1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Uniqlo Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by weirdnjfan1, Nov 21, 2006.

Tags:
  1. skitlets

skitlets Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    2 people like this.
  2. Severisth

Severisth Well-Known Member

3. hayaoyamaneko

hayaoyamaneko Well-Known Member

digging lifewear fw16

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. skitlets

skitlets Well-Known Member

They run about TTS. Unlike the Qlomaire pants, which ran really slim.

I'm a smedium, 31 waist, and the medium is loose enough that I have to use the drawstring.

5. Bryce C

Bryce C New Member

Any idea when this line will be dropping? Really liking the drape on outfit #2.

6. Phrost

Phrost Well-Known Member

I ended up buying the bomber in navy. It fits me pretty well and has some nice details (shoulder darts for instance).

It's slightly cropped and hits about 4 inches past my hip bone. Wearing a regular length t-shirt, I see about 1.5 inches of shirt wearing the jacket.

The jacket has a light poly filling in the body and sleeves that gives it a little weight. It actually feels pretty cozy worn. I think it will be comfortable for the fall and early winter in NYC. I like that it has some shape to it - the filling gives it a slight puffiness/roundness that I look for in bomber jackets.

It's definitely an upgrade from the previous Uniqlo bomber jackets - they when very thin and had no filling and were strictly spring/summer jackets.

My main gripe with the jacket is the fabric. It's a thin, slippery nylon that seems a little delicate. It actually reminds me of the thin nylon North Face uses on it's bubble goose jackets. The inner chest pocket feels delicate, since it's made from the same thin fabric as the jacket outer. I don't think it's meant to hold anything substantial. Also, I wish the hip pockets had snaps.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the jacket. Uniqlo's offerings have been boring lately, but sometimes they come out with worthwhile outerwear. For $49.99, I think it's a pretty good buy. I have a feeling they'll sell out of this before the fall/winter season actually comes around.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    2 people like this.
  7. JilSlander

JilSlander Well-Known Member

^ Agreed with @Phrost

I checked out the jacket today and it's pretty decent for $50. The fit is indeed a bit puffy and the cropped length is pretty spot-on.

I'd recommend sizing up.

8. mrballs

mrballs Well-Known Member

Really digging the Uniqlo x Theory button-down polo shirt. Fits awesomely slim and length is just right, hits about 1.5inch below the belt loops.

Not too impressed with the rest of the collection though.

9. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

Haven't been over to this thread in quite some time but man there's some hate going on, huh? I'm not a fan of uniqlo but I don't hate it.

Anyway, two things im always looking for - long sleeve button downs & decent denim. Uniqlo isn't my style - the million colors of the same single style thing doesn't work for me so I'll generally wait until I can get something for 9.90 or less. Picked up 2 ocbds XS, regular fit. Not bad, they breathe really badly but they fit ok. Picked up a couple of the lighter cotton ones, XS - these were a lot better. Recently got a linen long-sleeve button down (also XS) and was very happy with this one.

Most recently I picked up two pairs of selvedge denim - black skinny 28x34 & blue slim straight 28x34 (5.90 & 9.90). Very happy with both of these.

For shirts, I usually find that even for XS I always have the huge monkey arms thing going on. The only shirts I can wear in S are express MX extra slim, and those shirts are literally the shit (a forum member once said if you dropped one on the floor it would shatter - that was spot on). On top of that, A&F super skinny (my go-to for 28x30) recently shit the bed and went over to vanity sizes. So bottom line, im happy to have uniqlo as an alternative.

10. flowcharts

flowcharts Well-Known Member

You don't find the xs shirting to be oversized? The last one i bought had 17" shoulders and a 20" chest, and that was in "slim stretch" cotton.

11. Meis

Meis Well-Known Member

I haven't bought any from this most recent set, but online it does look like the measurements are larger than they previously were for at least some models. That said, the shirts had gotten smaller recently (the flannels I have from last winter in small fit like my old XS shirts). There are a couple cool batik print shirts up on the site, though I don't think there's much stock left.

Also, as far as people saying stuff has gotten worse (honestly that goes for most brands, it's always "it's not what it used to be") - as long as I've been on here people have been saying that - I feel that in reality each item changes season to season so maybe this fall the oxfords get better and efm sweaters are worse and the next season vice versa...

12. JilSlander

My girl loves the women's MA-1 this season. Really thick fabric, nice flap pockets, and darker colors. Only downside was a lack of interior pockets.

Why couldn't they use this same fabric for the men's MA-1?

[​IMG]

13. Phrost

Phrost Well-Known Member

I saw the jacket online too. It looks great from the pictures.

I usually prefer welt pockets on these jackets, but the flap pockets look pretty good. I wish the men's version had snaps as well.

Curious, what's the difference in fabric between the men's and women's version?

14. JilSlander

The women's MA-1 material feels like more traditional heavy nylon used on bombers (e.g. Alpha Industries, Falcon Garments, etc.).

I did a comparison in-store and the women's is much better. The men's actually feels and looks much inferior.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  15. Phrost

Phrost Well-Known Member

I just checked it out in person on my lunch break, and it's definitely better than the men's version.

The fabric reminds me of the thicker, dense nylon used on Alpha bombers. Even the ribbing on the women's version is thicker and more substantial.

The women's version is cut rounder and more dimensional. For instance, the jacket sleeves are curved, just like traditional MA-1's.

Even the navy and olive colors on the women's version are better. The navy is brighter and truer to the blue used on traditional bombers.

I agree that the jacket could use an interior pocket. Since the women's version uses a heavier nylon shell, I think it would be able to securely support an inner pocket.

I do kind of miss the pen pocket on the arm though.

l liked it so much that I ended getting the women's version in large :embar:

The sleeves and shoulder fit perfect, but the body is definitely shorter than the men's version, especially in the back. The body is cut wider too. It's apparent in the looser waistband.

Now I have both the men's and women's version. I'm debating on which one to keep...

16. JilSlander

^ Fit pics of both to determine

17. Phrost

Phrost Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. JilSlander

^ 2nd looks much better.

I have 18" shoulders and 22" chest, so none of the women's sizes would work for me. Shame, I would've copped all 3 colors.

19. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

2nd looks more like a traditional poofy MA-1 cut. I prefer jacket #1.

20. Phrost

Phrost Well-Known Member

That's odd, since I have similar shoulder and chest measurements as you. The 2nd picture is the women's version in a Large.

While the XL solved some of the length issues I have with the jacket, it was too big in the body. The L is already a little roomy in the body, but nothing too crazy.

It adds to the roundness and poofy-ness of the jacket. The 1st jacket is a bit more comfortable though, since it's more snug and the fabric is thinner and lighter.

I really don't understand why there's such a big difference between the men's and women's version of the jacket.

It's understandable to cut the jacket differently for men and women, but to completely change the fabric and trimming is another thing.

I'm thinking they have different designers for the men's and women's lines. The women's line always seems to get more interesting outerwear, like fishtail parkas and other military inspired pieces that the men rarely get.