1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

I really like the Alden shell PTB, but I think the Vass P2 lasted PTB might be even nicer looking (in addition to being better constructed). I'd love to get a pair of matching P2 lasted Longwings and PTBs. They really are very nice.

[​IMG]

I like the 3 eyelet blucher very much. Sleek and simple. Thinking of getting one just like this on the F last, but in black - rather than getting the Oxford. Any thoughts on whether to go for Italian polish or plain, and on whether to add a toe-cap?

2. tsasls

tsasls Well-Known Member

Italian polish might make a black shoe stand out among other shoes,but some have mentioned the polish does not last over time.
    A cap toe would counter the sleek 3 eyelet blucher look. If you choose a cap toe it would look better on an oxford.

3. Guero

Guero Well-Known Member

I like the 3 eyelet blucher very much. Sleek and simple. Thinking of getting one just like this on the F last, but in black - rather than getting the Oxford. Any thoughts on whether to go for Italian polish or plain, and on whether to add a toe-cap?

No thoughts on Italian polish or plain, but I would not put a toe cap on these shoes. It would look a bit like a Frankenshoe as the three eyelet derby is really meant to have, at most, a medallion on the toe -- it is most frequently simply a plain toe that demonstrates the elegant shape of the last.

4. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Well-Known Member

Some Vass double monk damage

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. theyare

theyare Well-Known Member

^ what last are those on?
    look too sleek for F and too rounded for U

6. nmprisons

nmprisons Well-Known Member

^ what last are those on?
    look too sleek for F and too rounded for U

They are almost certainly the F last. IMO, the larger the shoe, the sleeker and more appealing the F last becomes. I find the reverse is true with the U last.

7. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Well-Known Member

8. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

Italian polish might make a black shoe stand out among other shoes,but some have mentioned the polish does not last over time.
    A cap toe would counter the sleek 3 eyelet blucher look. If you choose a cap toe it would look better on an oxford.

cheers I guess it's like any paint: gloss goes to matt eventually. the Italian polish in my experience has developed a kind of pearly patina - and under it thousands of almost microscopic wrinkles like a slightly deflated football - it actually looks pretty good

No thoughts on Italian polish or plain, but I would not put a toe cap on these shoes. It would look a bit like a Frankenshoe as the three eyelet derby is really meant to have, at most, a medallion on the toe -- it is most frequently simply a plain toe that demonstrates the elegant shape of the last.

thanks guys yeah it was a bit of a uh dumb idea and having slept on it I agree with you the cap would prob mess up the lines of a shoe that 's pretty terrific anyway

9. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

They are almost certainly the F last. IMO, the larger the shoe, the sleeker and more appealing the F last becomes. I find the reverse is true with the U last.
    think you could be onto something there but not sure why - something about the balance of the design. I'm 10.5 in U, which is not huge, but they can look dare I say a tinsy bit snouty from some angles. The F on the other hand being more restrained looks good in any size IMO cos no element features over any other, everything is well-proportioned - very similar to the AS 48, but slightly pointier in the toe. F = [​IMG]

10. luk-cha

luk-cha Well-Known Member

11. NotDickDiver

NotDickDiver Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

These look awesome.

Not too often I get jealous, but this pair...

12. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Well-Known Member

Does anyone else have pictures of this (or other) F-Last austerity brogues?

Here you go... mine in mid-brown suede. The oxblood is lovely as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. luk-cha

Is this an F-Last austerity brogue in oxblood? If so, that is the exact shoe that I am thinking of ordering. Does anyone else have pictures of this (or other) F-Last austerity brogues?

Thanks a lot!

not oxblood but bordo shell!

some more pictures for you;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. nmprisons

Thanks, Luk-cha. As with all of your stuff, they are really quite nice.

15. luk-cha

These look awesome.

Not too often I get jealous, but this pair...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

another couple then to tease you haha

16. luk-cha

Thanks, Luk-cha. As with all of your stuff, they are really quite nice.

cheers! they were sadly they are gone now much i hope their new owning is enjoying them still

for me they are one of Vass's better designs and it works so well in the bordo shell too

17. nmprisons

Well, thanks to Luk-cha and Medtech I had a lovely phone call with Eva Vass today . . . pictures to come in about six weeks :)

18. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Well-Known Member

Well, thanks to Luk-cha and Medtech I had a lovely phone call with Eva Vass today . . . pictures to come in about six weeks :)

Congrats on pulling the trigger, although expect loads of PMs asking how you managed to get hold of Eva, secret password, etc. [​IMG]

19. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Well-Known Member

Some beautiful shoes on this page, boys. Keep it up!

20. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Well-Known Member

Here you go... mine in mid-brown suede. The oxblood is lovely as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mailman could not come soon enough this week - waiting for this exact pair!