1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

DavidSW has one right now.

2. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Well-Known Member

General question, interested in thoughts - how is IWC's value for money if I can buy a new Portugiser for 40% off rrp? Just curious. Thanks.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

They used to make some nice pieces that were a good value. Now, I find many of their pieces overpriced and there is nothing they currently produce that I would be interested in owning. However, if there is something they make and it puts a smile on your face, and you feel the price is right then go for it!

3 people like this.
  4. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

As usual Dino gives the answer I would have given, but much more eloquently than I am capable.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  5. kimmo

kimmo Well-Known Member

Incoming.

(Patek Bibliography by Foulkes. Decided on a late Chrismas present)

6. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I want that book. Did you order direct from the site that the Patek site links to? (The Patek Library)

7. Dino944

Thank you! [​IMG]

I hadn't noticed this before. I wonder if that's the preowned one the OP was referring to. Makes me feel pretty good about what I paid for mine and to see what they are going for. Cheers!

8. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Dunno, but he has one new and one pre-owned so he could go any direction he chooses.

9. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Do you have the 3714 in mind? It's expensive for what you get (modified Valjoux 7750), but also a handsome watch. Definitely try before you buy, as it wears huge for its size due to the thin bezel.

10. kimmo

kimmo Well-Known Member

Yep. 220 CHF + delivery.

11. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Awesome. Ordering today.

1 person likes this.
  12. robw

robw Well-Known Member

I don't think you should buy a big ticket item like a watch just because it can be had at a discount. That said, 40% is pretty good.

I don't agree with the other comments regarding IWC in general. IWC makes some choice watches IMO, as well as some clunkers, like pretty much every brand. The Portuguese, which you refer to is my favorite IWC line. I like most (but not all) of the models.

As far as overpriced goes, that is something that I find hard to put one's finger on when it comes to watches. All high end watches are overpriced in some way. To do a quick comparison, using one example, a Portuguese annual calendar in gold list is about 31k. A Patek 5205 annual is about 49k. The Lange Saxon is is similarly priced. All in house movements and all very high quality. Let's agree that IWC is not PP or Lange. Even so, can you still say this IWC is overpriced? I don't think so.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

13. Exdeath

Exdeath Well-Known Member

I think the concern is more that IWC is heavily discounting so many of their models straight out the door (a sign that sales aren't exactly very good in the current economic climate) that he's not sure whether they'll hold in value afterwards. I had a beautiful Spitfire chrono with the 89361 in-house movement that I got at 50% off RRP brand new, and struggled to offload it at anything close to that...

14. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

Sent in my 15300 for a service and refinishing. They did a bang up job.

Got some new wheels while I was at it. Don't worry, I still have the bracelet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13 people like this.
  15. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

^
    Looks great! The strap and deployant clasp combination is a sweet option to have, plus it'll keep that fantastic bracelet fresher. :)

16. robw

robw Well-Known Member

I don't know if the OP was going gray or authorized and I don't really know what is happening in the market these days.

When I was last shopping for an IWC (about 3 years ago) I went to some gray market dealers both online and in person and kept hearing that IWC (Richemont I guess) was working to restrict the discounting of its products, so the days of 35-40% off list were over. The best I could get was 25% off. Ultimately, I was referred by a friend to someone on 47th Street here in NYC and got about 30% off.

Maybe that has changed again; as I say, I don't really know. I do read the news, and things for the watch business look pretty bleak so maybe that is what is happening.

quote name="Exdeath" url="/t/518128/the-watch-appreciation-thread-part-two-rolex-patek-philippe-audemars-piguet-jaeger-lecoultre-baume-mercier-and-more/4080#post_8690462"]
    I think the concern is more that IWC is heavily discounting so many of their models straight out the door (a sign that sales aren't exactly very good in the current economic climate) that he's not sure whether they'll hold in value afterwards. I had a beautiful Spitfire chrono with the 89361 in-house movement that I got at 50% off RRP brand new, and struggled to offload it at anything close to that...[/quote]

17. Dino944

Overpriced is a relative term. Someone who is used to eating $15 steaks at the Sizzler may consider a $60+ steak at a steakhouse in NYC, Vegas, Miami, etc to be overpriced. However, someone used to fine dining, may have no problem eating a great burger at a well known dive, or spending $60+ on a great steak at a restaurant with great service and great ambiance, and may think both restaurants were worth the cost.

However, the fact that a Patek costs more than an IWC with similar functions, still doesn't mean that the IWC is not overpriced. At a certain point, whether something is overpriced, isn't merely about the price relative to other items, but about the quality, and the value of what you are getting for your money. Not to mention, a Patek that doesn't plummet in value and is easy to sell or trade if an owner wishes to, takes things beyond a mere comparison of MSRP.

In the end we all have differences as to what is worth purchasing. As I said to the OP, if there is an IWC that puts a smile on his face for the right amount of money, then go for it.

If resale value is a big issue for you, then for the most part you probably would be better off with something from Rolex (or Patek...if you are getting a serious holiday bonus [​IMG]). Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  18. rnguy001

rnguy001 Well-Known Member

Lawdy, that strap! :slayer:

19. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

Thanks kindly, gents. I was very much on the fence springing for it, but now that its here, I am rather enamored with it.

20. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Stitchy, is the AP a OneWatch(TM)? Definitely looks like it would go well with everything from a suit to jeans and a T-shirt.