1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any experiences here with the IWC Big Pilot or white gold watches? Really like the steel version, have the chance to kop a white gold version for a great price but don't have the chance to try it - so not sure of the pluses and minuses to it. Thanks!

2. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

As for white gold watches, you may want to check one of the IWC dedicated watch forums. My only issue with white gold watches, at least in the past was that many watch companies plate white gold with Rhodium (another precious metal) to make it look white (in its natural state its often sort of gray). So if you are tough on watches and you bang it against things, over time the rhodium chips off and the watch case often has to be replated which is expensive. Over the years many companies switched the composition of the white gold they use, in order to avoid having the rhodium plating issues, but not all brands have done so. I know Lange and JLC white gold watches do not get plated ...but I don't know if they watch you are considering is new, pre-owned (if so how old) and if and when IWC may have stopped plating their watches.

I'm not a big fan of modern IWCs so I haven't followed that brand too closely in recent years. However, that would be the main issue I would look into if I were considering the purchase of a WG IWC.

3 people like this.
  3. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

I'd generally hold off modern IWC for a while; I think prices are coming down: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-cut-more-than-200-swiss-jobs-amid-watch-woes

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. robw

robw Well-Known Member

No multi-million dollar collection for me but i happen to have this on today.

Sorry for the crappy phone pic.

[​IMG]

The Type XX may not be the classical Breguet but it has a quite a history nonetheless. I know that mine, gold with date, is probably the poseur model, but I like it a lot all the same.

5 people like this.
  5. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

Yeah, but tell us how you really feel!

Personally, and I say this as a yuge tourb fanboi, I find that often the dial gets distorted when they try and work around it, especially when adding numerous other complications. I find you end up with a wonderful piece of mechanics, but lacking in visual appeal when all is said and done, in many cases.

In this AP you get the classic clean RO design and a beautiful, centered, symmetrical tourbillon to ogle without changing or distorting any other properties of the watch dial. Nothing chintzy about it in my opinion.

I have teh jelly face.

1 person likes this.
  6. pmeis

pmeis Well-Known Member

I think this would be especially important with a watch the size of a Big Pilot, white gold seems like it just asking for trouble. Despite being pretty careful, I've seen how much my Panerai has gotten beaten up in comparison to my other more "normal" sized watches.

1 person likes this.
  7. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

Exactly as I feel now for my BB36, for the same reasons you feel for your superb Rolex--versatility, style, looks, size etc.

8. FlashmanH

FlashmanH Member

An independent in steel...

[​IMG]

12 people like this.
  9. MZhammer

MZhammer Well-Known Member

Wearing my baby today[​IMG]

16 people like this.
  10. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

11. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    :p

12. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Well-Known Member

PM me if you ever need a sitter!

1 person likes this.
  13. simondg

simondg Active Member

I'd generally hold off modern IWC for a while; I think prices are coming down: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-cut-more-than-200-swiss-jobs-amid-watch-woes[/quote]

It's going to be very interesting to see how the big watchmakers go about dealing with the new realities. One feels that they could either adapt successfully, or they could tank the whole thing; it's all in their hands now.

The article doesn't mention which positions are being cut, but if it is indeed watchmakers who are being let go, that's a bad sign. Those are some of the employees you'd last want to lose, not first.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  14. simondg

simondg Active Member

It's going to be very interesting to see how the big watchmakers go about dealing with the new realities. One feels that they could either adapt successfully, or they could tank the whole thing; it's all in their hands now.

The article doesn't mention which positions are being cut, but if it is indeed watchmakers who are being let go, that's a bad sign. Those are some of the employees you'd last want to lose, not first.

15. marvin100

marvin100 Well-Known Member

Awesome.

16. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

They are all poseur models, yours is just more! I love the Type XX, it's got a good movement, a distinctive design, and it's a proper sports watch even though you'd probably not use it as a diving beater. It's proper place is on the sun deck of a yacht, timing the coffee or cocktail service and not needing to leave you wrist when you hop on the jetski to the marina.

None of those things are diminished by yours being gold. It's fabulous, and I'm surprised they're not seen more often. If I ever get one, there will be a perverse delight in knowing a watch from a top tier maker with distinctive design and respectable history, is reasonably-priced yet not on the wrist of every estate agent and blowhard in the meeting room.

Thank you for sharing. Your watch actually made me smile.

17. crdb

crdb Well-Known Member

Not to detract from your evocative post, but its proper place is in a cockpit. Louis Breguet is one of the major figures of French aviation, including co-founding Air France and creating many important aircrafts. And the Type XX series are linked to him and that golden era of flight. Most of the XXs made for the French military went to the air force rather than the navy (2,000 vs 500 for the Aeronavale, a slightly different version if I recall well with magnetic protection).

Fans of the XXs should also look at a watch brand that still equips French pilots today, Dodane. If I were to buy a vintage chronograph it'd probably be a Type 21.

2 people like this.
  18. culverwood

culverwood Well-Known Member

I was reading CAR magazine and came across the Rotary Tradition GMT not a fine watch but fantastic value as an everyday hack.

19. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Well yes, like the proper place for a Speedmaster is on the moon, or the Daytona is on a racetrack, or a Fifty Fathoms is on a wet Frenchman. But I like my version better! Maybe we can agree on a yacht with a helipad?

I didn't know that about the Aeronavale, only that I prefer it for the absence of a day-counter. Now I have another reason to want one - thanks!

Edit: also thanks for the info on Dodane - a new one is too close in price to a used Breguet, but definitely keeping an eye out for a used bargain.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  20. Dachshund

Dachshund Well-Known Member

Very interesting - what is it please?