1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. IGotId

IGotId Well-Known Member

I think that VC is feeling neglected! [​IMG]

2. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Me too, in isolation. But it's the special forces fantasy wankery that I find so irritating, just to mess up a perfectly good Rolex.

2 people like this.
  3. Dachshund

Dachshund Well-Known Member

I don't mind the concept of that special forces sub. If some nut wants to take a perfectly good watch and pimp it to a decent standard, and then sell it to some like-minded nut, then fine. So long as they're not actually misleading people and pretending it's anything that it isn't. Not for me, but harmless enough.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  4. Dachshund

Dachshund Well-Known Member

Spot on @Dino944 and
    @Keith T
    It's the perfect shade of rose gold. Just 'off yellow', but just enough. A real pink rather than red. Cheers

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  5. Kappelan

Kappelan Well-Known Member

6. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Clearly you have a preference toward sword shaped hands. I think they work well on many watches, be it Omegas, BPs, and some Cartiers. I even like them on a MilSub, but if I'm not getting a real MilSub, its just a bit meaningless to me. Even if Rolex made a watch honoring the 5517, and used many of its traits, it still it wouldn't be a watch that saw actual field use by any military group, the way a 5517 has. It would merely be a modern piece for collectors without true historic value. Nice, maybe, but still not the real deal. If someone wants to buy an aftermarket watch tarted up to look like a MilSub, they do no harm to me, and in the end I don't really care. At best I might think they have more money than brains, considering they can buy an authentic non-franken Rolex for a hell of a lot less money, than the modified Franken-Rolex-faux-MilSub.

To me, the aftermarket MilSub, is about the equivalent of someone buying a good suit, say an Isaia, but then sowing in a Kiton or Brioni label and buttons to make it into something that it really isn't. If you have a great item to start with, why do silly things that are not really an improvement over the original item? The simply answer I suppose, is because they can. So if it makes them happy, that's fine...its just not for me.

2 people like this.
  7. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Kap, I can't possibly condone that intervention.

But it reminds me of a Breguet minute repeater :)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. culverwood

culverwood Well-Known Member

While I can admire the craftsmanship of the Breguet and other such watches I do not see beauty in them. It seems to me a little beauty seeps away every time you add a sub-dial.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  9. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

So the Breguet looks like a Citizen, maybe.

10. culverwood

culverwood Well-Known Member

11. Kappelan

Kappelan Well-Known Member

No, my Citizen is much more elegant ))) [​IMG]
    I was thinking the same )) Jokes aside, I don't think they have much in common. And this is not the best shot of that beautiful Breguet ;)

1 person likes this.
  12. Winot

Winot Well-Known Member

Kicking tyres this lunchtime (excuse the crappy phone pics). Reinforced my desire for a Lange Annual Calendar for my 50th, or earlier if possible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  13. Omega Male

Omega Male Well-Known Member

Wempe or WoS? Absolutely love the Saxonia Annual. The white gold with the blued hands makes me go hnnnng.

14. pmeis

pmeis Well-Known Member

I have the first year version of this one (which has the sandwich dial). Love my hunk of titanium on the wrist.

15. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I pick the other one!

16. Winot

Winot Well-Known Member

The Patek store then WoS for the other two. I'm a bit embarrassed about how many times I go in there.

2 people like this.
  17. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I love Lange in general and I have a guilty lust for certain Panerais. And I do think Patek have rather lost their way in some respects.

Despite all that, this particular Calatrava is the winner of the three: I don't know why I can't love the Saxonia Annual - maybe it feels like it was made to plug a gap between the Saxonia and the Langematik Perpetual (unloved, but I love it)? And I'm such an embarrassing Lange fanboi. And I like the phat Luminor as a guilty pleasure but it belongs elsewhere - and even in that elsewhere I think the 1940 Rads are the pick.

But, as someone once said: "good luck with whatever you decide".

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  18. Winot

Winot Well-Known Member

I'm definitely going to get the Luminor next time I pass through LHR and sell my Radiomir. The Radiomir isn't getting much wrist time as it's a bit caught in the middle between dressy and casual.

The Lange is a long-term prospect. Far too expensive for me right now. I like it far more than the Perpetual which is too busy for my taste. I like clean symmetrical dials and the Lange is the most successful of that complication that I've seen.

The Patek is lovely - when I was looking for a gold dress watch I tried on a few vintage/pre-owned Calatravas but couldn't find anything that hit the spot. No idea why I didn't try the 5196 - it would have done so. But not sure whether I would have gone for it over the Saxonia Thin, which was a touch cheaper. Don't know.

1 person likes this.
  19. Omega Male

Omega Male Well-Known Member

Feel the same way about William & Son. On passing, I am compelled to pop in and play with the Laurent Ferriers. Think by now they must sense the hook is set ...

20. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Different strokes, eh? I do like the Luminor in its own right as a casual beast - and that simple dial is a win.

As for over-visiting watch shops...yeah I think I'm over quota too!