1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. bobbers

bobbers Well-Known Member

The Vass are size 44. In my opinion I'm slightly wider than a US 11 E. Allen Edmonds 11E in the narrow lasts like the 5 and the 222 are too snug on me, but the roomier lasts can work for me.

2. rc121

rc121 Well-Known Member

why not order a wider width in any of the other lasts?

3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

4. justinkapur

justinkapur Well-Known Member

There was a great picture on IG that made me want to buy a pair then I realized I have a single monk on order from them

5. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

6. TheTukker

TheTukker Well-Known Member

Great question; would love to hear people's thoughts.

7. Gavinband

Gavinband Well-Known Member

Hi,

I think it's nice! Admittedly mine is a leather shoe with some suede but nice to touch and a good colour.

8. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Good to great. The thing I noticed when I was in the shop was how much their stuff varies. To be clear, it's all good. But as a smaller maker, they do have erratic supply from various brokers and tanneries. When I was ordering, they had some fabulously hairy full-thickness "proper" suede there in most colours. People often remark on how their suede looks rougher than some others, but that's the real deal as far as I'm concerned. However, I noticed that the black suede they had was thinner with a shorter nap, and I liked it less. It was just a matter of availability.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Interestingly enough, it seems like the vast majority of customers prefer the flatter, thinner, shorter nap. We've even had a customer return a pair of suede shoes saying there was a quality issue with the suede (too thick of a nap!). It was a beautiful suede

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  10. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Yes, I can see where you're coming from: the stuff I liked could be considered quite ragged, I suppose. But I liked how thick and fleshy it felt; a really lovely piece of full-grain leather whichever way round it was going to be used.

1 person likes this.
  11. Nik Telford

Nik Telford Well-Known Member

All this talk is making me excited for my suede longwings. They should be done in a couple of weeks still.

12. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Quote:When it comes to suede I do like a reasonably thick, dense, plush nap. But I don't like the ragged shaggy dog look at all. I think that why some may prefer the shorter, thinner nap is that is tends to be more even throughout the shoe. But a thick EVEN nap is the cat's pajamas for me.

13. Zapasman

Zapasman Well-Known Member

14. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Quote:Erm.... no thanks. But I would be happy to hear your summary of what you glean from the thread. Just to be clear, what I had expressed above was an expression of my personal aesthetic preference, not a pronouncement on comparative quality.

15. Zapasman

Zapasman Well-Known Member

jajaja, I must leave right now for a wedding with my black OEII in my suitcase...next week!!. Have a nice weekend.[​IMG]

16. bobbers

I found that when ordering a wider width in narrow lasts, the heel gets wider too and I start to get slippage; I think I suffer from wide feet but a comparatively normal heel.

17. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I am just the same. Time to look at MTM?!

18. bobbers

I asked the Vass salesperson about their custom option, to solve the wide foot/normal heel issue. She seemed to discourage me from it.

But I did get an MTM pair from Attila a few blocks away. It should arrive next week, and I'll put pictures/impressions in the Attila thread.

19. rc121

rc121 Well-Known Member

Didn't you order a wide width? Did you find the heel to be too wide? My OEII have a very snug heel and they are an H width, much better than my wide width Carmina which got very sloppy in the heel.

20. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Depends on the last and the maker, but I mean in general it's an issue - wide forefoot. I have a wider G and now a wider F, and they're not bad - though the former is a little sloppy over the instep. P2 and Budapester are fine in normal width, though I like the snugness of the F in the waist.