1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Uniqlo Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by weirdnjfan1, Nov 21, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Classified_

Classified_ Well-Known Member

In Uniqlo's case, altering the clothes may end up costing more than the actual price of the items.

2. CityMap

CityMap Well-Known Member

Right now most of my polos are either Ralph Lauren, Lacoste, and two Abercrombies (plain with a moose logo).

How are the quality of Uniqlo polos like these? http://www.uniqlo.com/us/men/featured/michael-bastian.html
    I haven't bought any of their polos before.
    I live in Japan so they are even cheaper. currently about $12 each
    If the quality is good enough, I might just end up selling the Lacoste and Abercrombie (they command a high price here), and get cheaper but just as nice ones.

3. shadykay sf

shadykay sf Well-Known Member

So?

Buying cheap and altering so that it fits immaculately is worth it.

Also, ordered from Uniqlo online yesterday morning, checked tracking and it is getting delivered to me today.

=o

4. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Which $100 ranged shirts are you referring to?

For $100 (Kamakura) or even $50 (Brooks Brothers), I find them to be much, much better than Uniqlo's $30 shirts. Jcrew is pretty nice also, and you can find shirts in its ever-seemingly perpetual 40% sales that offer comparable quality for $30 to $40 a pop.

In my opinion, Uniqlo is great for $30 dollars though.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  5. Timbaland

Timbaland Well-Known Member

I was comparing it to stuff like J Crew, Club Monaco, other mall brands in the range. I even had a GBV OCBD that I wasn't that impressed with. It was nicer than the Uniqlo but not enough to justify the price tag.

Haven't tried Kamakura and didn't even think about looking at Brooks Brothers. Their ESF shirts aren't that slim comparably and I figured their OCBDs wouldn't be any different.

6. Don L

Don L Well-Known Member

Whats the fit like on the Slim Fit Stretch Selvedge like these days?

7. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

Accurate? Very TTS? I got a pair a couple weeks ago and I'm quite pleased with them. Slim legs but not skinny skinny.. a little bit of extra length for a slight stack. It's Uniqlo quality of course, but I think I picked mine up for $30 or something so what the hell.

1 person likes this.
  8. Don L

Don L Well-Known Member

^^ Thanks. Just what I wanted to hear ^^

1 person likes this.
  9. Classified_

Their jeans fit tight on my thighs and very loose on my calves, if I size up in the jeans then they are very loose on the thighs and waist. Their OCBDs in S were very small on me, and in M, very large and loose. They have very weird sizing I might add, and I don't want up altering everything. I might take another trip this weekend to see if some other stuff fit better.

10. Takster

Takster Active Member

The Uniqlo x Michael Bastian polo shirts are an excellent value for the money.

These shirts run slim compared to Uniqlo's standard polos, and these shrink in the wash. I wear a medium in Uniqlo's button-down shirts, but I find I need to size up for these polo shirts.

11. hmtwrk

hmtwrk Well-Known Member

uniqlo's sizing is all over the place. if you're referring to the skinny tapered jeans, some colors fit different than others but i go tts and have my tailor taper them to a 15cm leg opening for an slp-ish cut. all in all, it costs me less than $50 and they are pretty much the only jeans i wear nowadays.

the ocdbs are kind of a crapshoot. they have the regular, slim fit, slim fit with the gosgraine and they all fit a little different. i kinda stopped buying them cos the cut seems to change every year for the worse.

other than that, the airism underwear is the greatest of all time, and i pretty much won't wear anything else, lol.

12. redc2

redc2 Well-Known Member

What about their socks? Are they great value for something like $4 a pair?

13. stafa

stafa Well-Known Member

i like the tencel boxer briefs more

14. hmtwrk

hmtwrk Well-Known Member

what are you really expecting out of $4 socks lol. if you wear them more than a season it's a "great value". the thick winter ones have lasted me about a year but the cotton ones fall apart really quickly. right now they have 4 pairs for $10 or something like that.

i like the no-show socks, they are "rubberized" at the heel so they don't slip, pretty handy.

15. hmtwrk

hmtwrk Well-Known Member

never seen them, link?

picked up the new dry-fit joggers. 75% poly so the material feels kinda tech, kinda like a thin neoprene. for $35 i think it's one of the better made pieces that they carry right now.

16. Classified_

Does Uniqlo have a T that's lower on the neck opening? Or is the neck opening loose on the regular Supima crew? The models in the website are wearing them quite tight so it's hard to tell.

Also, how are the Chino shorts? Worth a shot in terms of fit and quality?

Thanks

17. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

Don't know about the shorts, but the supima crews are just regular neck tees. It's not drapey or loose or anything… as close to a normal t-shirt as you would expect.

18. momentoftruth

momentoftruth Well-Known Member

chino shorts are decent quality but the inseam is quite long IIRC (10"?)

19. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

I'd go with these guys for tees over Uniqlo if you want something with a looser neck: http://www.grana.com/men/peruvian-pima-cotton/scoop-neck.html

Also made with pima cotton (supima is just pima that's sourced from the US, not necessarily indicative of quality), looser in the neck but not crazy slutty. Size up 1 unless you want a tight fit.

2 people like this.
  20. Meis

Meis Well-Known Member

The grana tees are great (and they seem to hold up well through wash & dry), wish they'd get around to restocking them. I don't know about sizing up though, I went TTS (same size as uniqlo supima tres) and don't find them to fit tight.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015