1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Nikolaus

Nikolaus Well-Known Member

I agree that a fashion accessory for 10-15K$/€ must be special.
    For quality; I think I would suggest Omega.

2. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Time to read the whole of TWAT1 perhaps? If not, take a look at DL's Best Dress Watches Under $5000 for inspiration. We never did get around to the best sports watches under $5000.
    But the answer is a used Rolex Submariner*. Probably. [​IMG]

*(My incoming is not a Rolex Submariner, incidentally. Sigh. And I love that my TWAT Bros can thumb my "incoming" announcement with good humour after my consistent form for underwhelming acquisitions. You guys are great!)

1 person likes this.
  3. DLJr

DLJr Well-Known Member

Those lists would be a lot more interesting without the New and MSRP limitations.

But as everyone has said, try them on and see what you like. If you are open without the bias of brand right now, trying on and seeing what you like can be really eye opening. You may find you like some $5K watches far more than $10K watches. It's amazing what happens when you try things on side by side without a preexisting bias.

3 people like this.
  4. rnguy001

rnguy001 Well-Known Member

@mimo - yeah yeah yeah. Where is it already?! :)

5. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Sitting in London with my beloved...should get it in about four weeks!

6. atia2

atia2 Well-Known Member

Wrong link? Those aren't watch bracelets.

7. roomiller

roomiller Well-Known Member

I think he wants to get a bracelet to wear alongside his watch, which *shudders*. That is a trend that I simply do not understand.

1 person likes this.
  8. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

As wrong as that link was, paradoxically it was also the intended one.

And it's clearly :spam:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Well-Known Member

It's up there with square toed shoes, as in something that seems so obviously horrific yet a shocking number of men wear.

10. firenze_rob

firenze_rob Well-Known Member

Cripes. Now I want one.

11. Renault78law

Renault78law Well-Known Member

I've posted about this 5500 that I inherited a while back that needed some repair and service. It's now looking and running great. I've been giving a lot of thought to its wearability given that it's on the small side and it's intended to be a sports watch. The solution that I'm testing is to dress it up a little -- so I went with this brown round-scaled crocodile strap. I like it but I'm not convinced that this is the optimal solution and am now considering a brown non-distressed leather strap. I'd be happy to hear your thoughts.

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  12. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

Judging by that photo, I think it looks great.

13. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

I'd not change a thing

1 person likes this.
  14. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Looks great to me. Personally, with that case shape and dial I don't really consider it a sports watch. To me, its sort of a versatile wear it for anything watch, which is bit more on the business casual/to dress side of the aisle than in the sports watch category. Enjoy it. [​IMG]

15. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

Nice combo. Rock on.

16. haTTer

haTTer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

California Pam 249 today

6 people like this.
  17. concealed

concealed Well-Known Member

new addition to my collection

Tudor Black Bay Black, great shape, paid $2k flat

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    4 people like this.
  18. rirakuma

rirakuma Well-Known Member

Wish I could pull off 47mm pams because that would be on top of my list. For now I have the 190 on my wish list.

19. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Well-Known Member

I'll echo the sentiment that the strap you have is a great option, especially if it's a matte alligator. Even if it's not it will break in over time. I think the alligator is a better option than a non-distressed leather strap as well assuming the leather was going to be rather plain.

Congratulations. Very good price considering it's the black. I was looking at Black Bays about 2-3 weeks ago and while I wasn't shopping for a black it was definitely trending higher than the burgundy and the blue. Now just put a distressed leather strap on it. [​IMG]

20. haTTer

haTTer Well-Known Member

mt 16700 GMT

[​IMG]

"Introduced circa 1988, the ref. 16700 replaced the ref. 16750 in the Rolex catalog while remaining less expensive than it’s more evolved sibling, the GMT-II. Featuring the updated cal. 3175 (which functioned identically to the previous cal. 3075), the 16700 was sold until the remarkably late date of 1999, although overall production seems relatively small in comparison to the more advanced & functional 16710 GMT-II. Also, it appears that the 16700 was only offered with the Pepsi bezel insert to distinguish it from the GMT-II (though it’s certain changes to the insert could be made on customer request)."

3 people like this.