1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Uniqlo Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by weirdnjfan1, Nov 21, 2006.

Tags:
  1. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Well-Known Member

Not the most flattering cut either.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  2. chiamdream

chiamdream Well-Known Member

Sorry to ask another OCBD question but I've been through most of this thread and can't figure this out.

I'm 6'1", 190 lbs. I just returned an order of medium slim oxfords - although the size chart suggested they had similar measurements to other oxfords I have (J.Crew medium, Brooks Brothers extra-slim fit 16x35), these were just way too tight. I could button them but not move. I realize now that the lack of box pleat had a lot to do with this.

Regular-fit oxfords have since restocked - so, should I go with mediums or larges? The 22.8" body width for a medium *should* be plenty (and the 24.4" for a large seems like it should be way too much).

3. trig

trig Well-Known Member

just go to the large slim fit. i'm sure you'll prefer the waist suppression of the slim fit compared to the regular billowed out ocbd

1 person likes this.
  4. Timbaland

Timbaland Well-Known Member

There are other factors besides the box pleat into how slim fit a shirt is, mainly how high or low the arm holes are. Both J Crew and BB have low arm holes.

5. baxter0

baxter0 Well-Known Member

Why are the oxfords so damn tight in the forearms? Went from a slim fit large to a regular and there is no difference in the sleeve. About to give up.

6. dunelly

dunelly Well-Known Member

linen collection

how are the jeans/shirts/blazers?
    Need summer wear

7. .Impulsv

.Impulsv Well-Known Member

I'd be disappointed. Their regular fit MIJs are my go-to jean.

8. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Measurements on oxfords are wrong apparently you didn't go through the thread.

9. nycxandy

nycxandy Well-Known Member

Stopped by the new West Nyack store. They had tons of MIJ denim. $39.90 grand opening promo until 3/24.

Edit: They may be the regular non-selvedge ones. Looks like the MIJ Regular Fits are $9.90, according to their website. Won't be able to go again anytime soon since I was passing by on my way to NYC.

10. K2793

K2793 Well-Known Member

Wow what a steal, been meaning to try their raws. Proxy a pair? [​IMG]

11. afixedpoint

afixedpoint Well-Known Member

The new slim fit chinos are not quite as nice as the old iteration, fabric feels a little cheaper...

Did pick up a few sweaters from returns as well, good buys

12. Snoopy

Snoopy Well-Known Member

Anyone care to comment on the quality of the sweatshirts? Warm? Crappy etc?

13. afixedpoint

I like mine a lot, warm and construction is solid

14. singh02

singh02 Well-Known Member

Went to the SF store and bought a few things. Roundup:

Great:
    1. Dri light weight blazer (M)- Great piece for spring and mild summers. Unstructured. No lining. Sleeves fit perfectly. Great slim fit even for thinner guys. Very lightweight, felt more breezy than even the linen blazers and thus went with this one.
    2. Linen cotton blend blouson (M)- Again as mentioned it's unlined. More of a shirt jacket. Maybe a bit more expensive than it should be at $50 but still bought it cause it's a a decent slim fit (for linen).
    3. "Ervell" shawl collar cardigan (M) - It was on sale so not much stock left. May be the the best piece I bought. Up there with the EFM knits that uniqlo makes.
    4. The slim fit oxfords (M) - funny enough not much difference between the regular fit and slim fit oxfords in terms of the chest and shoulder measurements.
    5. Linen shirts (M) - they're long and probably wouldn't work for shorter guys, but work for my height. Their surprising slim fit (for linen) and am very happy with the navy.

Decent:
    1.The cricket sweater (M)- a bit of a looser knit and fit a bit boxy for my body shape.
    2. Dri fit Tshirt (M)- Wish it was a deeper V. Fairly thin material most obvious on the white Ts but they fit me the best. The premium cotton Ts are much slimmer (especially in the arms) while these are more of a regular fit.
    3. Linen blend shawl collar cardigans - Didn't try them on. The red didn't look as rich in real life. And the "ervell" ones felt nicer.

Pass:
    1. The lightweight denim jeans - mix of linen and cotton. Great idea but drape weird. They look like jeans but flare like linen.

FWIW, I'm 6 feet 180 ilbs 40 inch chest.

I wanted a pair of white jeans but the only ones they had in store (in regular or slim fit) were the 100% off white cotton made in japan denim. The fit was great but I'm used to elastane in jeans now. Anyone know the hem width for the slim fit color jeans for a 33 or 34 waist?

15. spicycho

spicycho Well-Known Member

Just ordered three linen shirts for summer, two slim oxfords, a pair of shorts and some socks. Hope the linen shirts are good, seem to be getting good reviews in here.

16. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Well-Known Member

I have two linen shirts. I'm very pleased with them.

17. afixedpoint

^TTS or size down? measurements look big

18. surrender

surrender Well-Known Member

Received three linen shirts today in XS today - two white, one plaid. Size S was much too long and baggy (5'8"), but these fit really well. The only downside is that the collar is too tight, but I don't plan on wearing them with ties.

On the other hand, I'm not too impressed with the premium v-neck. I wear a size M in Everlane tees, but the Uniqlo size M feels a bit tighter and the v-neck is too shallow. The dry deodorant mesh tank-tops from the undershirt section (also size M) are terrific, though.

19. surrender

surrender Well-Known Member

double post

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  20. Hermitedge

Hermitedge Well-Known Member

Got my order in today. The medium slim fit oxfords are superb, got the navy and olive colors. The slim fit chinos are a bit whack, and definitely thin as mentioned above, but will suffice for work-wear. Aside from that, stocked up on socks as usual, and some thicker chinos that I always have tapered from my tailor.

I should've asked Uniqlo, but they no longer hem pants free of charge prior to shipping, right? Figured this was only early on when they did phone orders...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013