1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

I figured out my sizing in the lasts that work for my foot, as well. I can always order more in the future ;)

I really like the U last and the P2. They obviously fit rather differently but are quite good for my feet.

2. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Well-Known Member

Haha, yeah, that's a massive haul. Make sure to post pics once they arrive.

3. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

Will do. The specs are:

1) Old English II oxford in cognac calf with v tip cap toe, v tip side broguing, beveled waist, leather sole, rubber toe tap, U last

2) French medallion oxford in whiskey cordovan, double to single (HAF) leather sole, rubber toe tap, P2 last

3) Old English II oxford in cognac calf with straight cap toe, straight side broguing, beveled waist, leather sole, P2 last

4) Alt Wien blucher in navy suede, single sole, P2 last

5) Cap toe blucher in chocolate suede, single sole, P2 last

Pairs 3, 4, and 5 are for my father. Pairs 1 and 2 are for me.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

:slayer:

5. TtownMD

TtownMD Well-Known Member

Very nice man looking forward to seeing your pics.

1 person likes this.
  6. IGotId

IGotId Well-Known Member

Anyone?

7. IGotId

IGotId Well-Known Member

Another question, I have a wide forefoot in general. I've tried on a Vass F lasted chukka in the regular width which seemed to be 'just right' WRT to width. If I want to order a balmoral boot should I go with a wide width or stick w/ the regular width?

8. Hotjock

Hotjock Well-Known Member

Back in the Vass shop today. After my London derby U I blood last and Oxford River 2 Bordeaux order last week. Now thinking to add some more smart/casual shoes.

Looking to place an order of the following. Thoughts/ other suggestions.

1. London Derby 5 eyelets, single sole in reddish/brown (teracota) suede U last 43.5

2. Double monk box calf Bordeaux F last single leather sole 43.5 (or perhaps better in suede).

3. Chukka box calf green F last dianite sole 43.5

4. Norwegian high boot Bordeaux box calf F last 43.5 8 eyelets (4 speed hooks).

5. Loafers Reddish/brown (teracota) box calf F last 43.5

9. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Well-Known Member

@mimo

10. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Assuming the overall fit is right they are no more or less comfortable than any other leather sole, save that any double leather sole usually requires a bit more of a break-in period than an equivalent single leather sole.

1 person likes this.
  11. IGotId

IGotId Well-Known Member

Thanks Roger.

12. IGotId

IGotId Well-Known Member

Any opinions?

13. ThunderMarch

ThunderMarch Well-Known Member

I do not have an F lasted chukka or boot. But I do have a U lasted chukka and a U lasted balmoral boot. I do not find any significant difference in fit with respect to the forefoot and toebox. So I think if a regular fit F lasted chukka works for you, then I think you need not change it for your balmoral boot. The instep of the balmoral boot is not appreciably tighter as well. But that's just me

14. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

I haven't tried a tall boot in F, but having just tried on an F last chukka, my inclination would be to go for the same size in a bal boot. 43 F works well in an Oxford and in a chukka - I won't mess with success. Besides, I am given to understand that Vass makes their tall boots very slightly roomier overall in a given size and last.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  15. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I have an F last ankle boot with closed lacing, and concur with the Rogmeister. I do take a wider fitting, but same for an oxford/balmoral shoe.

16. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Well-Known Member

Good advice. I'd just add...How was the instep in the chukka? If you have a high instep and the facings were wide open, you might consider a half size up. A tight oxford boot would drive me crazy.

17. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

I have a high instep and it was fine - I wasn't stretching the facings open by any means. Like I said, I haven't actually tried on an F last bal boot - but if I were ordering, based on how the chukka fit me, I would go with the same size. Doesn't mean I'd be right.

Nothing makes me more nervous than ordering a bal boot in a new brand or last - they are pretty unforgiving in fit.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  18. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Well-Known Member

Yep. And I'm really in between on F last sizing, so I hate to give specific advice. When I went up a half on the bal boot, there was still quite a gap in the lacing. It could have just been that one boot. Comparing Vass to an EG bal boot, the shaft of the Shannon curves just a bit at the facing and has more structure to it. Makes it a little easier to have a cleaner look when laced.

19. IGotId

IGotId Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. I guess my biggest concern is how 'difficult' it was getting my foot into the chukka (it was comfortable once the foot was in!)

20. IGotId

IGotId Well-Known Member

So I just tried the chukka on again (43.5); it fits a bit long so I may consider a 43 in wide...