• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like Omega has an answer to lukewarm Globemaster sales.

Thoughts?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thoughts?

It's just my opinion, but I think that it looks horrible.

They've taken a lovely, elegant-looking watch and ruined it by filling up the face with an unattractive font (although at least it's not Arial!). Also, to me, the choice of putting the months in-between the hour markers in the way that they have done looks rather strange, as well as unattractive.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Their solution seems to be "make an ugly version of the Sky Dweller". The Rolexy fluted bezel, the old fashioned italics and pie-pan stamped dial, against modern colours, shape and materials, and is that a Zenith star in there to really add to the dog's breakfast?

I kind of want to like it. The pie pan remix is a cool idea, the case and bezel and depth of dial actually fly together beautifully as a modern Omega. And it is blue, which is often a good thing.

But no. Too many ideas squashed incongruously into one design. I think, empirically speaking, that is a ******* mess.

Last edited:

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The phrase "lipstick on a pig" comes to mind.

I still find it odd that they named the family "Globemaster" and then wrote "Constellation" on the back with the observatory logo. As if to signify passing of the torch of accuracy to their new flagship movement?

Regardless, I think the case design is handsome. Modern construction with a throwback to their 1960s fluted constellation bezels. And I do remember wishing the standard model had more blue to it like the platinum model. But this... I mean come on. They just wrote the months of the year between the indices, stuck on an extra hand and added some "junk in the trunk."

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do we really need a month function on a watch anyway?
Are people walking round so addled that they don't even know what month it is?
If they had to add a third hand a subtle GMT function would surely have more utility?

firenze_rob

Reaction score

If they had to add a third hand a subtle GMT function would surely have more utility?

Well...as mentioned before on this forum, in the immortal words of Super Hans, "you can't trust people."

The economics of running a global brand and business makes a piece like this necessary. It's for the guy/gal who wants a Skydweller, but thinks that Rolex is so passé. I actually do quite like the case shape.

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many people are cross shopping a Skydweller and a Globemaster annual calendar? $30K vs. $10K is a big difference.

firenze_rob

Reaction score
Apologies for the logical leap there. I was assuming equivalence of aesthetics not price.

robw

Reaction score
Do we really need....insert your favorite complication here: perpetual calendar, tourbillon, repeater, moon phase, split second chrono, foudroyante, equation of time, etc.

Really, very little about mechanical watches is about need. I don't care for this Omega at all, but I have no problem with the additional function.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thoughts?
It is proof they know how to make an ugly watch uglier. To me the pie pan dial didn't work well with the modern case, and I didn't like the small fluting of the bezel. Adding the months around the dial hasn't sweetened the pot. They should just let the Globemaster line die of natural causes and focus their efforts elsewhere.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is proof they know how to make an ugly watch uglier.  To me the pie pan dial didn't work well with the modern case, and I didn't like the small fluting of the bezel.  Adding the months around the dial hasn't sweetened the pot.  They should just let the Globemaster line die of natural causes and focus their efforts elsewhere. 

The base Globamaster is interesting from a technical perspective, but otherwise bland. The one above is horrid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads