1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Quote:If you mean my pair, they are actually navy museum, though the mottling effect one expects of museum calf (as reflected in the museum gold captoes) is all but absent in this particular pair.

2. Faster

Faster Well-Known Member

Got the email.. These are now on their way from Budapest

Museum Gold
    F last

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    5 people like this.
  3. Sammy - Ascot

Sammy - Ascot Well-Known Member

Exceptional pair. Wear in good health.

4. Sammy - Ascot

The 3 piece trees gives no functional advantage. But it's aesthetically pleasing.

5. Sammy - Ascot

Absolutely Striker.

6. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Well-Known Member

Okay, who ordered the museum/scotchgrain austerity oxford boots posted on Vass' IG? Very nice...even with the monster pull tab.

7. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Well-Known Member

Wow! Those are great!

8. grunberg

grunberg Well-Known Member

Sammy-Ascot,

Thank for helping. Then I will take plain ones.

Can anybody help in getting idea of how looks gold museum now? They are so defferent here on the forum. As I have understood Vass changed tannery of museum calf several times. And their museum shoes were bueutifull vintage as well as just plain colour. I am only guessing what I can expect now...

I am very interested in red dark cognac as well as in gold museum. But due that OE II in that colours will be MTO, I would prefer to take more pricy museum calf....But I can't get imagine what to expect from them....

9. grunberg

Faster, great shoes, my cong... Please share some pictures of shoes and their leather upon their arrival. I am also considering buying gold museum.

10. tobiasfunke19

tobiasfunke19 Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    Can someone help me with sizing please. I have flat but wide feet and my toes are Roman aligned (see pic). I am having sizing issues and was wondering if you guys would consider helping me. I ordered a pair of P2 alt-wein in 41.5 that turned out to be too long for me. Next, we tried a 41G, which fits me perfectly length-wise but the width was a problem for my left feet. The shoes are cramping my pinkie and 4th toe, but only when I stand or walk.

I am looking on advice to proceed further. Should I try a last with a wider toe-box like the R or a last that is more symmetric like the P2 but in G-width of course. I hope to hear what you have to say in this matter.

regards,
    [​IMG]

11. Sammy - Ascot

12. tobiasfunke19

tobiasfunke19 Well-Known Member

@Sammy - Ascot , Thanks for writing. I think the G width was suggested as I insisted on using the P2, which is sleeker than the Peter last. Would you care to tell me more about the 3636? It is symmetric like the F?

13. hazwanazani

hazwanazani Well-Known Member

I didn't know Vass had an official Instagram account. Thanks

14. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

There are two: "gold" is the orangey one in the pic above, and "dark gold" is a bit more subtle. They are both made by Ilcea. They also have mid and dark browns, burgundy, blue, green and grey, if I recall correctly. They did get a couple of batches from another tannery quite a while ago, but all their "Museum" is from Ilcea again.

But if we're talking about quality, the Ilcea Radica leathers (forever "Museum", thanks to JL), are not actually of the same quality as a full grain calf. Not that the leather isn't good, but that this kind of antiquing process has its similarities with any other kind of polishing. If you see pieces of the leather next to each other, a normal calf is thicker and more supple.

Anyway, each to his own. I'd personally recommend oxblood or brown, but brown museum would certainly look pretty too.

15. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

If the last is wrong, it's wrong. The P2 is plenty wide - I take a standard 43 and it's generous, as is the Budapest. I need a G fitting in the F or U last, though.

One thing about the P2 is that it has a bit of a curve to it - great for my bendy feet. It's very asymmetric. If 41.5 felt too long, but 41G pinches your toes, then the shape is wrong: the two are exactly the same width, at least in theory. Did your big toe have plenty of lateral room? Anyway, I'd suggest you try another last - the Budapest might work in 41G, otherwise you might even try one of the Italian lasts: they are narrower, but straighter, so a 41G or H might work. Try F - the U and K have rather high insteps.

16. mm1025

mm1025 Member

[​IMG]
    Just sharing my new pair of vass. It is museum calf, u last. I am not sure what colour it is. And what colour of wax and cream should I buy from saphir.
    Help!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    3 people like this.
  17. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Well-Known Member

Received my shoes from @terrorsquad. Thank you for a smooth transaction. From the looks of them, I'll be reaching for them fairly often. The mottling is more muted indoors than the pictures suggests, which I prefer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    2 people like this.
  18. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

They look great. Can we (I) have some details?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  19. grunberg

Mimo,

Thanks again for very informative post! Actually I like calf (dark red cognac) more than museum calf... It's just ugly fiture to get maximum for the money paid [​IMG] Museum calf is priced as MTO level...

I love the mixture (colour/model) below. Have I identified colour correct (dark red cognac)?

[​IMG]

20. grunberg

Buy the way... What colour is that below.... Very lovely with that polishing.... Museum?

[​IMG]