1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

Some pictures...

[​IMG]

good to see a new post, the seamless counter is a nice feature

2. rioni

rioni Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a picture of The old english plain U-last in Oxblood?

3. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Well-Known Member

Question for all the Vass experts: I have a high instep and a wide forefoot. G&G MH71 last in 11F is a perfect fit. Santoni FAMs and Tramezzas work well, but C&J 337 is just a bit too narrow, the instep not quite roomy enough. Will any of the Vass lasts work for me? I thought maybe an F or New Peter but then I read that the insteps were lower. Can one order different widths from Vass?

4. Eustace

Eustace Well-Known Member

A few of mine that I was able to find with a quick search...

(Left to Right)

Italian Oxford (Sans Medallion), U Last, 6125 Cognac, Single Leather Sole
    Wholecut, U Last, Cognac, Single Leather Sole w/ Natural Edge Dressing
    Theresianer high boot w/ Medallion, Cognac Scotch Grain, F Last, Double Leather Sole
    U Cap, U Last, 6125 Cognac, Single Leather Sole
    Budapester, burgundy, F Last, Double Leather Sole

[​IMG]

Vass Wholecut, Bordeaux Boxcalf, U Last

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vass Old English Semi Brogue Cap Toe F Last Dark Brown Suede
    Vass 3 eyelet London Derby U Last Dark Brown Shell Cordovan

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vass U Last Budapest Oxford in Medium Brown Suede
    Vass U Last Monk Starp with Medalion in Dark Brown Boxcalf
    Vass U Last Old English II in Oxblood Boxcalf
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vass U last old English dark brown suede
    Vass U last London Derby burgundy boxcalf
    Vass U last chukka boot brown shell cordovan
    Vass U last Oxford Medallion antic cognac
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Worth a requote. Those London shell derbys and OE II Oxblood Boxcalf give me a broner.

5. aon

aon Well-Known Member

Received this yesterday from margoandralph.com. The U-last is really gorgeous. I wear size 8.5UK in C&J 337. U-last in size 43 fits me well. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. badsha

badsha Well-Known Member

^^^^ Damn those are sweet. Did the shoes arrive shiny like that?

7. aon

aon Well-Known Member

^^^^ Damn those are sweet. Did the shoes arrive shiny like that?

Thanks! I actually applied cream on them.

8. forex

forex Well-Known Member

aon,the chukka boots look very nice,even though I am not fan of the U last. Great score.

9. aon

aon Well-Known Member

aon,the chukka boots look very nice,even though I am not fan of the U last. Great score.

Thanks. I realized though after a while that the U last is really pointy compared to the c&j 337. Next time I'll go for the F last.

10. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

aon - fantastic.

11. luk-cha

luk-cha Well-Known Member

12. NotDickDiver

NotDickDiver Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Although contrarian to the general feedback, in my opinion these shoes are extremely vulgar. I have no idea what would drive anyone, maybe apart from a circus director, to buy these shoes.

13. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

Question for all the Vass experts: I have a high instep and a wide forefoot. G&G MH71 last in 11F is a perfect fit. Santoni FAMs and Tramezzas work well, but C&J 337 is just a bit too narrow, the instep not quite roomy enough. Will any of the Vass lasts work for me? I thought maybe an F or New Peter but then I read that the insteps were lower. Can one order different widths from Vass?

I'm not an expert, although I have been to their shop to try a few things, and bought 2 pair. And I have feet that could be vaguely described similarly to yours. High-ish instep, wide, with the maximum width pretty far forward. Or maybe I just have short toes.

New Peter is a bit low in the instep. I did buy a pair of suede brogues in that last, but while they look nice, they fit a little too snugly-- like a pair of socks. Also, the arch is either a little too flat or too far forward for me.

You may be best advised to start with 3636 and Budapest. Those fit me astonishingly well, although I do prefer the appearance of some of the others in their line. Anyway, they are wide in the forward part, and have enough on the instep for me.

As far as I know, they won't do different widths although perhaps if you were to go there to be measured they could do a semi-bespoke fitting.

I did once try a U-last pair at one of the AAAC shows. While it was astonishingly comfortable, giving great support and having enough width for the ball of my foot, the toe felt like it was 4 inches too long. Real cockroach-killer.

14. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Well-Known Member

luck-cha - fantastic patina! Antique Cognac shell?

15. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Although contrarian to the general feedback, in my opinion these shoes are extremely vulgar. I have no idea what would drive anyone, maybe apart from a circus director, to buy these shoes.

Who said I wasn't a circus director?

16. luk-cha

luk-cha Well-Known Member

luk-cha - fantastic patina! Antique Cognac shell?

yes they are AC shell, the pantina has not really developed as i have not really worn them enough for it to develop propper

i find myself not really wearing my shell shoes at the minute, they are just not as comfy as my calf[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

Who said I wasn't a circus director?

Have you thought about flat laces with those boots?

18. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert, although I have been to their shop to try a few things, and bought 2 pair. And I have feet that could be vaguely described similarly to yours. High-ish instep, wide, with the maximum width pretty far forward. Or maybe I just have short toes.

New Peter is a bit low in the instep. I did buy a pair of suede brogues in that last, but while they look nice, they fit a little too snugly-- like a pair of socks. Also, the arch is either a little too flat or too far forward for me.

You may be best advised to start with 3636 and Budapest. Those fit me astonishingly well, although I do prefer the appearance of some of the others in their line. Anyway, they are wide in the forward part, and have enough on the instep for me.

As far as I know, they won't do different widths although perhaps if you were to go there to be measured they could do a semi-bespoke fitting.

I did once try a U-last pair at one of the AAAC shows. While it was astonishingly comfortable, giving great support and having enough width for the ball of my foot, the toe felt like it was 4 inches too long. Real cockroach-killer.

That's disappointing particularly about the New Peter last, and the 3636 just isn't what I was looking for. But, after reading this, I'm tempted to try the U-last which I had written off. While the widest part of my foot is at the ball, I definitely don't have short toes. Have you tried the F last?

19. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Well-Known Member

yes they are AC shell, the pantina has not really developed as i have not really worn them enough for it to develop propper i find myself not really wearing my shell shoes at the minute, they are just not as comfy as my calf[​IMG]
    It's all about comfort! That is a spectacular shell color though. Still trying to figure out what I want for my AC shell. Leaning towards single strap monk. From there it depends on F or P2 last. Will finalize once I get both lasts in soon! :^)

20. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus

How come anytime someone sells used Vass, its a 41 (im looking at you walneal and luk cha)? Never a 43.... [​IMG]