1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

For me, it's just the principle of the thing. I found it to be mildly disappointing, that's all.

2. Winot

Winot Well-Known Member

Hang on, that doesn't work. The crown adjusts both dials simultaneously, so two steps *are* necessary by your method.

3. robw

robw Well-Known Member

Wow, you are correct, sir. The crown does change the time both sides.

I haven't had to do this for a while as I haven't taken mine with me the last several times I traveled. Or I am getting old.

Still keeping my duo regardless.

4. Winot

Winot Well-Known Member

It's a lovely watch and I'm not sending it back. It's just a niggle really.

5. roomiller

roomiller Well-Known Member

6. firenze_rob

firenze_rob Well-Known Member

Wait...what happened to the date? I kid.

Dial looks great. I like the small seconds, but the placement of the "automatic" text could be different.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  7. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Well-Known Member

Yes, I read that some time ago and completely agree. I also like that it's not an exact copy of the original with just a subtle change like that which doesn't ruin the watch whatsoever. I like the asymmetry too as it's very subtle.

Wow, did you give me a scare! Looking at that photo I see what you mean. I immediately grabbed my loupe and studied it. Definitely a bad pic Can't believe it looks that way in the pic though. Thanks for pointing that out because had I missed it and it was actually like that... All is well though, apart from now being blind in my right eye from the reflection of the light off the hand.

I would think that it would be easier to set the time on each dial independently, but unless you're travelling a ton I wouldn't worry about it. Anyway, congratulations! Very nice choice. Enjoy! [​IMG]

8. Omega Male

Omega Male Well-Known Member

Quick taxi shot, as promised Dino.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    21 people like this.
  9. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

That's no taxi.

5 people like this.
  10. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Looks great!!! Congrats and enjoy it!!! [​IMG]

11. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Hopefully I don't jinx myself by saying so, but I think I've successfully convinced Rolex to sell me a half link for my SDc! :tinfoil:

You would think this would be easy, but turns out it's quite the process.

12. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

LOL...have to give up your firstborn?

13. Dino944

I didn't know Rolex made a half link. Also, unless I have made a mistake in thinking your SDc is a Sea Dweller with Ceramic bezel, don't the SD's with ceramic bezels and Subs have the glidelock clasp with multiple adjustments? Hence, I wouldn't think a half link would be necessary. On a watch like a Royal Oak there are no micro adjustments in the clasp, therefore they make a half link. Anyway, just curious.

14. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

The Subs (ceramic with glidelock) come with a half link. I'm glad that the Sub has a half link. I don't use my Glidelock to adjust fit, I only use it as a dive extension. Ya know...what it's meant for...hahaha

15. Dino944

Thanks for reminding me. Its been a while since I looked at a SD C. My Sub is the old fashioned stamped steel fliplock clasp.

16. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I'd take either clasp to be honest. I had no issues with my old Subs stamped clasp. Since I don't use my Glidelock for micro-adjusting the fit, I probably don't use it to it's most useful potential. I do prefer the outward appearance of the newer clasps, though. They "look" higher quality and a bit more fitting with the rest of the watch. IMO.

17. Dino944

Agreed. All the newer generation Rolex clasps give a much higher quality appearance and are more appropriate for watches in that price range. Although, in overall functionality, none of my old style stamped steel clasps ever let me down, no matter what kind of punishment they were subjected to (especially when I was younger and more careless with my first few watches).

18. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Exactly.

19. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Well you see, there actually is no half link for the SDc's bracelet (97400). There is one for the Sub, of course, the bracelet for which (97200) is - wait for it - exactly the same as the SD, except for the end links. Which, to state the obvious, would not remotely come in contact with a half link. The trick is getting Rolex to make the logical jump that the B32-21029-D1 half link for the 97200 will, therefore, also fit the 97400.

No mention of the firstborn; the gods smiled on me today!

If you ever find yourself interviewing for a position with Rolex, I recommend you repeat the above verbatim. Suspect you'll be hired on the spot! :cheers:

On a more serious note, yup, it's got glidelock. My issue isn't with overall sizing, but with centering the clasp. My wrist is pretty small (6.5"), and depending which links I remove, the clasp ends up pretty far to one side or the other. Glidelock adjusts from the 12:00 side, but a half link on the 6:00 side should get me the fit I want.

Had to explain to the SA that not only does the half link exist, but that it comes included with the ceramic Sub. But I will admit that I'm constantly fiddling with my Glidelock to adjust fit :)

20. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Haha. Not me. Set it and forget it!