1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Uniqlo Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by weirdnjfan1, Nov 21, 2006.

Tags:
  1. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Well-Known Member

Anyone felt this year's Chesterfield? Any thoughts on price relative to quality?

2. EdwardB

EdwardB Well-Known Member

I actually went and tried it on last week. Cut was weird (though this might just be my body) and all of their wool blend outerwear looks and feels awful. They really drop the ball on more expensive stuff, I feel. I guess it's alright for a beater coat, but really unremarkable.

3. lineate

lineate Well-Known Member

They are awful. I have a black wool/cashmere chesterfield from about 2 years ago that is absolutely wonderful. I think it cost all of £100. I went to try and get a camel coloured one of the new season and they are scratchy, rough and generally cheap feeling.

It's a shame to see how far Uniqlo has fallen in that time.

4. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Well-Known Member

uniqlo outerwear was great VFM until a couple of years ago (and i'm not even talking about +J). the premium denim was excellent for what it was too.
    now there's nothing there i want apart from OCBDs and boxers. i mean the latest jeans drop they are touting is 'wind-proof denim' :fu:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  5. jet

jet Well-Known Member

hopefully their business drops to the point where the stupid ceo realizes nobody wants these garbage blends

6. Exordium01

Exordium01 Active Member

I took advantage of the free shipping to order a corduroy shirt and one of their synthetic undershirts. I'm looking for a good undershirt, and uniqlo stuff tends to fit shorter people pretty well.

7. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Well-Known Member

What's the feeling on the Ultralight down? Part of me just thinks it's worth spending more for Patagonia or other "true" tech outerwear brands but $70 for the hoody is tempting...

8. J BAILEY

J BAILEY Well-Known Member

Can anyone confirm that the size charts on the site are relatively accurate? Particularly wondering if a size S blazer would fit a 38" chest / 25" sleeve length.

9. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Well-Known Member

oh yeah, I forgot the down. that's good, but I've only worn it in the UK and Italy where it doesn't get particularly cold. Although i think someone from Canada (Brad?) said he went through winter with ULD under a heavy wool coat and was ok.

10. 1up

1up Well-Known Member

I ordered a ULD and I expect it to come in next week. I'm in Vancouver so it's pretty moderate compared to the rest of Canada, I anticipate a sweater + that should be sufficient.

I'll update once I get some use out of it.

11. superego

superego Well-Known Member

I think it depends on how you'll be using it...it isn't a heavyweight down jacket, so won't likely stand up to sub-freezing temps.

that said, wore my vest out on saturday and was comfortable with it and a heavyweight hoody down into the upper 40s

12. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Well-Known Member

Thanks. Was more interested in overall fit, quality, etc. I assume it's typical of Uniqlo but some pieces, as have been noted, represent better than average value for the price.

13. skitlets

skitlets Well-Known Member

Seconded on the wool blend outerwear feeling rough and cheap.

38" chest is probably a small in the blazers. I'm a 36 and wear XS.

14. skitlets

skitlets Well-Known Member

What are you doing down in OC?

15. J BAILEY

J BAILEY Well-Known Member

thanks!

16. ConcreteFiction

ConcreteFiction Well-Known Member

I think it's much better than average value. I have no idea how it holds up in the long run, but I used the UL jacket as both a layering and outer piece (depending on weather) hiking inIceland last month and it was great. I was wary of the waterproof coating abilities at the price point, but it shed light precip really well, and the construction seems pretty close, if not on par, to the Patagonia-level tech brand ultralights. Also to note, I have not owned, but have handled the Patagonia UL sweater iterations and even with an outlet being near me and I could get one for half off, but I got the Uniqlo one for $40 and it was well worth it. If I did it again I'd by Uniqlo at full retail.

17. jet

jet Well-Known Member

smoking cigars and drinking dirty martinis bruh

uld is good, no reason to spend more on patagonia

1 person likes this.
  18. transient

transient Well-Known Member

Wanted to like UL and its probably perfectly functional but the cut isn't doing it for me; very wide armholes and overall blocky shape

1 person likes this.
  19. xxxamazexxx

xxxamazexxx Well-Known Member

How are the cashmere sweaters of this year? Do you think they're worth $80/$100?

Also, I have noticed that Uniqlo did away with all the colors for the slim-fit chino pants. Is it just a seasonal thing?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  20. ConcreteFiction

ConcreteFiction Well-Known Member

The one I have is from last year's slim UL line (and I'm nowhere near as skinny as some guys on this forum), but for me the fit is really good.