• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

firenze_rob

Reaction score

Really good movement.  There are many versions of Zenith El Primero Chronographs, so without more info about the actual watch you are considering, I don't think anyone could tell you a price range. 

Agree with Dino. There are too many variations in the El Primero line to make any sort of recommendation. Which reminds me of the time I first handled a Zenith. This must have been in the early naughties. I was at the, now defunct, Alpha Omega store near Harvard Square. I was shown a hideous Zenith Open Port Royal by the younger Handa. I thought the movement detail was nice, but overall wasn't for me. For those interested in a bit of boston cut and run business antics should google the shop name.

marvin100

Reaction score
It's so great that someone has finally come to the defense of Rolex!

firenze_rob

Reaction score

tigerpac

Reaction score
^0 feedback and $2.74 for shipping don't bode well for that GP

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was thinking about the 36,000 vph in the tri-color dial or the sun dial. 

Are you thinking about this watch? I think it's a very handsome watch, although I don't like that the minutes subdial is partially obscured. I've seen it available on the gray market for between $5 and $6K. A good example of the vintage model on which it is based (the A386) is not available for less than $10K.

ktown

Reaction score
I've wanted a BP for a long time but have held off on purchasing. What do you think of the watch's size relative to my 6.5" wrist?

Last edited:

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you thinking about this watch? I think it's a very handsome watch, although I don't like that the minutes subdial is partially obscured. I've seen it available on the gray market for between $5 and $6K. A good example of the vintage model on which it is based (the A386) is not available for less than $10K.
Yes that's the watch.

Also I think Jomashop has it for $4600 (close to 50% off msrp).

How much would this cost in the used market for something less than 2 years old?

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! One of the "problems" of too many watches is you can never wear them all enough. This one does not get as much wrist time as it probably should.

Oh, I'm sure. One reason why I haven't and probably won't go for a CS3111 or CS3110 at the moment is that I have my eyes on other watches, one in particular, and if I go for another watch no matter how much I like it I'll be cutting into the budget while at the same time taking away from the wrist time of other watches I prefer.

I've wanted a BP for a long time but have held off on purchasing. What do you think of the watch's size relative to my 6.5" wrist?

I think it looks massive. Of course it's going to at that size, but I'm not a fan. I think if you're going to go with a watch like that then wear it actually over a jacket sleeve like they used to back in the day. Of course how one feels about that and actually needing a jacket much in Los Angeles is another story, but were I looking for a pilot for the wrist I'd look at a smaller reference. The Mark XVIII for example, or the 36mm watch, though if you were to go with a "Mark" I'd go for an older version with either no date or a date that's laid out better if you're looking IWC specifically.

Last edited:

ktown

Reaction score
Yeah I also really like the Rolex BLNR and the IWC Port Auto. Not sure what I want. I wish the IWC BP came in perhaps a 43mm version...

firenze_rob

Reaction score

Yeah I also really like the Rolex BLNR and the IWC Port Auto. Not sure what I want. I wish the IWC BP came in perhaps a 43mm version...

I had a IWC BP 5004 that I traded to @SteveH35 a number of years ago. With respect to aesthetics, If you like pilot watches, the big pilot ticks off all the boxes.The dial and case finishing are great. And who doesn't love that distinctive crown. Living with the BP on a daily basis, however, is a challenge. It sits rather high on the wrist and it can be difficult to wear under cuffs at times. For myself, I started to wonder if I actually did want to wear a watch that Luftwaffe pilots wore whilst blitzing the western democracy. To each their own I suppose. If you're looking at sized down versions of time only pilot watches here are some brands and pieces that come to mind in various price ranges:

IWC Mark in their various iterations.
Tutima Flieger Automatic 638-01
Glashutte Original made a number of pilot watches
Stowa -
Laco
Azimuth

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score

Get the BLNR if you love it, and a Stowa Flieger with the change: the latter has all the history of the IWC, a movement of similar quality and a very wearable 40mm size for under a grand. Two watches, both will fit you better, have excellent residual value, the brand prestige you might want and even respectability among watch nerds. All problems solved for the price of the BP!

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tudor Pelagos Blue.

The Pelagos doesn't seem to get a lot of love here (although I can see why though, given the history of Rolex subs). I've handled it in person and the watch feels and looks great. The bracelet is very comfortable/light and it has spring bars to adjust to your preference when worn underwater. I believe the 5-liner has an in-house movement and an ample amount of power reserve. Nice watch Tchoy.

Just to digress a bit. Is it common for a guy to love the looks of a Rolex but is hesitant to wear one given the name of the company. I think wearing that name on your wrist sort of gives off a different vibe than say Omega, Tudor, Tags etc...This was one of the reasons (and price) why I was enticed by the Tudor brand. But yeah, Rolex looks amazing.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
@JezeC Go back a couple of pages and I think that's been touched on re. the diver conversation: I think some people do worry about choosing Rolex simply because it's so recognisable, and therefore seems a little obvious. And let's face it, there's no denying it's the first thing to appear on the used car salesman's wrist when he gets his own lot. But, as Belligero said (if I might paraphrase), it's obvious for a reason. The reason is it's a really good watch in every possible respect.

As for the Pelagos, I think you'll find quite a lot of love here, but it's very much a matter of taste: it's larger than a Sub, which some like and some don't. It's cheaper, even with the new COSC-certified movement - though the Black Bay is cheaper still. And it's lighter, being titanium, which some like and some don't.

I admire what Tudor have done to develop the Pelagos in its own direction - making it titanium, bigger, adding a helium release valve, and the 50atm depth rating that makes it more than a Sub and less than a Sea Dweller. In some ways, it's more practical and relevant as a dive watch than any of the Rolexes, and now has more in common with a Planet Ocean than a Submariner. For me, it falls slightly between "accessible" and "luxury" on price which is a difficult area to justify, and perhaps aesthetically will always feel a bit like a Sub-substitute. But that's just me, and it isn't: it's a really cool watch, and I know it has a lot of fans here.

Last edited:

tigerpac

Reaction score
Quote:
I'm not a huge vintage guy but like those choices. However, such a blanket statement can be dangerous! You'd turn away an old Daytona? I think some of them are OK. ;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads