1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Walking Dead (AMC)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by willy cheesesteak, Jul 25, 2010.

1. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

Crazy black guy?? I need to re watch

2. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    I really like that actor (he was great on Jericho), and it's great he's coming back, but this is why I hate TV previews. I'm watching the show. The whole point is that I'm going to discover the plot as it goes along. Why in the world did AMC have to self spoiler?

The worst part is that, since i don't watch previews, I could have gone on blissfully unaware were it not for the fact that everyone is talking about it today.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  3. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

I feel you, G. I turn it off when the previews come on and it wasn't until Jamie messaged me this morning asking who the black guy at the end was. Had to download it to see what she was talking about. Glad I did. It was a neat scene.

4. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

Totally agree. That is such a great show.

5. Neo_Version 7

Interesting little tidbit from last night's episode for those not in the know:

[​IMG]

6. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Somewhat spoilery for the obtuse.

So the entire season last year is devoted to driving the group and viewers to Terminus with promise of sanctuary for them and death or splitting the group permanently for us (could you imagine if Carol decided to stay?), but it's all resolved in about 15 minutes with some bullshit gunfire and the most ridiculous action interruptous I've ever seen - okay let's bash this guy's head in ... wait ... was that a sound? Better hold off on the slaughter and just turn on our backs on the guys we're about to butcher. What? No chance these guys can get out of their bonds.

Oh, and surprise! Soylent Green is people and the termites are psychotic nutcases that used to be like you and me. We know this not because of decent writing through action but because Tasha Yar monologues for about a minute.

Holy fuck.

lefty

1 person likes this.
  7. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

Thank you, Lefty!!! With all the gushing I've read, I thought I was the only one who wasn't completely blown away by the episode. All that time heading to Terminus for what we got last night? Weak.

It wasn't bad, or unenjoyable, but it surprises me that people were so impressed.

I'm looking forward to the scene, but I'd rather just wait until we get there.

Terribly underrated. MrsG and I loved it, and it's really a shame that it didn't last longer than it did.

8. Neo_Version 7

It's actually part of the episode, tagged at the very end. First time they've done it so it was definitely a surprise.

9. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

Really? :fu:

Edit: Wait. I just checked, and it's still on the DVR! :slayer:

1 person likes this.
  10. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Well I'm glad they did not make another season of terminus.

11. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want to see another season on the farm, but this could have been explored for a few episodes at least to provide a decent explanation of why they dine on long pig. It's silly that they kill everyone who walks up.

"The Lottery" might have been an interesting approach to life at Terminus.

lefty

2 people like this.
  12. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Pretty obvious Terminus' past and how it became the way it is is going to be explored in future flashbacks, probably as that squirrely leader makes a re-appearance.

Friggin great episode. I know people rag on it for continuity errors all the time, but IMO it is and always has been a kick ass show.

13. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Why? The place is effectively destroyed and the heros are beelining it out of there. The hipster may show up again, but who gives a shit?

I rewatched a couple of last season's episodes including the one where the MC gang had Rick, Michone and Carl on their knees with guns drawn on them and - hey now! - they manage to overwhelm the bad guys and escape. Cut to Teriminus where the they're now tied up and on their knees with weapons on them and - hey now! - they manage to overwhelm the bad guys and escape.

That entire slaughter scene was so fucking ridiculous. You knock your meat out with gas, but instead of butchering it right then and there you go through the trouble of tying it up, gagging it and having a little patronising conversation with it.

If Terminus was a place they stumbled upon and upon discovering it's dark secret they blew some shit up real good and escaped then I could forgive a lot of stuff.

Anyone else want to kick Gimple in the vagina?

lefty

1 person likes this.
  14. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Overall, thought it was a pretty strong episode. The major problem was that it should have been last year's season finale, rather than this year's opening. That would have alleviated some of the "we waiting all S4 for Terminus, and it was resolved in one episode of S5!" frustration. The show obviously has issues with pacing - big opening and closing eps, but tends to get bogged down mid-season.

Agree with lefty re: the interruptions during the bat scene. Also, there was a scene with a walker eating the face of a guy on the ground that had some of the worst blood special effects I've seen in a while. And I'm not sure how Carol got all cleaned up between her rampage, and the reunion with the team in the woods - she had smeared zombie guts all over her face, but was nice and freshened up when she met everyone. There also didn't seem to be a lot of aiming going on with that bottle rocket. Ah well. Nice to see Morgan again.

15. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Really fun episode.

16. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

The throat slashing scene was brutal. We had a group of friends over to watch it at 1 AM and that shit caught me off guard.

my instant reaction was a very loud, "AWWW FUCKKKKKKKKK"

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  17. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Spoilery, but at this point what does it matter.

Can someone explain the history of Terminus to me?

It a lovely place that welcomes newcomers. Hooray!
    Then it is taken over by some bad guys who keep all the good folk in rail cars, occasionally rape the women and may or may not open up a meat shop. Boo!
    Then it's retaken by the good guys who they either continue the butchery or start it. Wait what?

Forgetting that bad guys for a moment, why would the good termites resort to long pig? Have animals all died recently? In The Road they resorted to whatever meat they could find, but that was because everything else perished.

And exactly how many Z's are walking around the woods all willy-nilly until they're needed to advance a plot point and show up en masse at an inconvenient time?

lefty

18. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Why all the questions about background of Terminus when two posts ago you said they are all dead who gives a shit?

3 people like this.
  19. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Well-Known Member

Previously on The Whiny Thread

2 people like this.
  20. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Can you be more specific?