1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

Particularly in Russia, Vacheron Constantin is often chosen purely as a status symbol and wearing one doesn't necessarily imply any watch knowledge. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just how luxury goods work.

Likewise, one of my colleagues wears an ultra-slim Lange in rose gold. I asked him about it when we were out for drinks once, and although he knew it was a good watch, it was a gift from his brother and he didn't have much interest in it beyond that. It's tricky mentioning this stuff in real life, which is why I never do it unless I know the person already.

2. NonServiam

NonServiam Well-Known Member

Yeah, I see a lovely vintage Explorer every day at work (where I'm a hired consultant), on the wrist of a guy in management. I rarely speak to him about work stuff even, and I've yet to find myself next to him at lunch. Maybe it's his fathers old watch, maybe he just bought it on a whim, or maybe he's a commited watch geek just like myself :embar:

I'll have to bait him with my old Daytona I guess, he ought to bite if the latter :satisfied:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    12 people like this.
  3. Belligero

Likewise; one of the other office mates has a 1655 Explorer II. When I asked about it, he said he'd bought it sometime in the '70s, and wore it until it stopped running. After about a decade of it sitting in a drawer, he decided to take it in for a service, and was very pleasantly surprised to find out what he had. He's been wearing it daily for the past few years, and though he likes it just fine and is now aware of what he could sell it for if he wanted to, he's not particularly interested in watches.

And damn, is that Daytona ever nice. Thanks for the photo!

4. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

Welcome, Emospence...might I ask if that's the 38mm version? Looks good on your wrist.

Excellent "bait", NS.

5. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

First of all if you are reading this threat you aren't the average person, you probably have some interest in watches. My point although, not clear enough, was that average people won't notice or know what an AP, VC, PP, or BP are, so wearing one won't get you any special treatment.

I've worn watches from AP and VC and doing so, never resulted in special or preferential treatment. I never went to a restaurant and gave my name for a reservation, and had the maitre d glance at my wrist and then show my group to a table in special room for people wearing high end watches.

The whole idea in that article, that wearing a fine watch opens special doors or is like being part of a special club is nonsense!

1 person likes this.
  6. Keith T

I typically just announce myself to the maitre d' upon arrival as "THE" Keith T.

And then I order a Big Mac :D

4 people like this.
  7. Emospence

Emospence Well-Known Member

Thanks!

Nope, 35mm. 38mm I felt was too lug-prominent

8. Keith T

Ah. Good call :fonz:

9. Kappelan

Kappelan Well-Known Member

I remember days when there (in Russia, Ukraine) Franck Muller was on top, then Uysse Nardin made its way to be the best choice to show the status and only truly brave people could wear Rolex ))

But this is truth about lack of watch knowledge among people in Russia sporting PP or VC.

10. Kappelan

Yeah as well as regular Seiko or Citizen movements :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. kimmo

kimmo Well-Known Member

Breguet is also a hit there, maybe for more historical brand reasons.

12. BenLeaman

BenLeaman Well-Known Member

I saw your follow up comment, this is a 35mm Daytona? What reference is it? I am interested in hearing more about it and of course if you have more photos I implore you to share! TIA!

13. NonServiam

NonServiam Well-Known Member

Thank you my friend! There are plenty of old Rolexes out there just being used, and not gushed over on internet forums. The way it should be :slayer:

I think that was a comment on the Nomos, and not by me ;) My Daytona is a 1972 6263, measuring 37mm as they all are.

Here a picture with the old (and wrong) endlinks it came on when I bought it. The bracelet is from 1980-something, I might have to source a 1972 folded bracelet. Which will be even more rattly, hah. I gotta say I like modern bracelets better. But the watch itself is a wonder :satisfied:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    9 people like this.
  14. Kappelan

Yes, I think Breguet was the most famous watch in old Russia: Tsars, Pushkin, Tolstoy... Short, tragic story by Russian writer Alexander Kuprin calls Breguet.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  15. McWu

McWu Active Member

I kick myself for passing on a couple 6263s when they were "affordable". :(

16. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

After a few months of waffling between a newer 114060 and an older 16600, finally decided to increase the budget and spring for the watch I really wanted:
    [​IMG]

11 people like this.
  17. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Sometimes more is more.

Flawless kop.

1 person likes this.
  18. Belligero

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

source: http://watchesbysjx.com/2016/10/int...utilus-40th-anniversary-limited-editions.html

40th anniversary Nautilii are out, and they're already being called the Graveyard versions, though I'd say Tombstone is a bit more apropos.

Looks like they've finally ditched that embarrassing Arial on the chrono, though copying Rolex by using Eurostile doesn't really do them much credit.

Oh, and I wonder where they plagiarized that minute track numbering (plus some inept type distortion) from?

[​IMG]

Not their most impressive work, that's for sure.

2 people like this.
  19. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

It's always just a tiny bit uncomfortable when I like a watch and Belligero comes and kicks it to pieces. At least they tend to be things I was only thinking of buying one day - most of what I actually own is well beneath his bothering.

But that is a truly spectacular and instructive takedown. Those numbers! DAMN! It's almost laughable - unless you're the guy who just pre-ordered for six figures.

Get that white gold Pepsi Rolex instead, and a used platinum Datograph with the change.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    4 people like this.
  20. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

Given their use of platinum and those baguette diamonds in the markers - this will for sure be marketed as +$100K pieces.

I am unimpressed, @Belligero .

2 people like this.