1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

This is the real black bay - mens size!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  2. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Then you need a boy's one. Happy to take that off your little hands.

3 people like this.
  3. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

Lol . I don't understand the argument between 36mm vs 40mm . Ever since I was a child I always loved the idea of larger watches(Casio calculator watch).That was even during 90s; when men were used to 34mm dress watches. I guess what is big or small is up to its wearer. I do love your Rolex op. Would definitely consider it if they offer the dial option on the 39mm.

4. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I've nothing against fun big watches - I'm wearing a particularly silly one today; 45mm and a yard tall.  But it's not bigger than my wrist, and tomorrow at work I will be back to a dress watch with my suit - 35-36mm probably; at most 40mm if I want to feel like a hipster.  Horses for courses...

[​IMG]

It looks like a big lump, but I think it's just about OK with short sleeves and in proportion to the rest of me. The 36mm OP or 35mm Omega Geneve I think look pretty good under my shirt sleeve, too. That 41mm case looks too big for your wrist. Wraith's 36mm version looks great on him. I wouldn't be so bold as to speculate as to what that says about anyone's relative manliness.

(But for what it's worth, I really like the Black Bay, especially with the burgundy bezel.)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    2 people like this.
  5. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

^^ nice. I can't wear anything bigger than 42. Sold a FC classic index White dial on eBay. Also selling an Oris Aquis 43mm. May add a bronze diver to my collection. BB bronze is a beauty- but wears too large on my wrist.

6. Winot

Winot Well-Known Member

Wearing my (44mm) PAM 562 today. Really enjoying this one.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  7. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Helson do a 40mm Shark Diver but not in Bronze. They do in the 42mm, but it's still quite a lump. Archimede do a bronze 39mm pilot, and also a bronze 41.5mm diver. But perhaps neither are upmarket enough for your tastes. Oris made a "Carl Brashear" limited edition diver, 42mm. There seem to be plenty of used ones around.

8. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

^^ Oris did a great job on the bronze diver. It was just so expensive. On eBay only one available at $4k. I am not worried about upmarket status, rather started to appreciate the case finish and quality . Also going forward want to have a smaller watch rotation. Only some key pieces.

9. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Looks fantastic but I'm not seeing the value at the asking price.

10. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

There are a bunch on Chrono24 around $2.5k new.

11. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Well-Known Member

I am torn: moon or power.

I feel the lunar dial to be more balanced but also busier. I love OG's implementation of the date window and this grey/steel combination.

Lange is out of my price range and too formal for how I dress 99% of the time.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. DLJr

DLJr Well-Known Member

Moonphase is the better looking of the two, power reserve is the more useful. Can't go wrong either way IMO. PR maybe dresses down a bit better.

1 person likes this.
  13. IGotId

IGotId Well-Known Member

Moon is substantially thicker too IIRC

14. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Moon, it just looks better.

Btw that sueded grey croc strap is one of the nicest I've ever seen.

1 person likes this.
  15. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Well-Known Member

Looking to add one of the revised 214270s my collection--are there any issues with having a US AD take in a foreign-bought Rolex down the line, as long as it came from a European AD? I know Rolex USA/Intl can be prickly about customs, non-OEM stuff, etc.

16. Renault78law

Renault78law Well-Known Member

I agree with this, go moon!

17. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

My wrist is a hair under 7". I have watches 42 mm large, but am most comfortable wearing watches in the 37 mm - 40 mm range.

1 person likes this.
  18. tigerpac

tigerpac Well-Known Member

19. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Well-Known Member

Lange being out of your price range is one thing, but I think a Lange version of one of those would be dressed down based on the color.

I don't have much of a preference for one or the other sub register, but of those two I would say go Gangreserve for the simple fact that the alternative has "Moonphase" on the dial. While I perhaps should know this, I would think that the German word for "moonphase" would look much better. Such an underrated and beautiful language and then they go and put "moonphase" on the dial... And for the record I don't like power reserves on watches at all.

20. atia2

atia2 Well-Known Member

Any views on the JLC Reverso GT Shadow? I saw one in Paris at the weekend. The dial is a thing of beauty and cunning: at some angles the inner rectangle appears lighter than the outer; at others the reverse is true. (The watch seller described it as the "Double Reverso" for this reason.)

But the matt grey steel case made me reluctant. It looks so non-luxurious, faintly military, and frankly cheap. Am I missing a crucial piece of aesthetic logic here?

Example:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    1 person likes this.