1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The (Un)Official Thrift Buy /Sell / Trade / Want Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jkidd41011, Feb 9, 2012.

1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Hey man.

There's nothing to get or not get. I made a mistake and I owned up to it. I apologized to the poster. (Sorry again @Irish Girl ). I could go back and edit that remark but it's been quoted enough now that it doesn't matter if I do.

I saw the comment, saw it posted ad nauseum all over the forum and thought it was a bot. Mea culpa. It looked odd to me and my snark got the best of me.

So it goes.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  2. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I would not do business on the forum with someone with so little history here. Perhaps a tie or something else small. But a suit? No chance. There are no seller/buyer protections here, and it's far better to be overly cautious than to jump on a deal from someone you don't know.

My advice to Irish Girl is to post more, get to know people, let people see that you're genuine. Then start dealing.

Perhaps I'm biased because I've dealt with Ridethecliche here and know him to be legit.

3. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Well-Known Member

^^^ you also give bad advice because you don't know enough about what you are giving advice about. Think about what that says about you. I've been a member twice as long as you, but have half the post count. I also lurked and read old posts for a solid year. I don't think you have bad intentions, but you are a busy body. Any old timers that think I'm out of line speaking up feel free to comment.

4. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I'm going to assume that wasn't aimed at me.

But lighten up! My initial reaction was also that it was someone trolling for prey.

5. ridethecliche

Yes, you've already made that clear on another thread though. So while your point is valid, I'm unsure why you're bringing that in here when we've already addressed it there.

But not everyone all at once now.

[​IMG]

6. gringodaddy

No not at you. My response had less to do with cliches response to Irishgirl (i found her posting in multiple threads annoying and misguided as well) as with the proliferation of posts giving bad advice to even less knowledgeable folks even newer to the forum.

7. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Well, hey, no one is perfect...

I sort of tune out the bad advice given by tons of people here. But RTC's post are generally much better than certain other n00bs who have popped up recently (not you!)...

8. gringodaddy

9. ridethecliche

I still don't understand why you're bringing that here though. I'd been using that other thread to learn a few things, which is why you might notice that I'll be asking more clarifying questions on there as well.

Regarding the darting post. I asked if he was asking about that, asked if he wanted to take the excess fabric well, and then posted a link. I didn't say "You're talking about darting shirts, do this." I was clarifying a question, not answering.

But again, that has nothing to do with this thread and I really don't want to derail this anymore. So if you've had your fun of spectacle, then PM me if you have anything to say. I'm not saying that what you're saying is wrong, I'm just saying that this is NOT the place for it.

10. gringodaddy

No doubt he seems a good guy and his advice while generally incorrect is well intentioned. I take knowledge and advice seriously and I hate to see people steered the wrong way.

11. Irish Girl

Irish Girl Member

Look im new here and had to wait 2 weeks before posting anything. If i saw forums where other people posted stuff for sale, i posted there as well. That's it. I have only posted this suit on here nothing else. I can't say anymore than that. If you're interested great, pm me. If not no big deal.

12. gringodaddy

Post in the buy and sell portion of the site for less flack and better results

13. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

The basic problem is that ALL of your posts have to do with selling an item.

You're an unknown person. There's no reason for anyone here to trust that you will deliver.

I would strongly encourage you to allow people in the forum to get to know you. Post opinions, share knowledge, be likable. Then you might get some interest in the suit.

14. Irish Girl

Irish Girl Member

Im a women and only found this site cause it came up on a search that someone was looking for a rlpl suit. If you're not interested great.

15. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

16. dazedstate

dazedstate Well-Known Member

17. ridethecliche

1) Check
    2) Magic 8 ball says try again tomorrow
    3) Juries still out on this one.

@gringodaddy . right?

[​IMG]

18. size 38R

size 38R Well-Known Member

Fueco: Really??? scaring off another woman?? shame on you.
    and guys ridin' RTC: he is new, and overwhelmed with newfound knowledge. "many posts, does not experience make" as yoda would say.
    even i have battled with him. but find this a little too much. so yes, this time i am defending him.

IRISH GIRL: Just join the fun! and become a full time member, join the thrift thread, and post what you find. you do not even need to advertise, just post it as available. guys will pm you if they want it. there is a great comunity here. and many of us would value a woman's opinion on things. so keep the skin thick. and hang around. do i really care? personal interest? no. i'm happily married. and ignore what my wife says. lol. shit, pm me if you can find stuff my size. we might make a deal.

but assume everybody's an asshole. - you might just be surprised that some guys are alright.

me? i'm an asshole, i defy the sartorial laws, tell the "Elites" to get f#&ked ,only thrift grails, keep promises, and trade fair.

19. ridethecliche

I don't think I've battled with you.

You're okay in my book @size 38R !

20. size 38R

size 38R Well-Known Member

ummm, thanks. and you really need an avatar pic. [​IMG]

back to business, i found a moustache brush for the handlebars.

but still need a nice cigar cutter. nice shoes in a 10.5 D. and wearable suits in my size. willing to trade.