1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Poshak Man

Poshak Man Well-Known Member

Their EBay prices include UK VAT @ 20%. If you are outside the euro zone, contact them and they will adjust the price to take off VAT. But they do this outside EBay via a direct invoice, as according to them EBay does not have the ability to adjust for VAT. I have bought form them a couple of times and paid prices with VAT removed from the eBay price.

2. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

Has anyone found the need to downsize loafers from their normal choice? Variations depending on material?

3. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Well-Known Member

yep, their vat-deducted sales are off-ebay

4. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

F last monk Chukkas. Indoor / outdoor:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  5. CLTesquire

CLTesquire Well-Known Member

Selfishly I hope people join this one. I've already confirmed my participation and would really like this to happen!

6. NYDRH

NYDRH Well-Known Member

Really like how those turned out, and are wearing in nicely. What's in the cup?

7. beargonefishing

beargonefishing Well-Known Member

I cannot, for the life of me, figure these boots out. I don't like chukkas or monkstraps, but I really want a pair of these. You have excellent taste, and foresight.

8. wooksb

wooksb Well-Known Member

Incoming --
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  9. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

^^^ Nice. Red cognac?

10. ThunderMarch

ThunderMarch Well-Known Member

I've always wondered, is Vass' "goyser welt", construction wise, similar to "conventional" norvegese?
    There's what seems to be a visible ? welt running part way up the uppers similar to what appears on a stormwelt. And the uppers do not seem to be turned outwards, or at least it isn't obvious.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  11. SteveL91

SteveL91 Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge fan of double-monks either, yet I REALLY want a pair of double-monk boots. I don't know why, it just seems to work so much better on a boot to me.

1 person likes this.
  12. wooksb

wooksb Well-Known Member

Thanks! Yes, red cognac.

13. peppercorn78

Thanks gents. The beverage is coffee. I'm extremely pleased with these too, although they are a bit roomier inside than I anticipated. I had to add a sockliner to take up some of the extra volume (I've got a low instep). Fit in 3 dimensions is pretty spot on.

Maybe sometime in the future I'll order another one in suede or scotch grain.

14. IGotId

IGotId Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about ordering a blue suede monkstrap shoe, I think you've inspired a better idea!

15. ino68

ino68 Well-Known Member

That would be an epic make up. Very distinctive!

I can't wait for pics (if you go ahead of course :) )

16. Notch

Notch Well-Known Member

@ThunderMarch

From 'the Vass book':

"A single-soled double-stitched shoe has two rows of stitching; a double-soled double-stitch shoe has three rows. "

"Unlike the more elegant, lightweight welted shoe, the welt and seams of the double-stitched shoe have an esthetic as well as a structural function"

From the diagram in the book, there is in fact a difference between the Norwegese and the Goyser construction. The goyser construction has the welt strip on the outside of the shoe, turned in a kind of 90 degree angle and squiched inbetween the midsole and the upper. There are three rows of stitches:

• The first stitch is used to hold the insole, the upper and the outside welt together.
    • A second stitch is used to bond the outside welt and the middle sole.
    • The last stitch holds the outside welt, the midsole and outsole together.

So besides the outside welt holding out the water, another function of this type of stitching is that, since the rows of stitches are staggered, the load on the shoe when you walk is distributed more evenly: "the seams will not take the strain at the same tim, but in a kind of wave motion".

Performing the Goyser stitch is very difficult for the shoemaker, because:

• all stitches need to line up perfectyle, or in an exact staggered formation
    • the shoemaker must make sure not to harm any of the stitches when a new row is begun
    • in the end, the third stitch that holds together all three layers, is performed by hand piercing an awl through three layers of leathers that are about 12mm thick in total

I will post a picture of the diagram later today!

1 person likes this.
  17. Notch

Notch Well-Known Member

a picture to somewhat show the construction method:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. peppercorn78

That would be incredible. I hope you do it!

I would do that myself except I already have blue suede and blue she'll in my rotation. Only so many blue shoes a bloke can have :(

19. Nikola

Nikola Well-Known Member

Do any of you guys have both the Edward Green 202 lasted oxfords/derby and F lasted Vass? Any photo for comparison purposes?

20. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Great choice. I've been wanting chukkas or maybe a tall derby boot in that shade.