1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

Holy crap — you didn't!? Nice one! :cheers: (Hang onto that stainless one, though; those seem to be on the ups lately. Ever thought about getting a black dial to swap in as an option for it?)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  2. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

The dial and case are beautiful, but I don't really care for that bracelet (although I know its sort of a larger version of their classic bracelet. I tried on one of their ultra thin piece in platinum a while ago and it was stunning and really well done. However, I'd need a huge discount to choose one of their watches in a precious metal, as they just do not hold their value. However, like everything, for the right price it could be a great addition to any collection.

+1

Sadly, much like Cartier, Bvlgari suffers from having an image of being a jeweler and having some people believe their watches are merely fashion brand pieces. However they build some very high quality, beautiful watches. Their more complicated pieces suffer from being in the same price range as brands that are perceived as being the best, and those other brand tend to have far better resale. Still, Bvlgari does make some really nice offerings, and for the right price a Bvlgari can be a really nice addition to any collection.

Very nice !!! If you added the ceramic to your collection congrats, its a beauty! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  3. forex

forex Well-Known Member

The ceramic Daytona looks awesome, I have yet to see it in person but it looks really good on pictures. But damn, it is going for $16-17K? What is the price tag on those, aren't they around $12K retail?

4. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Yep. Around $12k MSRP on the Daytona.

I'm on the list for a black dial. Maybe someday...

5. tigerpac

tigerpac Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kudos guys! So kinda an interesting story. I got on the list the morning they announced it.... even though I had finally pulled the trigger on a SS Daytona in late January (great timing eh?) I only bought a couple of watches from the place so I didn't think it would come in this year but here we are! I've been keeping the collection pretty tight (one in one out sort of thing) so I just couldn't keep two watches so close right now. I ended up letting a friend take it off my hands for list price PLUS giving me lending privileges on it. I'll probably add a ceramic one day but still trying to diversify the collection at this point. So that's the story on how I'm the only person this year to not make any money on a ceramic Daytona :)

3 people like this.
  6. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Tiger,

Can I ask a question? Why not sell the steel bezel and keep the ceramic?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  7. cchen

cchen Well-Known Member

Nice, what a good friend

1 person likes this.
  8. tigerpac

tigerpac Well-Known Member

Quote:I thought about it but I quite like the stainless bezel and figure I can get a new ceramic down the line if I ever feel the urge.

9. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Understood. Well, congrats to your friend!

1 person likes this.
  10. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

New addition. :)

[​IMG]

Cartier Pasha 38mm Chronograph with the lovely F. Piguet 1185 movement and platinum bezel.

The movement. Nicely decorated and finished (click for larger). Known as the Cartier Cal. 205, the F. Piguet 1185 is one of the great movements of our lifetime, featuring remarkably smooth actuation, an 55-hour power reserve, an incredibly thin profile, and high-end technical traits like a vertical clutch and a column-wheel. (text from Hodinkee) This movement is found in a number of other high-end watches, like the AP ROC, VC Overseas Chronograph, and Blancpain Villeret Chronograph.
    [​IMG]

I really love the way Cartier handles excess strap material with this deployant. Instead of leaving the material on top of the clasp, the design allows for the material to tuck under the 6 o'clock strap, leaving a clean profile when the watch is worn. As a result of this design, the strap can be adjusted in very small increments quite quickly, allowing for wrist expansion and contraction throughout the day.
    [​IMG]

11 people like this.
  11. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

tigerpac = friend of the year

(And nice Cartier, Mr. Moo).

2 people like this.
  12. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Excellent choice, both for the strap and the watch. That model is actually called the Pasha 950 (for its bezel...as I'm sure you know most jewelry grade platinum is 950 parts per thousand pure platinum or 95% pure ). They also made a time only diving version and a 2nd timezone GMT version. They made 500 of each version. These watches were made around 2004 - 2005. The Pasha was the watch that truly captured my eye and got me interested in Cartier, back when I was in college in the early 90's (I saw some wealthy international students wearing them). Back in 1985 when the Pasha's came out, at 38 mm it was considered a very large watch. It was larger than contemporary manual wind Daytona's of the day. Patek and AP had shifted the bulk of their production of Nautilus and ROs to 36mm, IWC had reduced the ING to 35mm, and generally the only watches that were larger than a 38 mm Pasha back then were Subs, GMT Masters, and Speedy Pros.

I'm a big fan of the Pasha 950 Chronograph. I picked mine up new back in 2005. I still have the original strap, but years ago I picked up a bracelet for it, as I've always liked the style and feel of their Pasha bracelet. My Pasha 950 Chrono says hi to yours!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  13. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Well-Known Member

Thanks earlier for the reply about servicing...wound up picking this up from DavidSW. The new(ish) revision of the 214270, now with 3/6/9 lume and longer hands! I'll take some better pictures tomorrow. It's not a mint 1016 but a good first Rolex for me.

[​IMG]

16 people like this.
  14. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Dino. Is yours the "Millennial" version with the blue indeces on the bezel? Seems there are a few versions of the watch - for instance my chrono seconds hand is different from yours. And there is also a version with 'Cartier Automatic on the dial instead of just 'Cartier'. In any case - I think it's an awesome watch in every respect. It was more expensive than the Daytona when it was introduced!

15. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

That's a superb pickup. Truly excellent watch, now pretty much back to its former brilliance with the slight adjustments made to it by Rolex this year.

1 person likes this.
  16. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

17. Dachshund

Dachshund Well-Known Member

Some mornings only a Speedy will do

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. Dachshund

19. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but I think that it is a sort of crown cover, or crown cap, rather than the crown itself.

You unscrew the cap/cover to get to the crown and, so you don't lose the cap, it's attached to the watch case by the little chain link.

1 person likes this.
  20. Dachshund

Wow - sounds like a PITA - that would certainly be a solution to a problem that isn't really a problem...!