1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

I don't think the price was unbelievable, shoe trees are normally included with Vass. Unlikely Vass would of shipped product at a loss, but we'll never know.
    (edit) Unless you mean Massdrop took the loss?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  2. taxgenius

taxgenius Well-Known Member

What was the price?

3. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

$495
    [​IMG]
    This photo is from Massdrop.com
    Nice F(left) P2(right) comparison.

4. rbhan12

rbhan12 Well-Known Member

I don't think that's likely at all. I have a very hard time believing the people at MassDrop didn't convert EUR to USD, or that there was a miscommunication in price. For example, J FitzPatrick shoes were on MD for $300, and normally sell for ~$400 with currency fluctuations. MD gets a lower price and sells a ton.

Buying directly from Vass wouldn't put the price too far from $500 either.

5. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Well-Known Member

from vass direct its 550 eur for calf/suede boots plus 40 shipping plus 30 trees (all euros). relatively far from usd 500 I think

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  6. sleepyinsanfran

anyway, back to pics (with my legacy phone no less!)

Last wear on vass saddle shell boots before they're put away for next fall/winter
    [​IMG]

7. tdes81

tdes81 Well-Known Member

Ended up $496 and change for me after tax. Unfortunately the P2 last doesn't work so well for my high instep (although everything else fit fantastic), so mine are now up for grabs. Really phenomenal boots -- I'll be sad to see them go.

8. jokb

jokb Well-Known Member

At $496 these are a steal. I'm sure you can easily find some who'll take them off your hands... or in this case, feet.

9. tdes81

tdes81 Well-Known Member

I'm cursing my high instep!

On a side note, does Vass have any lasts which are more accommodating to a high instep? I thought P2 was one of them...

10. Diabolical

Diabolical Well-Known Member

I don't have any experience with the P2 last but if you check Vass' MTO page it notes that the F last is narrower than the P2 and has a high instep. Based on the pic comparison, it does look slightly higher.

http://www.vass-shoes.com/en/howtoorder#text-2

11. NYDRH

NYDRH Well-Known Member

I have a high instep and the F is quite accomodating

12. jokb

jokb Well-Known Member

K, U, and F has higher instep but narrower (a lot for U and K) compared to P2. You also have to consider that these are boots, shoes may fit better for you.
    Are they that tight that they're constricting your feet? At least these are derby boot and open up the lacing a bit more, if they were oxfords, there's not much you can do.

13. tdes81

tdes81 Well-Known Member

Actaully they feel great, the issue is that my instep completely throws off the tongue of the boot (which has been a pretty common problem for me). At the top of the shaft, the left edge of the tongue is past the right facing, before I even lace them up.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  14. sleepyinsanfran

to hold the tongue in place you could have a cobbler put in a loop on the tongue, through which you can run your laces

15. tdes81

tdes81 Well-Known Member

These are so far off I'm afraid it wouldn't help. The tongue pretty much folds up against itself when I try and get it into place.

16. cypi2

cypi2 Well-Known Member

I followed @RogerP 's recommendation and ordered some Vass MTO shoes from @jokb .

I thought I'd share my experience:

@jokb is a very nice person and it was a sincere pleasure to deal with him.
    He is very knowledgeable about what Vass can do, and, he gives good advice on how they can best fulfill a customer's requests.
    He checks to make sure he has completely understood all of a customer's requirements before forwarding an order to the Vass workshop.
    Finally, @jokb is amazingly diligent in following up.
    Doing business with @jokb was a very good experience all around, and, I join @RogerP in recommending @jokb 's services for your Vass MTO needs.
    And, thanks to @RogerP for recommending @jokb !

1 person likes this.
  17. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Most excellent.

1 person likes this.
  18. FrogTO

FrogTO Well-Known Member

Cheers! Jok is amazing with both Vass and shoe care/repair.

1 person likes this.
  19. alford78

alford78 Well-Known Member

I know this may seem stupid but how does one go about purchasing Vass shoes and getting prices? Is the only option to email them?

Well I posted that while reading hundreds of pages back and see a post above that someone can work as a middle man? I don't want bespoke but would like someone to talk to that would teach me about how to choose the correct last. I'm new to all this in general so have only known what a last was for about 6 months and definitely have never chosen one to fit my feet. So I need a mentor to help me through the process to say the least lol.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  20. TtownMD

TtownMD Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Breaking these bad boys in today !!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    8 people like this.