old Explorer 2s, Subs and GMTs. So those that bought what they wanted ended up buying some very coveted watches.

Beyond that, there is a whole group of guys that wanted and liked the no-date Subs because that is what Jame Bond wore in several films. Some models are even referred to as James Bond Submariners. I've never heard anyone say Bond's watch was a Sub Jr. Don't let an AD push you around, buy what you like.

1 person likes this.
  18. LIMatt

LIMatt Well-Known Member

Open 9 day

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  19. atia2

atia2 Well-Known Member

Dat silver stick dial. Design classic.

20. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

It is almost comical how little some of the dealers/salespeople know.
    I was in a Rolex AD and they had a preowned AP RO 15300 when I was looking for mine.
    The salesperson questioned why I was looking at a "ladies watch" in the 39mm.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    2 people like this.