1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Zapasman

Zapasman Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing VRaivio.

2. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

I'm sure we will be seeing some new orders from Vass quite soon after posting the info above!!

3. VRaivio

VRaivio Well-Known Member

I believe the pegs are used to attach the leather heel stacks to each other, finished off with the last one that's nailed down and left as the outer layer. At least this is what I've seen done in videos and it sure beats using just glue for the job.

4. Zapasman

Zapasman Well-Known Member

I do not have the book with me, but I think Vass uses them to attach a leather piece to cover the shank and to attach the heel rand as well. I have seen some outsoles pegged at the waist too.

5. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Well-Known Member

Thank you and I certainly will. I have @jokb as a local Vass resource, so I'm glad he will help me take the sizing issues out of the equation.

6. jokb

jokb Well-Known Member

Yes sir! Let me know if you have any questions and I'll help finalize your fit.

7. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Well-Known Member

@jokb do you guys do MTO orders for Vass, or just stock a given selection??

8. jokb

jokb Well-Known Member

@ericgereghty Yes to MTO

1 person likes this.
  9. brax

brax Well-Known Member

[​IMG] If the weather stays warm, today may be the last day for Minnis flannels trousers coupled with Vass shell oxfords.

4 people like this.
  10. ericgereghty

[​IMG]
    I know Vass is fairly amenable to adjusting styles, but does anyone have experience with (or seen pictures) of this model with a plain toe?

To me, this model would look better with a plain toe, and I think I might be interested in seeing what it looks like as a wholecut (a la Maftei).

11. TtownMD

TtownMD Well-Known Member

Getting that but in different color & modified style [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. GinSoakedBoy

GinSoakedBoy Member

Hey guys, i'm contemplating getting a pair of Vass double monks and was looking out for some sizing advice. I've browsed the forum but not yet convinced on the right size .

I wear a 9.5UK in Carmina Simpson / 9.5UK in the GG MH71 last - both are fairly snug in the heel and toe box. While the fit of the heel is perfect, a little more wiggle room in the toe box would have been ideal. But overall still pretty good

What size would i be in the U and K lasts? Is the K last more or less narrow than the Simpson / MH71? How about in shape - is the K square toe like the U or a bit more rounded like the F?

13. ericgereghty

@TtownMD let's have deets!!

14. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Well-Known Member

15. jokb

jokb Well-Known Member

I'm going to assume you got the regular width for your MG71. Are you more of 10 US with regular to slightly wide feet (toe area)? I don't own any Simpson lasts as I have wide feet but most guys I know go half size up for the simpson. Did you go half a size up for Simpson? How did you find the fit of 9 Simpson or 9 Rain?

K is slightly narrower than the U last and it depends on your feet's morphology if you need to size up or not. Since you find both your Carmina and G&G shoes fairly snug (but still ok), I would recommend going with a 43 U last first. This also depends if both your shoes have been broken in or not. You should either be a 43 or 43.5 in U depending on a few other factors. I would say if your shoes are broken in already, go 43.5, if not go 43. Safest is go 43 in a G width since it's only the toe box bothering you.

The K last is a rounded narrow last.

16. GinSoakedBoy

GinSoakedBoy Member

I don't have any other Carmina shoes apart from the 9.5 in Simpson last. I just went with that size assuming a true to size fit.

The GG is a regular fit MH71. Both the shoes are broken in so i guess that means i should go for a 43.5. What width would you recommend in the U and K given i would be sizing up half a size?

17. TtownMD

For what it's worth I go half size down from my G&G size on f, u, & k last

18. wigglr

wigglr Well-Known Member

Hi all!

I am looking to purchase my first pair --

However, i"m looking for sizing advice. I did some research, too.

My sizing:
    Carmina:
    Uetam: 9UK
    Rain: 8.5UK (Great fit)

Would I be a 42.5 on the F last?

Thanks in advance!

19. TtownMD

I am same size as you in rain take same size on all f k u last.

20. jokb

jokb Well-Known Member

I'd actually recommend going with a 43 in G width in the U last first (F is regular width). What's your ball to heel measurement? Is it a 10 or a 10.5, if a 10, go with 43 in G width; if a 10.5, go with 43.5.

When you have the U last, we can recommend your K last fit based on the U last. Also depends on the shape of your feet.

On the image below, I have an Egyptian/Roman type feet and not only do I go half a size up from F to U but I also go G width.

[​IMG]

I agree with TtownMD, you should be a 42.5 on the F last.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    1 person likes this.