• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you guys think about this particular makeup?

Punched captoe derby (no additional broguing near vamps or sides)
Single Leather sole
Oxblood
F-Last

Does it make more sense to do this makeup in a double sole and more broguing along the sides and vamp?

Any pictures on this?

Rikod has like the exact same thing. I'm not sure which model he used but I think this is the picture.

e501ebfd_34goflv.jpeg

It's very nice and I'm thinking of doing that next myself.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Latest acquisition, a pair of Old English II in plum museum calf, F-last, single Dainite sole. Lovely shoes! The leather is a bit less mottled than my pair made with Ilcea leather, as been discussed before, more towards what Lobb calls misty calf. For those who like more mottled finish, it's good news that Vass will buy from Ilcea from end of May again. The waist work with the rubber sole is really nice, they've trimmed it off to the sides a bit to create a small bevelling and a bit like a HAF-sole look. What surprised me though is that the hold heel is in rubber, the heel base as well. Never seen that before, a bit of a shame that you can't polish up a shine on that part, but we'll see how it will function.

Enough babling, here's some pics:

-

Last edited:

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful shoes, JI! Very little colour variation and perhaps better for it

partyof6

Reaction score
...Lovely shoes!

"Lovely shoes!"? The city skyline at night is lovely. A portrait in a museum is lovely. Those shoes are beyond lovely. They are stop-you-in-your-tracks, choke-on-your-coffee, wipe-drool-from-your-chin, stunning! Can't stop staring out those pics. Well done, sir!

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow, that dainite work is art. Reszo says they also have brown dainite available

Last edited:

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Beautiful shoes, JI! Very little colour variation and perhaps better for it

"Lovely shoes!"? The city skyline at night is lovely. A portrait in a museum is lovely. Those shoes are beyond lovely. They are stop-you-in-your-tracks, choke-on-your-coffee, wipe-drool-from-your-chin, stunning! Can't stop staring out those pics. Well done, sir!

Thanks a lot guys!

Is that closed-channel sole stitching on dainite???  Never seen that before.

No no, but they only stitch the toe part (look again and you'll see).

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@j ingevaldsson - that plum museum is fantastic. I will save a few pics for the next time someone wants to belly ache about how synthetic soles look awful on a dress shoe.

@DonRaphael - the plum has a decidedly purple / pomegranate cast to it that oxblood does not.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful shoes! How does the Plum differ from Oxblood? To my eyes, in some pictures, they look similar.

Thanks! Like Roger says, plum museum is more "purplish", and not as dark as oxblood.

@j ingevaldsson - that plum museum is fantastic. I will save a few pics for the next time someone wants to belly ache about how synthetic soles look awful on a dress shoe.

@DonRaphael - the plum has a decidedly purple / pomegranate cast to it that oxblood does not.

Cheers Roger! Waiting for a G&G Hove with single Dainite as well, will be interesting to compare them.

Last edited:

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. So I guess that raises a second question: with what do you wear the plum colored shoes? I'm having a hard time imagining a combination/any combination that is superior to the darker oxblood color.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd wear them with any outfit where burgundy / Bordeaux / oxblood shoes would otherwise be appropriate. For me, it's not a question of which is superior, but each representing an attractive alternative to the other.

My AC Camerons have a beautiful pomegranate tint to them. And they certainly get their share of outings in addition to my Vass Oxblood double monks

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
I would use plum in any instance that burgundy is ideal as well.

@j ingevaldsson

Your plum has the regular VASS leather finish correct? I ask because I know Italian Polish is a finishing option, but don't know if it's of any benefit from just polishing the shoes yourself at home...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads