• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can understand the strong feelings about a watch, but I never understand the snap judgement/writing someone off because of what they choose to wear/don't wear, own/don't own. It's just personal style.

Watches like that do serve a valuable purpose: I immediately know that I will not get along with its wearer.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everything that is wrong with modern watches, or genuine originality?

It is ridiculous, but I kind of want to play with it.

It really reminds me of a special edition Casio G-Shock - the colour, the shape of the case, the large screws/hex nuts.

Now, G-Shocks are great watches. My ten-year-old son has one and if you're hiking, swimming or riding a bike, they're (quite literally) hard to beat. But I wouldn't pay $19 000 for one, or for a watch that looked like one.

Last edited:

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can understand the strong feelings about a watch, but I never understand the snap judgement/writing someone off because of what they choose to wear/don't wear, own/don't own. It's just personal style.

I agree... Unless it's a hublot.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I'd never buy one but I'd still want to hold one in the metal. Mostly because I've never seen one.

Yes, that's pretty much how I feel about it. But it's also how I feel to a point about Urwerk, or Greubel Forsey.

Serious question: what size is that .... uh, thing?

It's a Linde Werdelin "Oktopus Moon Carbon". Apparently it's also a child molester and a terrorist.
lol8[1].gif

Last edited:

ebayhtl

Reaction score
Thought I'd share a couple of beauties from Montblanc - from their Nicolas Rieussec collection and both limited edition (one is limited to 100 pieces and the other to 565 pieces). Don't know a lot about them - I know Montblanc has put a lot of money into watches and backed by Richemont, but still a new-ish brand in the watch world regardless. Happy to hear any thoughts.

Thinking of using one of these as a watch to complement suits at work, and then selling the IWC Da Vinci chrono ceramic...

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I would genuinely rather own the "Oktopus".

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
biggrin.gif

Not going to happen. But I am awaiting news on something else. It is about as far from the Oktopus, or Montblanc's Chronoswiss tribute collection above, as it is possible to get. It's also cheaper.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know it sounds snobbish, but I'll always stick to real watch brands - not guys who decide their luxury lifestyle brand could use a watch offering.

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two nice offerings on Hodinkee today. I thought about pulling the trigger on one, but I struggle with YG.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would you choose to by from a watch blog rather than a real vintage dealer?

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1. Prices posted
2. Ease of transaction

For vintage, I'd be considering how much the seller knows. Their screw up on the speedmaster made them look like incompetent opportunists to me.

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For vintage, I'd be considering how much the seller knows. Their screw up on the speedmaster made them look like incompetent opportunists to me.

I don't agree with the collective wisdom of Reddit.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads