• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Jorge

Reaction score
GY = Goodyear
I must of been mistaken, thinking that all Vass were hand welted.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GY = Goodyear
I must of been mistaken, thinking that all Vass were hand welted.
Correct. I used GY vs Goyser to distinguish the two constructions. Both are of course hand-welted at Vass - they don't own a Goodyear machine

Last edited:

gopherblue

Reaction score

Correct.  I used GY vs Goyser to distinguish the two constructions.  Both are of course hand-welted at Vass - they don't own a Goodyear machine

Yes, good point. But that raises a good question: Given that they are hand-welted, is B Nelson even a good option? Has anyone had Vass shoes resoled at B Nelson?

My pair of Vass in question have a double sole, and the wear is really on the toe and the heel. So maybe I just have B Nelson put on toe taps and replace the half-rubber back part of the heel?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Nick V. can confirm but I believe they can resole and hand-stitch the welt.

Not sure that is needed in your case, based on where you're saying the wear is.

Last edited:

etostano

Reaction score
Yes, good point. But that raises a good question: Given that they are hand-welted, is B Nelson even a good option? Has anyone had Vass shoes resoled at B Nelson?

My pair of Vass in question have a double sole, and the wear is really on the toe and the heel. So maybe I just have B Nelson put on toe taps and replace the half-rubber back part of the heel?
I have had them do exactly this (toe tap + heel on a double sole). As long as enough of the toe is left for him to do the normal flush tap, it is a great solution.

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very quick n00b question: Do any of you feel that some of the captoe models have a stubby toe cap like those on the PA/5th Ave from AE? I have since begun buying Carmina shoes because I began to detest the small toe cap that come on many AE shoes. I want to venture into VASS as I have very hard-to-fit feet. Looking at some of the shoes on the first page, the toe caps seem unusually short for such long and elegant shoes. I think what I'm specifically referring to is the length of the toe cap in relation to the length of the vamp: http://s165.photobucket.com/user/green-tea88/media/Vass/IMG_5539.jpg.html The cap toe oxford in the pic linked above is an example of what I mean. It has 6 eyelets though, and may be the culprit? This black one on the other hand has very aesthetically pleasing proportions:
DSCN1439.jpg
Even this wingtip has a vamp that looks very long relative to the "wing-section"
DSCN1741.jpg
Please let me know if you find this to be true and why it is made that way. If I visit him to buy the custom versions, can I simply request that he made the toe-section longer?
I have a pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenue and I don't find the cap to be that stubby. Their shoes are kind of stubby to begin with so an elongated cap would look kind of funny IMHO. As to the difference between the two cap toe shoes you posted I think it's largely due to one being brogued (taking up more space) and the other being a stitched cap. And they're on the F last. I think a non-brogued cap top in the U or K last would serve you better.
Vass can move the cap toe back if you like but this is something so nitpicky and personal that unless you're right on top of them in the design phase I'm not sure if you'll be happy. If you move it too far back the toe stiffener could end before the cap potentially allowing creases to form in front of the cap instead of behind it on the vamp. You may or may not find this aesthetically pleasing.

cakv

Reaction score

I have a pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenue and I don't find the cap to be that stubby. Their shoes are kind of stubby to begin with so an elongated cap would look kind of funny IMHO.

As to the difference between the two cap toe shoes you posted I think it's largely due to one being brogued (taking up more space) and the other being a stitched cap. And they're on the F last. I think a non-brogued cap top in the U or K last would serve you better.

Vass can move the cap toe back if you like but this is something so nitpicky and personal that unless you're right on top of them in the design phase I'm not sure if you'll be happy. If you move it too far back the toe stiffener could end before the cap potentially allowing creases to form in front of the cap instead of behind it on the vamp. You may or may not find this aesthetically pleasing.

I actually never saw AE shoes to be stubby, even when comparing them to carmina/Vass. I just think they aren't as elegant and tapered in their look.

I really like the look of the two semi-brogres on the right; the ones in the centre are too narrow in the toe. What last are they? I guess what I'm looking for is that the distance from the toe to the cap is at least half of the distance from the toe to the camp/throat.

When this the distance is less than half(as In the shoes I gave as examples), it makes the toes and foot look short as a whole

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have pics of a chukka in f last antique cognac? Thinking of this for my next make up.

Search and you will find.
wink.gif
I actually posted a bunch of pictures of exactly this make up in this thread a few years back:

Vass London Chukkas, F-last, Antique Cognac, size 43.5.
Sourced from Notch (thanks again!)

I hope you enjoy the pictures!

Last edited:

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you do the burnishing in those chukkas or did Vass?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads